It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Scarborough Suspended from MSNBC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Joe Scarborough has been suspended from MSNBC for making political donations to candidates in Florida without receiving prior approval from his company.

The Morning Joe host made eight $500 contributions to local candidates in Florida between 2004 and 2008.

The Street: Scarborough Suspended

Sometimes, I wonder if MSNBC has a vindictive personality? Why is it so wrong their commentators have their own people who they want to support?

MSNBC is not allowed to tell them who they can and can't give donations to.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

Actually, as a contract employee, you and the employer can agree on almost ANY conditions of employment and compensation.

Moreover, so long as the MSM wants to at least pretend to be objective, they cannot have their news anchors, hosts and "reporters" taking political positions.

Just look at what's happened recently to others.

Years ago, before you were born, it was EXPECTED of "news" people to be objective, hard as that may be to believe.

Objectivity used to be the primary goal of "news" and the MSM, rather than criticism, commentary and persuasion.

I know that may be hard to believe for anyone under 40, but there used to be "standards and practices" that were adhered to which were supposed to ensure that "news" was reported instead of created by the MSM.

Of course, there were always "commentators," but they were not pretending to be reporters - it was understood that they were voicing an opinion, and not flavoring news with ideologies.
edit on 26-11-2010 by jdub297 because: r

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Yeah, NEWS.

What these guys do on their own time is their own business... And their not news anchors. They're political commentators.

Let's not state that MSNBC or Fox News or CNN is here to present us the news with no sides on the issue. MSNBC and Fox will pick sides, and that's how it is.

Commentators are able to do that, but you don't see Scarborough or Olbermann campaigning for the people they donated on their shows, do you?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
lol, its called george soros
2nd line

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mak Manto
reply to post by jdub297

Yeah, NEWS.

What these guys do on their own time is their own business... And their not news anchors. They're political commentators.

Let's not state that MSNBC or Fox News or CNN is here to present us the news with no sides on the issue. MSNBC and Fox will pick sides, and that's how it is.

Commentators are able to do that, but you don't see Scarborough or Olbermann campaigning for the people they donated on their shows, do you?

You completely missed the point, and jumped to the explanation elaboration I offered because if you had to ask the question, you seemed not to be aware.

The primary answer is that an employer and employee can agree on almost ANY conditions of employment, AND that most MSM make it a condition that employees NOT engage in political support or endorsements.

Simple enough?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
can I request my employees to support ron paul as condition of employment?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaxpayersUnleashed

Well, that's what the unions do. Only it's not Ron Paul, it's anything Democratic. No matter whether it's good for the people, just that it's good for the pockets of the union big-wigs.

So, basically it's only okay if you are working in a union.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes

Originally posted by TaxpayersUnleashed

Well, that's what the unions do. Only it's not Ron Paul, it's anything Democratic. No matter whether it's good for the people, just that it's good for the pockets of the union big-wigs.

So, basically it's only okay if you are working in a union.

That total BS. My Local 480 never endorsed any political party or candidate. But we know who the union busters are so the big corps can increase the bottom line for their stockholders on the backs of the people that actually do the work.

Cut and pasting from the Limbaugh Letter should be a violation of the T&C

BTW Joe is a Union member AFTRA. What a hypocrite ragging on unions when he is a member of one.

edit on 27-11-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
MSNBC is just trying to save face.

They made themselves look like fools when Olberman was unsuspended after the televised response he gave. Those rules were never in the contact he signed or part of any rulebook that MSNBC has.

So what do they do? They go back 6 years and find a legitamite case of somebody breaking the policy, 500$ worth of breaking apparently and then suspend them.

Just to save face.

Nothing more.

I agree that employers have the right to put things into contract which an employee must follow. I agree, it makes sense that if you are a political commentator and somebody who is paraded as a "news anchor" ( which I know they are not) then you should be letting people know who and when you contribute campaigns funds.

~Keeper

top topics

join