It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Artillery fire' heard near South Korea island

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

LOL i posted it? when did you posted it?

Any way this getting pretty dam serious people i think my predictions were right

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
NK has no means of delivering a Nuke so stop getting all worked up!

They tested two underground and their Missiles are ancient and don't work properly. The Nuke needs to be made small enough to fit onto a Missile which they haven't done as far as we know.

It's a whole new ball doing this compared to just getting the mixture right and setting off a very low yield one underground.

The Yellow Sea doesn't belong to China but it's close to them, international waters though!

I hope NK gets it's arse whipped because it needs to happen before they do get the above sorted and go thermo nuclear, then they will be a different problem altogether.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I've just been to the local store and picked up a few cans of lager, now does anybody know of any webcams in South Korea so I can sit back and watch the fireworks this weekend?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Just another thought.

If the US / SK was actually planning on doing anything nasty back to NK soon, surely we would see some sort of evacuation of people in SK's capital or the US troops along the border!

The border guards literally face each other, a matter of feet away, and if something kicks off, what they gonna do, just stand there?

Maybe NK will kick things off and we don't think they have the balls to do it so will be a surprise?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
The Nuke needs to be made small enough to fit onto a Missile

Does it? Why can't they just load it into an artillery shell? It's not like it needs to go very far.

Nuclear artillery

edit on 26-11-2010 by belial259 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

The Nuke needs to be made small enough to fit onto a Missile

Does it? Why can't they just load it into an artillery shell? It's not like it needs to go very far.

Nuclear artillery

edit on 26-11-2010 by belial259 because: (no reason given)

Better hope that NK can't see this on ATS or YouTube then lol, ooops!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

This states that NK can't make a Nuke to fit on a missile yet and their largest underground detonation was only about 20% of the Hiroshima one, nothing to get your hair standing up then!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

Thanks for the article, and it is a little reassuring. However, it is still only speculation about their delivery capabilities. Intelligence on North Korea is paltry to say the least. Western intelligence could have it all wrong, and they may have the means to deliver a nuke. Albeit not one of an intercontinental nature, but one capable of reaching targets and US positions in South Korea. That new nuclear plant was built under everyone's noses, and it was quite a shock to the international community.

North Koreans Unveil New Plant for Nuclear Use

Siegfried S. Hecker, a Stanford professor who previously directed the Los Alamos National Laboratory, said in an interview that he had been “stunned” by the sophistication of the new plant, where he saw “hundreds and hundreds” of centrifuges that had just been installed in a recently gutted building that had housed an aging fuel fabrication center, and that were operated from what he called “an ultra-modern control room.” The North Koreans claimed 2,000 centrifuges were already installed and running, he said.

This plant was completely unknown to the international community and the US until that nuclear scientist was given the grand tour. If this expert is disturbed by what he saw then it ought to give everyone a moment of reflection. North Korea is not playing around and they are not a bunch of cave people subsisting on roots to survive. There is more going on in that country than what meets the eye. We have know idea what they have up their sleeve. Still, thanks for the article!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I do hope I detect some irony or sarcasm in what you've said... It would be pretty worrying otherwise.

All the same, I find it worrying when experts report that the most recent NK A-Bomb test was "only" about the yield of the Hiroshima bomb. That bomb in 1945 had a yield somewhere between 12 - 18 KT of TNT, with best estimates placing it around 15 KT. Source.

Twenty percent of 15 KT gives a yield of around 3 KT for the NK nuke test. That's still one heck of a bang...

By comparison, the conventional explosive device used in the Oklahoma City Bombing of April 19, 1995 had an estimated yield of 4,000 pounds of TNT -- in other words, two tons. Source.

So, NK's nuke test had a yield somewhere around 1500 times greater than the bomb used to demolish a fairly large office block in Oklahoma city.

Granted, there is a world of difference between being able to conduct an underground test of a nuclear device and actually building a practical bomb, especially one small enough to be carried via a missile or fired from a large piece of artillery. However, the fact remains that such a higher-tech delivery system is not always required. North Korea would very likely have the ways and means to transport a nuclear device into South Korea by rather low-tech means. They don't even need to get it into the middle of a city (though that would be doable with a truck). Just having it on board a fishing vessel in a major SK port would do the job.

It would be foolish to believe that NK does not have agents, spies and networks of contacts in SK. And if the orders come through and they do the Korean equivalent of the "rental truck parked by the Washington monument" scenario, they don't even need any suicide bombers. Just a truck or a boat, and timing mechanisms.

Crazy? Sure. Impossible? No, not impossible, if there is a leader determined enough to make it happen.

All I'm really trying to say is that NK doesn't need any sophisticated delivery systems, so if we focus on that aspect then we're ignoring the threat that still exists. They just need some kind of nuke that will go bang when they want it to, and some way to get it to where they want it to be. There's consensus that they have the first, and it's pretty likely they have the second.

Would they do such a thing? I have long held the belief that even their dear leader Kim is not that crazy, as he knows who is basically keeping his country afloat (after a fashion), so defying Beijing by such an action would be curtains for him and his nation as China could not continue to back him. And if he did give the order and a NK nuke was used, the retaliation would be swift and merciless. So there was no way he'd go down the road of nuclear war.

Now, I'm not so sure. Hitler did some utterly crazy stuff. I don't just mean in terms of humanitarian atrocities, I mean militarily. Members of his own general staff who disagreed with his insane military "tactics" and "strategies" sometimes found themselves tied to a post and facing a firing squad. Adolf never seemed to realize until the very end that he was leading his country to utter disaster.

I'm beginning to worry that North Korea's leader might be from a similar mold and that he could do the unthinkable.

Mike
edit on 26/11/10 by JustMike because: typos

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
South Korea is now on it's highest alert level and it's never good when they start recalling troops from leave . . .

The military has called back soldiers from vacation to bolster security on Yeonpyong Island

Source

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Actually you've come up with an excellent suggestion there.
Good to have some links for Seoul webcams -- just in case.

Here's a link to webcams in Seoul. The text is in Korean, but no worries. Just click on one of the five pieces of blue text in the top line (that are underlined in blue), then click on the displayed images to get the relevant camera. Excellent site and plenty of cams to choose from.

Timing info: Seoul time is GMT +9 hours. e.g. 11 pm Friday in the UK is 8 am Saturday in Seoul.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

www.abc.net.au...

This states that NK can't make a Nuke to fit on a missile yet and their largest underground detonation was only about 20% of the Hiroshima one, nothing to get your hair standing up then!

I think most of us on the boards know this...

Nothing to get your hair standing up then? I'm sure this is how you would feel if you lived near the DMZ on the South side...

Originally posted by GoalPoster
South Korea is now on it's highest alert level and it's never good when they start recalling troops from leave . . .

The military has called back soldiers from vacation to bolster security on Yeonpyong Island

Source

This is a huge development...

Imagine if you got called back to Iraq after returning home for a 2 week leave...
YOu'd know it must be important.

edit on 26-11-2010 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Okay for the people who love this.

I've made a frameset with the possibility to display 4 live webcams in Seoul at the same time, while you can choose a lot of different camera's.
You can visit my page here:
Click here for my Earth Watching website
Stay tuned,
enjoy................
edit on 26-11-2010 by noahproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by noahproductions

I've made a frameset with the possibility to display 4 live webcams in Seoul at the same time, while you can choose a lot of different camera's.
Stay tuned,
enjoy................

Wow that is fantastic! Although i hope we never have to view it it's a really good idea.

I would suggest posting it in this thread here as that's the most popular NK thread at the moment.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The Big George and her battle group have enough fire power to take out North Korea. All of our Frigates, Destroyers and Cruisers are armed with guided missiles and who knows how much fire power our underwater vessels carry. Any action against the US during this exercise would be suicidal. No one wants to see war but we the United States are more than capable of defending ourselves and our allies.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Stay tuned,
enjoy................

That is awesome AND the cams refresh fast!! Thanks a bunch!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410

Stay tuned,
enjoy................

Wow that is fantastic! Although i hope we never have to view it it's a really good idea.

I would suggest posting it in this thread here as that's the most popular NK thread at the moment.

Thank you... I posted it in the other thread as well.
I'll make this a new thread in a few days, when I finish the Earth Watching Observatory.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by noahproductions

Thank you very much... That's brilliant. Kudos to you!
I wish knew hopw to do stuff like that!

I'd like to recommend that anyone who has perhaps been using the link I posted earlier, please use noahproduction's page instead. It's a lot easier to navigate and has the multi-cam advantages as well.

Mike

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join