It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Are Saying Boycott Walmart On Black Friday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

What are your thoughts on this?
I know many people here hate walmart and many people like it.

Firstly i'd say good for these students, Chicago is definately a different place with areas with very intelligent well-mannered people. Yes I said some parts but still, they do shine.

Should more people boycot Walmart, what about people who could only afford walmart?
Thoughts ATS?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I would have to agree with them on this video. Even though I have no plans to shop at walmart anytime soon. I see forced labor as a bad thing here and in other countries. walmart is a multi-billion dollar company and they have a lot of power to back that up.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Walmart has it's place. We're having an event for the local food bank tomorrow night and I got more for my dollars at WM. That means more food for those that need it.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Walmart ethically is not good. But when you dont have enough money to buy groceries, ethics dont matter anymore. Walmart offers the best value for your money for the poor. Now as far as sheeples mindlessly buying electronics and whatnots then by all means- boycott away. But im grateful for walmart (which before i became disabled I used to make fun of) because I now know what it means to stretch the dollar. In this economy there are many more now in this position.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Today I thought about what I believed and I believe in evolution. Applying Darwin's ideals to today's world I can see Darwinism in action today. The world changing and people adapting. I can't save everyone. Still I enjoy to help people who I respect or feel that should be helped.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Too many people are living on tight budgets.Stores,
like wal-mart,allows people to buy what they need.
The sad part is,these people don't have many choices
where they can shop.People are slowly being herded
to shop where they are told to.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm sorry but any person that lets another take advantage of them is just plain old weak. I can understand the children but adults?? What countries like China and N Korea need to do is resist, revolt do what our ancestors did. If you want freedom you have to be willing to fight for it, the old saying live on your knees or die on your feet rings oh so true. If these silly students want to do something for the poor people that get taken advantage of, let them go to those countries and fight along side of repressed and the poor. Because all I see is some spoiled kids that have no real grasp on what reality really is. They think that by simple protest you can solve anything, and the fight they are staging on this level is pointless they need to move the fight to where it really counts. Sure people will die but in the long run the price of freedom is deeply entangled with the value on individual life. This is what our countries should be doing , dismantling regimes that repress people and treat them like slaves. I am in the United States and so far I haven't seen any African Americans who were one of histories biggest population repressed do anything about what is going on in these other countries? So to make a long story short it seems that take care of yourself and worry about nobody else is alive and well in this modern day, else of all people these people would be on the front lines helping rid this world of the slavery that still exists. Have a pleasant day ATS, or is that a peasant day???

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
As long as WalMart stays away from the Unions, I will support them.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
If you're boycotting WalMart because of low pay and worker treatment, I would suggest boycotting companies that ship all their jobs overseas and don't even hire any Americans (or very few) would be a lot more productive.

Oh, I forgot. In order to do this, you will ALL have to give up your cell phones.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

The same with many other items. Still it's a huge feet in order to get many people to buy from their home countries then global business like Walmart, Apple and Microsoft computers, and so forth. Walmart is cheap, Computers made by Apple, HP and Microsoft are very popular and heck even the band Kiss was very big in the world and capitalized on their image. I bet many sweatshop workers made all their over priced cheap items.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

You're right, Wal-mart will always stay away from Unions.

Because that would force them to offer their staff promotions and raises for loyalty and experience.

...Instead of using the most favorable procedures to the benefit of the corporation that has been sucking the money out of the people for a long time.

Face it, if Wal-mart wasn't in your town, instead of slaving from paycheck to paycheck right now you could be running a fish market on the corner. Too bad the rollback season is in effect; only Wal-Mart is allowed to make sales around this time of year.

The Walton family should be burned at the stake for their treason to the American "free market". Wal-Mart is capitalism's biggest embarrassment.
edit on 25-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Boycott Black Friday, period! I would LOVE to see that happen.

Enjoy:

edit on 25-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well, I'm poor, and I absolutely don't shop at Walmart. If Sam Walton could see what his greedy family and CEO's have done with his company and the way they treat their workers he'd roll over in his grave.
I get just as low prices at Family Dollar, Dollar General and Krogers, plus, Walmarts produce is tasteless. Another local grocery store just went out of business thanks them.
I really hate Walmart.
AliWV

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AliWV

That's how the capitalist market works. What else were you expecting? Walmart to buy the reaming business and then open the store?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood

Originally posted by Carseller4

You're right, Wal-mart will always stay away from Unions.

Because that would force them to offer their staff promotions and raises for loyalty and experience.

...Instead of using the most favorable procedures to the benefit of the corporation that has been sucking the money out of the people for a long time.

Face it, if Wal-mart wasn't in your town, instead of slaving from paycheck to paycheck right now you could be running a fish market on the corner. Too bad the rollback season is in effect; only Wal-Mart is allowed to make sales around this time of year.

The Walton family should be burned at the stake for their treason to the American "free market". Wal-Mart is capitalism's biggest embarrassment.

Unions offering promotions based on loyalty and experience!!!!! Thats funny, any union job I ever had all I ever heard was " Get your time in" by the old timers that I could work circles around and had more knowledge than them. Personally I feel unions have ruined our country. They stopped caring about the little guy a long time ago...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Some of the stuff Wal-mart sells will cost less elsewhere. They're no longer always the best price.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Those students could have presented those facts a little better, but at least I hope students have some kind of knowledge as to what is really going on with corporations like Walmart.

Boycotting seems like a great idea. Now, if only everyone could wake up.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
First, I wish video creators would consider the viewer and arrange the audio levels properly. I don't want to be turning up to hear their opinions and then wake the whole house with crappy music that's suddenly ten times louder

Secondly, I boycott ASDA in the UK, because it's owned by Wal-Mart. I have never stepped foot in there since they were bought out by them and I never will.

Good on these students. Unfortunately, the wider public are retards who don't know what "moral opinion" means. They can't think beyond their desire to own more.

It's a shame, but it's true.

We NEED a complete economic collapse to destroy the corporate world and force people into austerity. It's not something they will choose on their own and therefore it is the only way to stop the corporate giants from taking over and destroying society completely.

People have selective morals. They will not prioritize a moral opinion over owning something they want. People need to be forced into prioritizing what they NEED, that is the only way to sink these corporations.

Thankfully, I think it is inevitable. I just wish more people were prepared and had a clue.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I am boycotting christmas buying at all stores - I will go to Wal-mart or K-mart for food. Wal-mart has a question of ethics but I am sure there are other large corporations that are the same that just haven't made the headlines yet. As for economic buying its the way to go.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

That's exactly what makes it so crazy. We all know Wal-Mart wont let anything step in the way of its corporate agenda, which is what makes me wonder how much worse they treat their staff already than how even union workers get treated. I'm not about to believe that if the unions came to Wal-Mart offering to cut staff benefits and increase profit margins, Wal-Mart would have accepted them with open arms. However, unionizing would not benefit Wal-Mart because they are already screwing over their staff an an optimum level for corporate profit. And I'm sure that Wal-Mart has a lot more workers than any union.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join