It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sci Fi Science How to Build a Light Saber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hi there,

I have often gone off into my little dream world in my head when I was supposed to be working
One of the things I ponder is if it is possible to build a lightsabre for real.

My main issue with this is even if you could manage to create a sufficiently powerful laser in a hand held device how would you cap it so it didn't extend beyond the length you desired...

Then I discovered this on you tube.

Does anyone else have any ideas how it could be possible??

Korg.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Awesome! I need one of those.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hammerofthor

I'll bet you could get it past the TSA dweebs too.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The problem I see, is that a plasma discharge of intensity would make the air very hot, very quickly and would consume the oxygen in a confined area very quickly. Just holding it near you, it would probably be unbearably hot, even contained in a magnetic field. We're talking 12k F / 6.6k C temperatures.
edit on 26-11-2010 by Smack because: spelling

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
To make real life lightsaber, all that you need are replaces it's lens and crystals with electromagnetic rings as contary to popular belief, it's beam are in fact are Plasma instead photon

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Smack

Ah. But if you could cool the power supply by encasing it with a substance that would reach absolute zero if the power supply gets too hot. But then you have the problem that if the casing is kept at absolute zero temperatures the material in and around the power supply would become as brittle as glass, so it would have to have an advanced heat filtration system.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Protoformer

That much plasma with that much charge will be very hot. Five times hotter than a blast furnace and right in front of your face. I might be wrong, I realize that Dr. Michio Kaku probably has an IQ an order of magnitude above myself and most everyone on ATS, so perhaps he's got that part figured out. It will be interesting to find out.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
How about going back to laser tech, arranging a dozen lasers in a circular formation in the handle, and using a thinner ceramic rod with a flat round flange on the end to act as the end point for the laser beams. You could even have it spinning at a high enough speed that there wouldn't be any air time between the beams.

I would upload a pic but, well its Sunday, meh.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalThinker88
How about going back to laser tech, arranging a dozen lasers in a circular formation in the handle, and using a thinner ceramic rod with a flat round flange on the end to act as the end point for the laser beams. You could even have it spinning at a high enough speed that there wouldn't be any air time between the beams.

I would upload a pic but, well its Sunday, meh.

I like this actually better than the plasma idea mainly because in my mind a lightsabre is exactly that made of light and not a plasma sword such as the one in my OP.

This weapon could also have additional applications, such as you could fire laser shots for long range like a star trek phaser, as well as the sword element.

Korg.

top topics

join