It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Government has issued a "D-notice" for Wiki-Links

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Smokersroom

And this virtually assures that everyone in the UK will rush to download and view the contents as soon as available on the internet. No news publications are necessary.

Unless the UK plans to shut that down too?

Seriously, the sheep are being herded here.

Too funny.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smokersroom

Originally posted by wcitizen
Shame on you Mr. Cameron - the man who promised TRANSPARENCY.

To be fair, it wasn't him in power at the time, was it?

It must be very serious if they are not going to take up this opportunity to have a pop at Labour.

Yep, and I suspect a little arm twisting from the US Ambassador.

second

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Erm, nice speculation as usual but most people in the UK couldn’t give a toss.

Not only would they not bother to download the files or read the articles but I expect that the vast majority of people you ask wouldn’t even have heard of the story. I would be interested to find out how many of those people have even heard of Wikileaks.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If all the papers would reject this threat, what could any government do? Shut down all the newspapers? If they did that than I think the government would really have a public back lash. It's the job of the press to keep our government honest and lawful. They need to abide by the same laws that they bestow on the public at large. If they've done something criminally wrong than they should be charged and those found guilty prosecuted. Our government officials are no better than the public who elected them.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Too true.

But don't underestimate the effectiveness of a clever viral marketing campaign, and being told even by word of mouth that the government is attempting to censor something because of "national security concern"

Curiosity factor in this case will make this go viral like nothing you've seen yet.

It is actually a very brilliantly done campaign this time.

I'm sure it will fail to live up to the hype, but succeed at achieving the ultimate covert objectives.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
What's taking Wikileaks so long to release the docs? I am very eager to know what these world changing news are all about. My best guess is that the docs will expose the corruptions done at the highest level, i.e. disseminating false info to sway the public into their favor, creating the chaos to sway the public into their favor.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

I have to agree with you. There's a lot of unnecessary hype that goes along with these releases. But considering this "hype" is Assange's preservation tactic, I can sympathize with why he does it this way.

Despite how damaging the information could be, the public has been very responsible with the information that has been released so far. For example, the focus on civilian deaths in the war cables was significant and warranted.

I would have to bet that TPTB are more concerned with how their enemies will use this information than how the public will handle it. Even though the public may disagree with the current foreign policies, the public is not the enemy.
edit on 26-11-2010 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
this is NOT about national security !!!
this is about criminal behavior
hiding behind national security
otherwise known as war crimes

edit on 11/26/2010 by boondock-saint because: clarifying

Care to explain how diplomatic cables between countires is illegal? The upcoming release of information deals specifically with Diplomatic Communiques between nations, not more war documents.

Or is a conversation between countries a criminal behavior now also? Its one thing to release documents that show wrongdoing. Its quite nother to continue to release doicuments that have nothing to do with any criminal behavior.

Assange has moved from the realm of whistel blower to that of Minister of Propoganda for the Taliban and Al-Queida. This is evident by the continued release of files that have nothign to do with his claim of attempting to end the wars.

In this case Mr. Assanges way to end the war is apparent, which is to say active collaberation with the enemy by providing them with information to do as much harm to allied forces as possible.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Can't get my head round the following, anyone more tech savvie want to chime in?:

From twitter.com/wikileaks:

Now is a good time to download some "history insurance"
thepiratebay.org...

this links to a torrent on PirateBay & I can't decide if it's encrypted or not:

thepiratebay.org...

Is this an insurance policy against 'unforseen circumstances' ahem

EDIT TO ADD: this has gotta be dynamite. Quite worried now.

edit on 26-11-2010 by HelionPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You have no idea wether or not the diplomatic stuff contains anything criminal or not. Maybe some of the communications have conspiracy to mislead the public, that really wouldn't surprise me any.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
this isn't shocking coming from a dictatorship that hide's itself behind a crown. the freeloading monarchy is the real power in britain like it has been for the past 1000 years.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

Seeing how Julian Assange has a connection with Australia and there is currently a post on ATS about Australian banks, I would like to draw a comparrision of recent (in)actions of the Australian goverment in relattion to the behaviour of banks and the issue of D Notices by the British goverment.

For many non aussies this might be difficult to follow and I admit this comparrison is bit weak but in recent times the banks have been putting up rates above those set by the Australian central bank and both side of politics have been huffing and puffing about how badly behaved the banks are.

The net result of this is the the Australian goverment is now going to take action (?). It is going to move away from the 4 (bank) pillar policy to a 5 pillar (5 bank) policy. At no time during this whole time this play was acted out; was the word REFORM ever used by either side of Australian politics.

Now Wikileaks looks like it might have some news worthy things to say about the world which in all propbability millions of people should know about and the Brits issue a D Notice to reporters.

Strange; that on the one hand the Aussie goverment claims they are taking action "to protect the people" by taking the most insipient action they can in order to be seen to be taking action to back their rethoric and on the other hand the mother Brit goverment is taking pre-emptive action to "protect the people" by taking a heavy handed action. In neither case does either goverment seem to give a stuff about the masses whom we are suppoed to be goverened by.

cheers

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
It's going to be evidence of war crimes, guaranteed. Transfer of prisoners for torture, renditions, all that fun stuff.

I can't wait...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Still think you people are over hyping this.

2nd line

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

A DA-Notice or Defence Advisory Notice (called a Defence Notice or D-Notice until 1993) is an official request to news editors not to publish or broadcast items on specified subjects for reasons of national security.

The truth will come out... they cant silence the world
They could just stop keeping secrets and telling lies

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Why even bother with D-notice to the media, when all information is on internet?

Is Wikileaks a CIA operation to release false-flag harmful information so they can control the internet by implementing filters and control, after these 2,5 million documents that is very dangerous to people's security (haha) ?

Seriously though, I think these documents might go back to WW2, since wikileaks call it a rewrite of our history, and the insurance file "History insurance"
edit on 27-11-2010 by conar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
When Wikileaks provides the password for the insurance file, what programme does one use to open it?

When I click "open file" on my pc, windows explorer doesn't know which programme to use?

Thanks in advance

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj
This only confirms the truth prior published and the truth of what is to come. They dont do this for crazy's.

Indeed and before they blow their "national security trumpets" they should have thought about what the were doing before they did it...then this "mess" wouldnt be happening.

I hope this whole things blows TPTB outta the sky

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

No , having conversations, and engaging in diplomacy with other nations is FINE ! However, if the nature of a discussion between say , Britains leaders, and European representatives was found to contain material which showed that the British leadership were in fact acting directly and knowingly against the public interest of Britons, I would want to know about that, and I would be within my rights to do so.
Similarly , if a US president communicates an urge to say , have a building blown up as a precursor to an illegal war, then I would assume that any sufficiently patriotic American person, would want to know that such a thing had happened (if indeed it had) so that they could tailor thier votes, and thier actions toward thier government accordingly .
Its not as simple as looking at the overview of whats in these files, and brushing them off as simple diplomatic communications. One has to observe the detail of each file, in order to assess thier worth to the public, and no doubt they will contain some absolute howlers! I mean lets face it , Wikileaks, say what you will about them, are not known for releasing boring, grey material. On almost every occasion that they have released something, someone , somewhere has looked like a total scumbag, and thats usualy because they have been being scumbags and have been caught at it!
This release in particular interests me, because it offers a look into a part of geo politics which you either have to be very rich, a politician or both, to get a handle on. More importantly , it allows people to see what thier nations representatives are prepared to say , and do, to continue diplomatic existance and communion with the nations to whom they correspond. I believe that the way things are done nowadays , with deals done about which the public know nothing, and are meant to know nothing, is not in any way democratic. I do not believe that in a democracy , political communication between nations can ever be secretive, protected, or immune from investigation and public scrutiny. We , the people of Britain deserve, and earn by our daily sweat and toil, the right to know EVERYTHING that our government does, and every day , the government earn our distrust and our ire for things they do , that we are blindsided by . Its not an equal partnership, with them constantly earning our anger and our suspicion , and rather than improving thier behaviour , they just bury thier backstabbing deeper, or slash budgets and up taxes so that we are too busy working to question thier bullcrap.
This release by Wikileaks will help us , the people, to see where the establishment is making moves which do not benifit us, will allow us access to the underbelly of the least pretty aspect of our political system, and crucialy give us the ammunition to bring it down, to excise the parts of our system which we find unacceptable.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well said, and just about sums up my own feelings on the matter.

Hope you don't mind, but welcome to my 'Friends' list

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join