It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Italian Bread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Ok I am most known for making bread from scratch sans bread machine. I could never use one of those things. I would probably get annoyed with it and toss it! Making bread from scratch isn't that hard, it just takes time and that is usually why people steer clear of it. This bread recipe takes about 3hrs total to do from start to finish out of the oven. Enjoy!!!

Mblah's Italian Bread

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60ea20647a31.jpg[/atsimg]

Ingredients

About 6 cups all purpose flour or bread flour (I use bread flour)
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp white sugar
2 cups warm water

Directions

1.Add sugar and yeast to warm water in medium sized bowl and let proof

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87e0b81e61a1.jpg[/atsimg]
This is what the yeast will look like when you "proof" it

2. Stir in 4 cups of flour into the water, sugar and yeast mixture and beat until smooth. ( I use a spoon or a fork, no mixer it will kill the yeast) Once it is smooth cover and let sit 15mins.

3. Next beat in the salt and add enough flour to make a stiff dough. Now you want to knead the bread until it is smooth. It usually takes about 10-15mins. It's an arm workout believe me! Once you have kneaded the dough turn it in a greased bowl, cover and let rise til double in size. I usually just put it outside since the temp it perfect but I live in Florida, so it's always warm. If it's too cold outside put it in the oven with the oven light on ONLY.

Here is a video to show you how to knead bread. It's not that hard and don't let it frustrate you. If it gets sticky, which it will, just add more flour as you knead. It wont hurt it. It also helps to knead on a flat smooth surface lightly covered with flour.

4. Once doubled punch down and divide into two. Place back into a bowl, cover and let rise double in size again. It all depends on the temperature, elevation and so on as to how long it takes to rise so you just have to check on it. When you punch it don't go all crazy, just lightly punch it down otherwise you can kill the yeast.

5. Once doubled take out of bowl, punch down again and form into 2 fat "football" shaped balls. Grease a cookie sheet and then lightly cover it with cornmeal. Put the dough balls on the cookie sheet and cover and let rise for about 15-20 mins.

6. Once they have risen, sprinkle with water and cook in a preheated oven at 450F. Turn while cooking. Bread is done when it's golden brown and hollow sounding when you tap it on the bottom.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/269406c37f3c.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 11/26/2010 by mblahnikluver because: spelling

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

it looks good got cheese and wine
edit on 26-11-2010 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Looks good, I wish I could have bread, but I've got a Gluten Allergy, can't eat it, or else I bloat up and feel really nauseas. Maybe I should put up my own recipe here, got learn how to make it from scratch though!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
Looks good, I wish I could have bread, but I've got a Gluten Allergy, can't eat it, or else I bloat up and feel really nauseas. Maybe I should put up my own recipe here, got learn how to make it from scratch though!

Awe well I have never made gluten free before. I am sure if you look online there are recipes for it. I do know there is gluten free flour but I'm not sure how to substitute it when making bread. I dont know if it's the same amount or not.

I think I will try to make that next. I like making new things

Put up your recipes! I would love to try them!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Awesome.

Always looking for a good, simple recipe.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I use the same basic recipe for my Italian bread and pizza doughs - i.e., no milk, no egg. You may not approve of my method of just mixing the dry yeast into the flour before adding the warm/hot water with it all in my Kitchen-Aid mixer with dough hook and letting it do all the work for me. My bread rises so not all of the yeast is getting killed-off. If I ever feel up for a workout I may try your method and compare the results, but I'm essentially lazy and that isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Yummo MB, there's nothing better than fresh, warm bread with butter.

Where's the drool smiley?

Hungry now!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I will be giving this a bash tonight, im making some lentil and ham shank soup and this will go just nicely with it.

Just need to figure out a main course now.

Got a really bad cooking bug today

Edit: Decided to go for Moroccan Lamb
edit on 21-1-2012 by XXXN3O because: To add

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
I use the same basic recipe for my Italian bread and pizza doughs - i.e., no milk, no egg. You may not approve of my method of just mixing the dry yeast into the flour before adding the warm/hot water with it all in my Kitchen-Aid mixer with dough hook and letting it do all the work for me. My bread rises so not all of the yeast is getting killed-off. If I ever feel up for a workout I may try your method and compare the results, but I'm essentially lazy and that isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Thanks.

Actually no I have done that method before, one of my mom's breads is done that way. I have done all kinds of methods. I also have substituted butter with evoo many times in certain rolls I have made or biscuits. If it requires water I use evoo and water. I have made bread in some strange ways when I had to substitute. I dont like my dough hook, I tried it a few times but it just didn't work right so I just do it by hand. I will say an electric dough hook would help at times I must say. My arms do get tired.

LOL yea my friends are surprised I make bread and pasta so much. I remind them I have no kids and it's just me in the house unless my fiancee is home from overseas. So I have the time to do it lol

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Yummo MB, there's nothing better than fresh, warm bread with butter.

Where's the drool smiley?

Hungry now!

Thanks

Hehe
Yea a drool smiley needs to be added since we have a cooking forum

I am making a beef au jus melt today with the crust Italian bread I made and some strips of steak I have. I can't wait to use my bread for that lol. It will be so good, might have to post that recipe in here too.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

I will be giving this a bash tonight, im making some lentil and ham shank soup and this will go just nicely with it.

Just need to figure out a main course now.

Got a really bad cooking bug today

Sounds good! I like soups and my mom gave me one recently she made that was so good. It had hamburger, potato, cheese and other things in it. I had never had it before but it was good. I made a potato soup last week which came out really good as well.

I will be cooking with my fiancee's mom tonight, she has a boneless leg of lamb to make. I haven't had lamb in a while so that should be good. Im gonna bring the bread lol.

I always have that cooking bug....hehe it's going around

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

made this last night and it was amazing!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blair56

That looks delicious!!! MMMM

Im making a lamb stew tomorrow and I will be making bread, not sure what kind yet. I have some flours I want to try

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

2. Stir in 4 cups of flour into the water, sugar and yeast mixture and beat until smooth. ( I use a spoon or a fork, no mixer it will kill the yeast) Once it is smooth cover and let sit 15mins.

no mixer?

i know that if you don't use a bowl that's warm as well as warming your dough hook it would kill it, but from my past experiences as long as they're not cold but not scolding hot your yeast will be fine.... and will make kneading a lot simpler lol

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blair56

no mixer?

i know that if you don't use a bowl that's warm as well as warming your dough hook it would kill it, but from my past experiences as long as they're not cold but not scolding hot your yeast will be fine.... and will make kneading a lot simpler lol

LOL yea I have the hooks for my mixer but I didn't like how it worked the dough. Kneading the dough actually relaxes me and it gives my arms a work out lol

What kind of bread do you like to make most. I made bread bowls last night using my mom's Italian bread recipe. They game out cute but small, about half the size of one you'd get in a place like Panera Bread. (food place if you don't know it) I put some lamb soup/stew i made in them. They were great! I think I want to use a different bread next time though.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

i have no discrimination towards bread lol, i LOVE it all. Tonight i'm making an herbs de provence bread to go along with a mushroom gratin over filet of beef. I'm makin a fancy dinner for the fiance lol. I got good mushrooms too. #aki, Oyster and Chesnut. should turn out pretty good i hope

it bleeped out my mushroom HAHA shi taki mushrooms
edit on 27-1-2012 by blair56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by blair56

i have no discrimination towards bread lol, i LOVE it all. Tonight i'm making an herbs de provence bread to go along with a mushroom gratin over filet of beef. I'm makin a fancy dinner for the fiance lol. I got good mushrooms too. #aki, Oyster and Chesnut. should turn out pretty good i hope

it bleeped out my mushroom HAHA shi taki mushrooms
edit on 27-1-2012 by blair56 because: (no reason given)

Ohhh that sounds really good! I am deciding what I will make tonight for dinner. I have bread I made yesterday so I want to make something to go with it lol.

HAHA yea those mushrooms get edited out cause they curse word in it lol it use to boot people from chat and it was funny. Those are great mushrooms! I like baby portabella. I always try and have those on hand if not I have canned ones.

Enjoy your dinner and your fiancee is lucky!

top topics

join