It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone bought Gold??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Do you buy it online?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Gold can be purchased from any bank I believe. You just walk up to the teller with cash, tell them how much gold you want, they take your money and then they send it off to space along with the children's letters to God.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Let's say I had a house full of
food, water,ammo and guns,
and you had Gold..........
Guess who would not eat ?

The BrainGarden.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
No need to buy gold. Invest in a good metal detector and learn the hobby.

There's plenty of lost gold in the ground and beaches.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
i do have a few coins, but for quite awhile i've just been buying scap and underpriced jewelry when i find it.
i've been amazed at what i find at yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores.
bring a small scale and a acid test kit.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
all neat suggestions.

But i think getting good ol' fashion bullion from the bank is the way to go.

I have some 50 silver coins coming to my local bank
and 2 1 ounce gold coins.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

depends on money one has to invest.
i purchased a 6 ounce sterling plate at a yardsale, was priced 30 bucks.
i also bought about 2 ounces of 14k and a 18k white gold watch, all for 80 bucks.
took apart the watch, was 6 grams of 18k.

even after refining, for me this is less than half the price of buying a one ounce gold coin.

to each their own, i guess.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
there is a lot of information about buying gold online and what to actually buy.

If it is for investment you can buy gold bars, or gold coins. some people buy gold coins as they are easier to sell on than if it was all in one big lump of gold.

also WHAT bullion you buy is important some bars/coins have more value than others even if the weight is exactly the same.

Personally i think it is a bad choice to buy gold when it is at an all time high, unless of course you are buying scrap gold at stupidly low prices from people who really need the money.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

unless of course you are buying scrap gold at stupidly low prices from people who really need the money.

true dat.
the funny thing is, i buy stuff for the price people quote me. there is no need to lowball people when it comes to this.
if it's priced higher than i can deal with, i just pass and move on.
then at times there's the little ol' lady at the yard sale. i can spot gold a mile away. the same yard sale that i bought the plate at had a box of jewelry marked 2 bucks each.
i was digging through and there was a heavy pair of 14k and pearl earrings.
out of the 40's most likely.
'mam, i could just give you the 2 bucks and make a couple hundred off you, but i'd rather you keep these.'
no stamp on them, she looked at me with a questioning eyes.
took out my scale and kit, 11 grams, and a good 14k.
i handed them back to her and told her to keep them or put a price much much higher on them.
she thanked me with tears in her eyes.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Gold is the absolute worst survival product you can buy.

If you are really paranoid, you would want a nuclear bunker, storable food, water, solar panels etc.

If you are not that paranoid, and want a protection against inflation, you might consider gold.

But realize that it hasn't gone up as much as you'd think. Compared to real inflation, gold is actually way down from 1980s levels.

Now, if you still want to buy gold, definitely do not buy it from Alex Jones / Midas Resources. The company has been caught in up scandals, such as this:

scatattack.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You are correct sir,
If you have gold when TSHTF
The Loving Government will,
surely come and relieve you of you'r burden.
Trust me,it will happen.

The BrainGarden.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HereIsTheInfo
Gold is the absolute worst survival product you can buy.

If you are really paranoid, you would want a nuclear bunker, storable food, water, solar panels etc.

If you are not that paranoid, and want a protection against inflation, you might consider gold.

But realize that it hasn't gone up as much as you'd think. Compared to real inflation, gold is actually way down from 1980s levels.

Now, if you still want to buy gold, definitely do not buy it from Alex Jones / Midas Resources. The company has been caught in up scandals, such as this:

scatattack.wordpress.com...

I personally think silver is the better investment. Its been manipulated much worse than gold has, and in fact, when the manipulation ends, silver will have a greater appreciation compared to gold. So, gold is good to get, but silver is better.

As for your situation. I think you have to plan for all 3. I dont think you have to look at the world as if nothing is going on. You have to continue living your life and hoping for it to continue unchanged, as it has been since conspiracy theories have predicted the end (really bad from '03 on, and getting increasingly worse) of society. So, i still have goals in life that dont take into account completely the state of the world. I find this to be necessary for balance in ones life, without becoming needlessly paranoid and controlled by a situation that could be far in my life, and thus id be wasting my time if i allowed it to become too consumed in a future prospect down the road.

But i also think you have to also consider the fact that the economy will not get better, given the american imbalance and debt, that were simply on a crash course for a depression. So, this is like my main view. The former was the way i conduct myself in action, outside my house, but my feelings and beliefs are completely aware and convinced of whats going on in this world is completely real, and indeed, there is massive corruption that stems from the very top. So, with this in mind, i take two approaches to the issue of surviving:

The more likely scenario is a slow and painful contraction in the economy, with us living in tough and regressive economic conditions. So ill need a way to prepare. In those conditions you need a reserve of food. You'll also may need a weapon (for hunting, self defence). But as an asset, a security for a future, i invest in gold and silver because their intrinsic worth is immutable, and if im ever to live in a time better than this, the present, i can only do it by investing in gold and silver. So, if i have lots of silver and gold (song playing in my head) i can reinvest that down the road in the economy - perhaps a new currency. If not, i'll bequeath something of worth to my children.

On the other side, another part of me bought a tent and a bunch of other survival stuff that is suitable if i ever have to run and escape because im fearful for my life.

So, im prepared for three different scenarios and thus relate to this world in 3 different ways.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't know.
But Glenn Beck keeps trying to sell some.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
buy gold on-line................Ha Ha Ha

you gotta be kidding, any purveyor of gold in the form of coinage or bullion must need to be verified as a legit provider that can be able to give you the 'gold' to physically possess.

any source, including ETFs...can 'say' they will deliver actual 100% gold coins/bullion...but the proof is
something you will have to trust --- > unless you are purchasing gold coin/ingot/bullion in a physical exchange but even in that transaction one should have the gold product confirmed or assayed (at a fee - to you)

and that additional cost should be figured in when re-selling that valuable coin/ingot/bullion....

(considering that absolutely none of the certification entities are above reproach... consider ALL the
rating Agencies that gave AAA ratings to the Trillion$ of CDOs/ MBSs/ and like trash spawned from the
subprime and mortgage paper frauds..)

as for gold coins --- buy Canadian... or perhaps Malaysian or the Gulf States coinage that has as little as 4 grams of gold per coin... all these may be speculation also because no-one knows if anyone in the USA will be willing to trade or exchange those gold coins for product/food/gas/smokes/ etc in America or the EU

bottom line... i have only bought & held Gold mining companies as my way of holding gold assets ...
keep well in your quest
edit on 27-11-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
buy gold on-line................Ha Ha Ha

you gotta be kidding, any purveyor of gold in the form of coinage or bullion must need to be verified as a legit provider that can be able to give you the 'gold' to physically possess.

any source, including ETFs...can 'say' they will deliver actual 100% gold coins/bullion...but the proof is
something you will have to trust --- > unless you are purchasing gold coin/ingot/bullion in a physical exchange but even in that transaction one should have the gold product confirmed or assayed (at a fee - to you)

and that additional cost should be figured in when re-selling that valuable coin/ingot/bullion....

(considering that absolutely none of the certification entities are above reproach... consider ALL the
rating Agencies that gave AAA ratings to the Trillion$ of CDOs/ MBSs/ and like trash spawned from the
subprime and mortgage paper frauds..)

as for gold coins --- buy Canadian... or perhaps Malaysian or the Gulf States coinage that has as little as 4 grams of gold per coin... all these may be speculation also because no-one knows if anyone in the USA will be willing to trade or exchange those gold coins for product/food/gas/smokes/ etc in America or the EU

bottom line... i have only bought & held Gold mining companies as my way of holding gold assets ...
keep well in your quest
edit on 27-11-2010 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

Where did you get the information that canadian coins possess only 4 grams of actual gold. It advertizes itself as .99999 percent gold, and thus practically gold. If i buy an ounce of gold, i expect 1 ounce. Are you saying they mix other metals into it? Also, whats your opinion about Silver. Ive been trying to invest more in this as i feel it has a greater advantage than gold does.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I buy coins from this company. Most of my purchases are bags of silver coins 99% silver. Not for investment but for use for buying things if things go south. Stores and people can recognize their value from the dates.
For Gold I invest in etf''s like gld to make money when the dollar is falling and use profits to by coins.
Whenever the the dollar falls in value; commodities like bullion's go up and vs vs
Investment Rarities Inc. | 7850 Metro Parkway | Minneapolis, MN
www.investmentrarities.com...

new topics

top topics

join