It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your near future - paying $11.00 for a Hershey Bar??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Not sure if this is current events or some kind of money/chocolate conspiracy.

I was watching TV the other day and the talking heads were speculating on the future price of chocolate. They said that there was going to be a severe chocolate shortage and that they could envision chocolate bars that now sell for $1.50, selling instead for $11.00. Prices would rise about 40% each year for next decade or two. This will be due to the expected continual diseased cocoa plants, cocoa farms going under, high demand, low volume, speculators, hedge fund manipulations, overpopulaton creeping into cocoa farm lands, and the associated problems with sugar production – bad crops and high cost of the production, etc.

Imagine Thanksgiving and Christmas without chocolate desserts. Halloween without free chocolate candy for the kiddies (lots of lollypops and twizzlers to take the place of Chocolate, I’m sure). Envision small Valentines heart boxes with chocolates costing $100. And no more chocolate Easter eggs for the kids in the Easter Baskets.

A world without plentiful chocolate. A world like it used to be .. where only the rich or the royalty were able to get chocolate.

I’m a chocoholic who can no longer have chocolate. (Sjogrens) My new diet restrictions have been exceptionally difficult for me psychologically and physically. I have no choice in the matter. However, ya’ll may have a choice. If it’s available, do you pay the extremely high prices to satisfy the chocolate desire, or do you give it up?

Would you pay $11.00 for a Chocolate Bar?

Every kind of $1.50 chocolate bar will be a thing of the past," London chocolatier Marc Demarquette told the Independent, predicting that an $11 bar, or its future equivalent, will be the norm. Some say that two decades from now, chocolate will be as elite as lobster and champagne. "In 20 years chocolate will be like caviar. It will become so rare and so expensive that the average Joe just won't be able to afford it," John Mason, executive director and founder of the Ghana-based Nature Conservation Research Council, told the Independent.

Huffington Post – Armajara Cocoa Investments Driving up Cocoa Prices

Armajaro's bold bet on higher prices comes as cocoa prices have risen 150 per cent over the past two-and-a-half years, prompting recession-hit chocolate makers to reduce the size of their bars and increase prices

UK Telegraph – Rising Price of Cocoa as Disease Blights Crops

This single African country accounts for almost 40pc of the 3.5m tonnes of cocoa that end up as plastic-packaged chocolate bars and luxury boxes of truffles across the globe.
Now its spreading plant disease, heavy rains and failing infrastructure means the nation is churning out 20,000 tonnes less than it was the year before, pushing prices to a near 33-year high in London

AOL News – Cocoa Hedge Fund Grab-up Could Hike Prices and Lower Quality

Last week Anthony Ward, manager of the hedge fund Armajaro Holdings, made a big bet on the rising price of chocolate by picking up about $1 billion worth of cocoa beans. And in a departure from business as usual, where traders simply trade the rights to buy or sell commodities at a certain price in the future, Ward had all 240,000 tons physically delivered to Armajaro.

NBC News – Sugar Prices and Fungus Outbreak Blamed for Rising Chocolate Prices

KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The cocoa crop along the Ivory Coast, where cocoa is collected from trees in the rainforest, was hit with a fungus this year, and that is decreasing yields. The Ivory Coast is the world’s top-growing cocoa producer. One manager says poor farming practices are behind the fungus, but farmers disagree. Some chocolatiers blame sugar prices for the jump.

The Independent – UK
Confectionary News

The ICCO Secretariat envisages a supply deficit of cocoa beans of 69,000t for the current 2009/10 cocoa year running between October 2009 to September 2010. That compares with a forecast deficit of 18,000t predicted last March.
Plus cocoa bean stocks are forecast to fall to 1.619m tonnes by 30 September 2010. That represents almost 45 per cent of the demand for cocoa beans or more than five months of stocks.

Business Times Online – Cadbury Warns of Rising Costs
Producers Expose Chocolate Speculation

edit on 11/25/2010 by FlyersFan because: fixed links

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Time to stock up on chocolate.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

First, let me offer my sympathy to you for the loss of chocolate in your life.

I really like chocolate, but dont eat very much of it. I like little bites here and there.
My pantry always has chocolate in it. Just to be sure, that when the craving strikes, its
got to have a solution. Nothing else will cut it when you need chocolate.

I can only hope that the recent diversity of chocolate origins might help this rather gloomy outlook.
The choices available when purchasing chocolate have grown in the last 3 years, at least on the shelves I visit.

I have become fond of Green & Black Organic Chocolate.
They offer quite an array of choices, all available in a nice sized bar, for around 2.00 on sale.

Would I pay 11 for that same bar? I dont know, not if I really needed food otherwise.
And especially if I had dependents....

I hope this forcast does not come to fruition...
What could we do, try to grow cocoa ourselves?

As I understand it the plant is climate sensitive....

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Chocolate will be for the rich.
Just like the good tomatoes and everything else. Don't worry they will invent some chemical that can be produced cheaply to take the place of the real chocolate. You will never know the difference...after a while you will forget what chocolate really tastes like. A hershey bar now has so little actual chocolate it tastes like a waxy poor substitute. Real chocolate will be reserved for the rich (like everything else is) since it will be commanding such high prices the rich will be the only ones who will be able to afford it at the specialty stores and elegant places without litter where the wealty people shop.

We will still get our vein clogging, hydrolyzed fat, phyto-nutrient void, Chocolate "Flavored" Chocolate Bars.

This way they can kill us faster and not have to hear our complaints.

Mass producers save the natural, non-genetically modified "non-radiated" cream of the crops for the wealthy who can shop at exclusive "health food stores" and leave us in the supermarkets across the nation with the genetically modified versions you can bounce of a wall and all taste like cardboard.
And even the prices on that garbage is going up.

Right now, berries, fruits vegetables are ALL going the way of the tomato and the peach.

When was the last time you had a sweet juicy peach? About 10 years ago I read a story on genetic manipulation and what it had done to the peach crop. Unless you live in Georgia you will never get a peach that tastes like the peaches we had when I was a kid.

They used to be my favorite fruit. Plums too. Now they are hard rubber skinned, mealy, bland and tasteless. However if you can afford to pay 3 times the price and shop at a specialty store you will get a different batch of fruit altogether.
This is un-Americana if you ask me. But this is what we do. I can't believe people forget so fast what real fruit tastes like they accept these pitiful freakish, modified vegetables.

Sometimes I would like to break into the world seed vault and spread that stuff around.
Heirloom my as s.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We can always hope that:

1. The disease affecting the crops will be eradicated or diminish in its potency.
2. That other coco producing countries start producing more coco.

Maybe now is a good time to invest in chocolate? I always joked about stockpiling chocolate for the inevitable wars and rations.

Or is chocolate cocoa? Language troubles...
edit on 25-11-2010 by monkey_descendant because: spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

Not a bad idea if the crisis will be short.
Thing is chocolate has a releatively short shelf life.
About 1 year is max...even before that it develops "bloom" which does not make it bad, but changes it.

Dont know about cheap cheap chocolate, like Hersheys. Maybe that has preservatives?
I guess the best bet for storing chocolate would be cocoa powder...leave it unopened and keep it cool.
They say that cocoa powder, unopened will keep "indefinately"
www.recipetips.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Not a bad idea if the crisis will be short.
Thing is chocolate has a releatively short shelf life.
About 1 year is max...even before that it develops "bloom" which does not make it bad, but changes it.

Dont know about cheap cheap chocolate, like Hersheys. Maybe that has preservatives?
I guess the best bet for storing chocolate would be cocoa powder...leave it unopened and keep it cool.
They say that cocoa powder, unopened will keep "indefinately"
www.recipetips.com...

Yeah, I was thinking about how useful powdered chocolate is. You can do anything with it! Maybe we should go buy a few tins

edit on 25-11-2010 by monkey_descendant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

good, look at that you are a worshipper of manifest destiny and zionazis and in the return the zionazi globalists plunder you .

It feels good , that those who you worship are plundering you . you deserve it americans

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I am seriously thinking about adding some to my stores.
You know, its available at reasonable prices now on sale for the holidays...even the good gourmet stuff.
Like Green and Black, and Lake Champlain from Vermont.

If you cant have an actual chocolate bar...a fudgey brownie works very well.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
What discourages me most about this well presented information is the continuous and gentle erosion of not only the worlds resources, but, the increase in value for those products the ‘common man/woman’ needs in their life.

It’s becoming so in your face it doesn’t take chocolate pie to the kisser to see ‘what’s going on’.

‘They’ will make sure just one more of life's necessities (as some people see it) is taxed and valued beyond reason in order to keep the people ‘sheep’ in the system of repression.

And I don’t even like chocolate. But I can see the pudding for the cream.

Great thread F.F - S&F.

peace

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kombatt98

good, look at that you are a worshipper of manifest destiny and zionazis and in the return the zionazi globalists plunder you .

It feels good , that those who you worship are plundering you . you deserve it americans

I'm not an American, nore do I live in America. This will still cause the price of chocolate to rise in my country, and every other country. So fine this is just chocolate. Imagine it were a staple? Yeah? This is happening and has happened with staples too in all countries. So brilliant, the "Americans" deserve this do they? What about everyone else? And you can't pin crops failing due to disease or bad weather or the failed attempt of biofuels and as a result the rise in prices on zionazis

This year so far I know of Russia and Pakistand losing tons of crops and Russia banning the export of wheat due to forest fires and floods because of the weather and climate! Guess what that equals a rise in prices. I guess it's easier to blame an invisible entity like the "zionazis" than think about the actual chain of events and their cause an effect. I'd call that lazyness, or lazy intellectualism?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

like the mass speculation in food by zio banks like Goldman Sachs , Yes ,I support it , at least it will cull those useless eaters in the west , who willingly put their head in the sand and allow themselves to be raped by satanic/zio/globalist/bankers etc. whatever

like Kissinger(zionist) said ,its necessary to cull the population in USA , yes , I support it

I hope Kissinger succeeds , because then there will be lesser zio worshippers and fewer zio automatons who mass murder the poor arab peasants .

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

like the mass speculation in food by zio banks like Goldman Sachs , Yes ,I support it , at least it will cull those useless eaters in the west , who willingly put their head in the sand and allow themselves to be raped by satanic/zio/globalist/bankers etc. whatever

like Kissinger(zionist) said ,its necessary to cull the population in USA , yes , I support it

I hope Kissinger succeeds , because then there will be lesser zio worshippers and fewer zio automatons who mass murder the poor arab peasants .

So it's not at all possible for the price of crops to be reflected in the climate then? Hm? Crops failing doesn't raise the price of crops at all then? And what about the American as well as European governments destroying surplus to maintain the crops of prices and subsidies? That's all down to the zionazis too then yes? Balls.

Also, can you prove that every single speculator or person working for Goldman sachs is a zionist? I'd find it interesting if you could do that for me.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'm actually suprised at how pretty much every thread I open someone mentions the zionists or the "jews" as if they are to blame for every single thing in the world. Replace zionist with illuminati, bilderberg, etc. It's lazy to just have a pet group/society and not think about the cause and effect of events and to just blame the event on whatever the pet group is.

I find the OP refreshing, I really do. It mentions a cause and effect, rather than blaming the upcoming rise on chocolate on _______ (fill in the blank).

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
My respond would be, "Good!" America have biggest problem with obesity and I was one of them. I stop eating anything that contain refined sugar or addition food from sugar. I lost 80 pound without exercise. Bottom line, no chocolate will be great news for America as we will not have problem with obesity.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkey_descendant

So it's not at all possible for the price of crops to be reflected in the climate then? Hm? Crops failing doesn't raise the price of crops at all then? And what about the American as well as European governments destroying surplus to maintain the crops of prices and subsidies? That's all down to the zionazis too then yes? Balls.

like3 that GM nonsense , you sell .

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkey_descendant

like3 that GM nonsense , you sell .

What do you mean like GM nonsense I sell? Who, me personally? I don't sell GM or eat it, I'm against it. Can you prove which companies use GM, show a list of all of them? We can then examine who the scientists are that are working on GM foods too. It's too easy to just say the zionists are doing it, can't you see that? It's lazy in the brain.

And what are you implying by "you"? That's quite offensive, you're just trying to invalidate what I say by implying I'm to blame somehow? Brilliant.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Yes...its called an agenda. And when there is an agenda to be put forth, everything...even chocolate is
a target.

In the words of Peanuts...Good Grief!
edit on 25-11-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aslpride
My respond would be, "Good!" America have biggest problem with obesity and I was one of them. I stop eating anything that contain refined sugar or addition food from sugar. I lost 80 pound without exercise. Bottom line, no chocolate will be great news for America as we will not have problem with obesity.

Chocolate is a health food, a superfood! It's good for your heart and mental health, and it doesn't have to be unhealthy if used correctly. It doesn't have to be full of sugar. For example, chicken mole! At least the one I make contains chocolate, other healthy ingredients like vegetables and no sugar

Chocolate is amazing! Ok, so it's bad for you too, but so is anything else if eaten irresponsibly, like getting water intoxication

From Wikipedia:
"Health effects of chocolate include both positive and negative effects. While chocolate is regularly eaten for pleasure, there are potential beneficial health effects of eating chocolate. Cocoa or dark chocolate benefits the circulatory system.[50] Other beneficial effects suggested include anticancer, brain stimulator, cough preventor and antidiarrhoeal effects.[51] An aphrodisiac effect is yet unproven.

On the other hand, the unconstrained consumption of large quantities of any energy-rich food such as chocolate is thought to increase the risk of obesity without a corresponding increase in activity. Raw chocolate is high in cocoa butter, a fat which is removed during chocolate refining, then added back in in varying proportions during the manufacturing process. Manufacturers may add other fats, sugars, and milk as well, all of which increase the caloric content of chocolate."

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I don't understand, are you agreeing with me or not?

I just think it's too easy to blame everything on one group, whatever that group is.

Anyway, sorry for derailing things OP.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join