It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybuddy ever seen a "meteor shower'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I was sitting up late last nite on the trailer porch watchin TV (it was about 4;00 o'clock in the morning) finishing up some wine when I look up over the woods and see what I think was a "meteor shower'-- all these little shoots of light flying through the air and disapearing way up in the sky over the woods.

Anybuddy else ever seen one of these?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It's funny my roommate and I were out on the balcony last week talking about meteor showers and shooting stars when all of a sudden a shooting star went across the sky and broke into two and disappeared. It was just funny because we were just talking about them, not expecting to see one as we were discussing it....I quickly wished to win the lotto and well that didn't work out too well.

I have never seen a full on meteor shower but i sure would love to!!

wait I just noticed your pic...is that you as Poppa Smurf???
edit on 11/26/2010 by mblahnikluver because: edit to add smurf thing...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks for yer reply. That sounds pretty neat.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yeah, I have seen them...plenty of times.
2nd.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Killface

Hi bud, thanks for yer reply.

At first when I saw them I thought I was seeing fireflies and then I thought maybe they was ufos (they might have been-- I saw ufos two times before once in Japan and once in jamaica when I was on vacation at Muscle Beach)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I used to spend ages at night on the beach. A few times, there was a meteor shower..sometimes it was just an exceptional amount of shooting stars overall...have seen a couple meteors during those times enter the atmosphere...those are exciting (and a bit unnerving) when they come crackling down and lighting up the sky...you wonder if its going to hit the ground in a big boom..

anyhow...fun stuff...always worth sitting up and watching when they are scheduled.

btw, its anybody...not anybuddy

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I saw one about 3 weeks ago.
I was in the woods and there was no light pollution so it was easy to see.
I saw 2 streaks across the sky in a couple of minutes.

Very cool.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

light pollution

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by inchworm
reply to post by DrumsRfun

light pollution

light pollution is like...bright city lights creating a halo, making it difficult to see stars and such..way out in the woods far away from civilization, there is no light pollution..so you can clearly see the stars..NYC you are lucky if you see the north star through all the light pollution

also, the moon creates alot of light pollution...

the reason you can't see stars in the daytime is because the sun creates total light pollution...understand?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Yes, I've seen a few over the past several years. Always fascinating to watch.

Some of these showers are quite regular and are even named. Here's a link to a page that lists the main meteor showers for 2010.

The Leonids shower was from Nov 17-18 and the next big one (and the most reliable) is the Geminids shower, which will be on Dec 13-14. I missed the Leonids because we had heavy overcast, but I'm hoping for some clear skies for the Geminids. I've seen this before and it's really worth staying up to watch, especially if you're out in the country away from most light pollution.

Best regards,

Mike
edit on 26/11/10 by JustMike because: Typos

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Thanks for all the good replies guys and explanations about "meteor showers"
(for a minute last night I thought I was goin crazy

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by inchworm

Most people don't see meteor showers because they happen really late at night and the sky must be clear to see them.

You were lucky to see them.

I have seen the Perseids twice and it was really awesome.

If you go out there again tonight and it is clear you may see them again.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I use to watch them when I was a kid, out in the country in Iowa, a truly beautiful sight. I use to watch a show called "Star Gazer"? on PBS, and they would always tell me when to go look. If you get a chance to see a meteor shower in the middle of nowhere, do it, they are so awesome with nothing else but the stars and moon providing light.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I've seen lots of them from camping in the middle of nowhere! They are really beautiful.
Theres none to see in London unfortunately you can barely see a single star most nights

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Stupid Nixie fact:

On a clear night, normal night when no showers are predicted, you can see up to 50 shooting stars. I have camped under dark skies before, and have seen as much as 7-8 shooting stars in a night.

I think even after predicted showers end, the activity can still be higher with residue or trailings.

That being said, a shooting star is cool no matter the conditions.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

If you go out there again tonight and it is clear you may see them again.

Sounds like a plan friend
(if I could invite ya over to my trailer to look at these stars I would, pal

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I saw once a year or so ago when I was working. My job required me to drive out of town. I was with a co-worker and we were in the country, no light pollution. I looked out the window and was stunned. It looked like streaks of blue green fire falling from the sky. It looked like they were landing in the field that we were passing, although, I know that it was only a matter of perspective. I thought it was the coolest thing. It terrified my co worker, though. She said that it reminded her of the end of the world.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
When I was younger I saw one in Nevada. I believe I was around 13 to let's say 15. We figure out when the shower starts and then drive to our spot in the morning. Really nice. Makes you want to live in the large mountainousness areas then the big city (Shanghai). I also seen the aurora borealis in Alaska. I have many relatives in good living places.

new topics

top topics

join