It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Supply

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Do you have one?

i have 5 bags of rice and a bunch of canned food....Ive had it for about two years now.

Im gonna pick up so more rice (whole grain) and whatever else. rice lasts a long time, and it will be nice having food when everyone else is groveling before the ankles of the government asking for food.

Also, who would want to eat the food theyd provide? How much accountability would they have in those dire economic conditions? I wouldnt think much. Dont forget what the Nazis, Soviets etc did on a global scale just 65+ years ago. These are some cold people.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

cool, what else do you got and where do you live so i can take it from you when the SHTF... lol j/k.

I have a 2 month supply of MRE's and water. but that is just to help me get to were i want to go. once there i will be all good with food and water for indefenet

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It doesn't make much sense to ask people if they have a food
supply or what they have stored. The important thing is for everyone
to stock up and be prepared to survive if the time comes. Having
a couple dozen cases of canned goods is a good way to start.
Include the obvious, but don't include perishable foods that will
last for only a couple of months. Go for long range staples.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
MRE's are pretty expensive though they can be tasty if they're the good ones and will last longer than canned food. Cans might last 2-3 years and have to be rotated. Frozen food is a poor idea if the power should go out.
What I do is wait for good sales on canned and freeze dried foods then stock up.

Nobody wants to eat the same thing day after day (beans/rice) so you have to be creative and learn how to mix them in with other foods.
Pasta is great and spaghetti and linguine are the best as they take up the least room. macaroni etc has a lot of airspace inside so it's not space efficient.

Be sure to put away some of your favorite spices too, plus salt and sugar and some powdered milk.

You will also want vinegar and cooking oil.

Plain bleach will help you disinfect water, keep several jugs on hand.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A vacuum packaging system can extend the life of some foods by up to five times what it would normally last. Foodsaver is a good brand to use, but there are others, too. I have vacuum packaged flour, cornmeal, rice, sugar, powdered milk and dried fruits and nuts with excellent results.

Vacuum packaged products should be rotated, too, but not nearly as often. I have used some of these things that were packaged five or more years ago, and they were still fresh-tasting and bug-free. I highly recommend this method of preservation.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Dontreally:

Are you talking about food supply in context of soley deteriorating economic situation or some other type of major catastrophe?

Just trying to understand the context here...

Thanks in advance

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Find a Livestock feed CO-Op and buy 50 lb sacks of Feed Whole Wheat, they are going up in price but at $14 a 50 pound bag you can't beat it for cheap survival food... ( 28 cents a LB ).
The only difference between feed wheat and store bought wheat is store bought wheat is a little cleaner, no husks or stems, but costs 20 times more.
Before storing the Wheat spread about 1" deep on a cookie sheet or pan, heat in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 200*.. Let cool before putting in storage containers.
Drying in the oven lowers the water content for better long term storage and kills any bugs or eggs that may be present.
I've stored over 300 Lbs so far, it makes excellent bread.. Stock up now because prices are going up.

edit on 11/26/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: Spelling

edit on 11/26/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Being a poor college student, whatever I haven't spent on paying for schoolz I've spent on food...Who needs nice clothes anyway. I found at my local grocery some Top Ramen/Yaki-Soba type packaged food that comes with a liquid "flavoring" packet and a pack of dehydrated vegetables for 89 cents. I throw away the noodles because my body has literally become sick from eating them every day for two years but these have become my little SHTF stockpile as one bowl of this broth and some form of bread can fill you up. I even throw in some beef jerky. You can also fit about 30,000 packets in a standard plastic bag if needed.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1

Dontreally:

Are you talking about food supply in context of soley deteriorating economic situation or some other type of major catastrophe?

Just trying to understand the context here...

Thanks in advance

In a deteriorating economic situation

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
5 bags of rice is fine. But you can expect your water supply to get interrupted pretty quickly after TSHFT and power to cook with will be a no go. You'd better have an uninterrruptable water supply and a source of fuel as well. If you live in a major city this could be a problem. In a rural area, not so much.

Personally, I think anyone couldn't do worse than laying in a supply of self heating MREs. They're relatively cheap and are fairly freely available these days in bulk stores such as Costco or even from an online supplier.

They also last a very, very long time.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Surely widespread hoarding would only make a deteriorating economic situation worse, accelerating the feared collapse?

I'm going to register an opinion that may be somewhat inappropriate for this forum: I think survivalism, when practised by individuals and small groups, is folly. In the case of groups, it is also a form of political separatism, which is generally irresponsible and arguably treasonous.

Survivalism is folly because you can never be sure what actual situation you're preparing for till you're in it. If you try to prepare for all eventualities you will simply end up wasting most of your resources preparing for what never happens--resources that could have been better used to deal with what actually does happen.

Anyway, the simplest way to prepare for any kind of terminal social collapse is to make preparations to escape. Salt money away in a foreign country. Make your travel arrangements early. Emigrate and sit it out.

If you envisage a situation in which no country is safe--a situation in which human society around the world has broken down--you're going to need a lot more than MREs (whatever they are) and bottled water to keep you alive. The odds are that nothing will.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
No worries.. My garden is thriving.. Plenty of fish and the rest I get from the jungle or trade with the local villagers..

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've got enough water saved for every member of my family to get their recommended gallon a day for three weeks (FEMA itself actually recommends this....)

The wife cans all the food coming out of the garden; the green beans especially seems to last 2 years in cans with no problems.

I have built an in-ground smokehouse, and cure a lot of meat that way; in fact, I have begun to have people pay me to do their smoke work for them.

I have a seal-a-meal type set up, as well as a system of plastic containers that come with a thingy that looks like a bicycle pump; you manually remove the air, without requiring any electricity.

I have a large woodpile, as well as a gas grill and extra full propane bottles, since the most likely crisis would be an extended power failure related to the weather.

top topics

join