It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxygen found on Saturn's moon Rhea

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Oh it's compeltely mind boggling. Anyone that says they understand it is all is either lying or Stephen Hawking! Some of the stuff is just fantastic, it really is fascinating :-D I love it, when you start to grasp some of the concepts you can't help but sit back in awe. The amazing things is we only know the tip of the iceberg, there is SO much to learn.

I'll match your passion and raise you hunger for everything natural space related.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
As far as I know, there is only two known reasons for production of oxygen

Plants (photosynthesis= life) and water breaking up due to ultraviolet radiation.

Yet there is no suspected water on Rhea, and surly not suspected life. They give some explination about atoms being bombarded...or something...I'm personally "not in the know" on such things.

Pretty smooth report...I flag this.

Wish I knew more...wish I had a bigger brain.

MM
edit on 26-11-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial
reply to post by Oozii

I wouldn't be suprised if the whole universe is living. We define life as WE KNOW IT and not how IT COULD BE. For all we know the whole universe is as a giant body not unlike the human body. Who knows maybe we are living on a scaled UP electron orbiting protons and neutrons. Who knows maybe its all Russian eggs
The closer you look the more details you find..

edit on 26-11-2010 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

Kinda funny but I had this image when i was 8 years old and i was analysing arround me the world!
Also Rhea is an icy body with a density of about 1.233 g/cm3. This low density indicates that it is made of ~25% rock (density ~3.25 g/cm3) and ~75% water ice (density ~0.93 g/cm3). So I guess water ice could have connection with the oxygen around.

edit on 26-11-2010 by Alda1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is really interesting and everything, but what I found the most interesting was the date of the discovery.

The article states that this discovery about Rhea happened in March.

However, November is almost over.

That's a really long time to wait for them to "review the data".

I find this part of the story very interesting.

We can only speculate as to why it took over half a year for such a mundane and basic piece of data to finally hit the MSM.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial
reply to post by Oozii

I wouldn't be suprised if the whole universe is living. We define life as WE KNOW IT and not how IT COULD BE. For all we know the whole universe is as a giant body not unlike the human body. Who knows maybe we are living on a scaled UP electron orbiting protons and neutrons. Who knows maybe its all Russian eggs
The closer you look the more details you find..

yea the universe is such a big place how can earth be the only planet with life?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
How much oxygen was found? is it enough to support life as we know it? What makes us think all life forms need oxygen to exist?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I wonder if anything could survive on Rhea...
I mean life as we know it is life as we know it... and we don't know anything!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
60% Oxygen?!? Couldn't that be a major explosive hazard??? Pretty sure. Maybe there hasn't been any ignition sources on Rhea. Man, if we dropped a match into that atmosphere, the entire moon would be engulfed in an inferno.

*I have a plan...*

hey oxygen is not combustible, it only supports combustion.
No doubt your matchstick will burn vigourously but thats about it

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
are there any others sources?\

I want to believe this, but I wouldn't trust the guardian with my imaginary pet mouse.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Reminds me a lot of this from a few years ago about Saturn's moon Titan Oil on Titan

Oxygen and oil, go Saturn...... well it's moons anyways.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Oh man.

Imagine waking up to this:

www.zmescience.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Just because Oxygen makes life tick on this planet, doesn't mean it does on others. Of course, on other planets, methane might be the magic chemical that makes everything go.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

Oxygen found on Saturn's moon Rhea

www.guardian.co.uk

A spacecraft has tasted oxygen in the atmosphere of another world for the first time while flying low over Saturn's icy moon, Rhea.

Nasa's Cassini probe scooped oxygen from the thin atmosphere of the planet's moon while passing overhead at an altitude of 97km in March this year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

.....and in other breaking news........"Scientists believe that countless used condoms found scattered about a rat-infested, garbage-covered ghetto doesn't mean that intelligent life is capable of inhabiting said ghetto." (video at 6:00pm)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNaR

Originally posted by demonseed

Man... why did you have to go there?

I mean, really?

On Topic: I think it does state that Rhea doesn't have much water-ice. But just think of the bombardment knocking hydrogen off of a weak carbon chain or exciting a particle in whatever elements make up it's surface. I think that is where they think the oxygen is created from. Or meteor leftovers.
edit on 26-11-2010 by Tempest333 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2010 by gallopinghordes because: remove offensive quote

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

And so it continues. More of the drip,drip,drip of information release concerning our engagement with ETs and life on other planets.

The Royal Academy to discuss “extra-terrestrial life and the UN agenda:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Britain to Search for Alien Life in Earth's Atmosphere:

Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It is funny how the Solar System is NOT the plain, old, BORING thing that NASA and astronomers have sold to us over the last fifty years. From a pretty boring system, we suddenly find ourselves surrounded by HIGHLY INTERESTING objects. Be sure to check out Hoagland's report on Iapetus, another moon of Saturn...
www.enterprisemission.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I myself am very glad they found Oxygen on Saturn's moon Rhea. Now NASA needs to start sending probes there ASAP to investigate for the search for life in any possible form. This is very exciting to think that finally we may really find life inside our own solor system and if that happens sky's the limit. Great find! TheMystro

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
AHH OK

hmmm Ice The Make UP of H20

How Many Icy Planets and Moon in Our Solar System Again ?

Thin Air - Cassini Finds Ethereal Atmosphere at Rhea
www.nasa.gov...

Well i find this Interesting !! I Guess NASA is Also is going to Study Jupiter's Moons a little more Closely !

Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter (JIMO)
www.daviddarling.info...

artist impression of JIMO Artist's impression of JIMO in the Jupiter system

A proposed future NASA mission to orbit three of the large moons of Jupiter and conduct lengthy observations of these objects. JIMO could be one of the first deep space probes to have a nuclear power system, designed and developed as part of Project Prometheus. With unprecedented levels of electrical power available, JIMO would be able to study each moon in turn for long periods, enabling it to settle such important questions as whether these bodies do indeed have sub-surface oceans. It would also be possible to map the location of organic compounds and other chemicals of biological interest, determine the thicknesses of ice layers, with emphasis on locating potential future landing sites.

Wikpedia

Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 27-11-2010 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2010 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Just read about it here:
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Very interesting to say the least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join