It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, it's NUTS!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WashingtonGrewHemp

it may say that in the old OT but deffinetely not in the new testament. A lot of things in the OT were changed after the coming of the Mangod!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

What about Jesus saying, "I bring not peace, but a sword." Isn't that a little violent? Also, have you read any of the Gnostic Gospels? He apparently killed animals as a child. Is this Jew someone you really want to worship?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Wow. Pretty direct, eh?

Originally posted by Haydn_17
What the hell are you religous people doing with your lifes? Seriously!! Living by the rules of some ancient book, written by who the hell,knows, for whatever reason.

You've got your facts wrong.
Not all religions are based upon "laws from a book."
Some are just stories.

]
Its the year 2010, almost 2011! Our origins are almost 100% confirmed, the way the galaxies came into existence is far more convincing of that, God created the earth in 5 days or whatever it was.

Think about it, Adam and Eve the supposed first Humans, thats right folks, 2 people on Earth TWO. So they must of had sex about 1000000 times, and eve must of had 100's if not thousands of children, one big incest family right?

Why is it that when you mention 'religion'...you're basing it on Christianity...
Other religions have different creation stories..amazing ones...

You don't KNOW what happened so how are you SURE.
And you know what? Many religions mix the whole Big Bang theory with their arguments...

And we're to be honest, only here due to evolution..and that still is a theory.

Religion is the scourage of humanity, dont say this you might offend, dont do that, oh no you cant eat this, or you cant drink that.

I disagree. It's not.
There are many ways religion has helped the world..
What's wrong with that? Not eating certain foods?
I don't eat beef...my religion DOES NOT tell me not to..but cows are considered sacred so we CHOOSE not to.

There's a difference.

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by Haydn_17

What do you seriously hope to achieve with this thread?

Exactly what I've been thinking...this topic has come up again and again and again...just find another one of those threads and post in there...no point repeating the same thread...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Probably the most ignorant and narrow minded thread I've ever read on here, if I'm honest.
edit on 26-11-2010 by KatieVA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WashingtonGrewHemp

he comes with a sword when there are no believers left. and i do not think that Jesus killed animals as he was a child, why do you know all thins fake stuff about Jesus? You could be Satan.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

The Gnostic Gospels were the written stories of Jesus that were excluded from the New Testament during the Council of Nicea in 350 AD. I'm not making up fake things about Jesus, I'm just telling you. Do you really think Christianity helps anybody?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Check it out, it's by Elaine Pagels: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290798089&sr=8-1

It's an interesting read to say the least.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Most people don't live by the rules of the Bible, even fundamentalists who think its the Word of God don't abide by its every rule (thank goodness). After all when was the last time we had Witch burnings and put people who work on the Sabbath to death. Or how about stoning your daughter to death when she has sex before marriage? (that's in Deuteronomy 22). When was the last time we heard of a Christian keeping slaves, slavery is condoned in the Bible and the Bible even gives tips on how hard you can beat your slave and says that you can sell your daughter into slavery.

Most also don't do what Christ taught. For one thing they pray in Church which Jesus was against. Jesus tells his disciples explicitly to pray in secret.

I don't think we should insult the people however, just the religion itself, because it isn't the people that are stupid, they've just been misled. I was misled as a child, I was raised as a fundamentalist, it takes years to break religious programming.

The best advice I can give any Christian is to read the Bible from cover to cover without any apologetic supplements and without asking a priest when they have a question about it. Just read it themselves and think about it themselves.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Most people don't live by the rules of the Bible, even fundamentalists who think its the Word of God don't abide by its every rule (thank goodness). After all when was the last time we had Witch burnings and put people who work on the Sabbath to death. Or how about stoning your daughter to death when she has sex before marriage? (that's in Deuteronomy 22). When was the last time we heard of a Christian keeping slaves, slavery is condoned in the Bible and the Bible even gives tips on how hard you can beat your slave and says that you can sell your daughter into slavery.

Most also don't do what Christ taught. For one thing they pray in Church which Jesus was against. Jesus tells his disciples explicitly to pray in secret.

I don't think we should insult the people however, just the religion itself, because it isn't the people that are stupid, they've just been misled. I was misled as a child, I was raised as a fundamentalist, it takes years to break religious programming.

The best advice I can give any Christian is to read the Bible from cover to cover without any apologetic supplements and without asking a priest when they have a question about it. Just read it themselves and think about it themselves.

Great idea to read and interpret the Bible yourself. That gave us the witch burnings and Wahhabists.

If you interpret the book yourself then there is no religion. If that is your goal then great. But...
religion is about what was said. why it was said, in what context it was said and the translation must be correct.

If you don't understand all this then you have anarchy. Which also may be your goal.

YOU are not smart enough to put all this together. Anymore then you put together an airplane model without the instructions. Or walk into a bike store and leave with a bike and successfully ride it home without instructions.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

That gave us the witch burnings

Apparently you never read the Bible.

In Exodus 22:18 God directly says that witches should be killed. He also says in that same chapter than anyone worshiping a God other than him should be killed as well. The God of the Bible is about as anti Freedom of Religion as they come which is why I can't figure out why so many Christians seem to be in love with the founding Fathers and Constitution in general.

Most, if not all people, interpret the Bible themselves, its nearly impossible not to interpret new information, past experience and thought patterns immediately put a unique spin on the information as it is given.

The ability to interpret and reinterpret religion is the only reason it survived, had it been only strict literalist religious dogma it would have been expunged long ago. Also, to claim that people should not interpret the Bible themselves is absurd, would you prefer they become even more brainwashed? Just zombies being spoonfed by some guy standing at a pulpit? I'm not a fan of religion as a whole but those people within a religion who actually have opinions, interpretations and open-minds are far more tolerable than the close minded fundamentalists and literalists who believe everything they've ever been told.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join