It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do evolutionists/atheists give thanks to today?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Solasis

Guess what?I don't give a rats tush what you think!
I admit that I don't personally know any atheists.If
you have a problem with that,talk to my paw!

So... You totally denigrate a part of my personal identity via stereotypes without any personal knowledge of my people... And then don't care what I think.

You're just a marvelous person, aren't you.

And then I find out that you only read THE FIRST LINE OF MY POST and felt the need to completely dismiss me. Good grief. Way to. Way to be, there, "mama." Way to not judge an entire religion by the thoughts of one individual. Oh wait, you really didn't do that... You pre-judged us without ever encountering the thoughts of one individual.

Originally posted by trailertrash
You really should get a life dude. Evolutionists believe in God too with the difference that they do not literally believe Genesis. God created and then began the process of evolution so that everything that He created would be able to change and adapt with the world as time went on. The two steps put together is called "Intelligent Design"

Why is that so friggin difficult for you christians to understand, or are you all determined to be negative troublemakers?
The trouble is preachers who are scared #less that their precious bible might not be 100% true.... oh no. not that.... so they make up lies about people who have different opinions just like salesmen and politicians.

Darwin never said anything about the origins of life. He only wrote about how species change with environment over time.

Darwin was a bleeding Christian you guys....

Most scientists are Christians

There are very few atheists in the world. Evolution and atheism only go together in the uninformed minds of ignorant christians.

Sheesh.... When will you people stop being so argumentative?

I would beg do differ. Many Evolutionists do believe in God -- but to say all do is absurd. Yes, indeed, Darwin was a Christian for much of his life, though his theories and other experiences led him a lot closer to agnosticism, and many scientists are Christians; but there actually are a great number of atheists in the world. Being one of them, I should know. We don't compare to the religious in numbers, but we're notable. And while Evolution does not indicate atheism, atheism sort of necessitates a belief in evolution to explain our origins. It doesn't actually necessitate it, but it practically does. You're putting people into a bucket just as much as the OP, it's just a different bucket.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
I'd love to hear the different ideas of Who evolutionists thank today?

Is it themselves?

Darwin?

Or are they closest worshippers?

A God?

A Creator?

Or do they deny today even happens?

It's attitudes like the above OP that make the creators of it come across so ignorant,
dumb and condescending towards people who don't share their whacky beliefs.
The fact that you mention Darwin is a clear indication that you're a religious extremist.
[sarcams]I'm sure Jesus would have made the same OP if he were alive today...[/sarcasm]

FYI Giving thanks has nothing to do with a diety...
Threads like these are such a waste of bandwidth.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

talking of " bringing up ancient history " why do religions insist we follow the codes of bronze age agrarian societies ?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa[/]

Btw, there are many Americans who don't give anyone thanks on Thanksgiving.
- such as Native Americans.

Psst.. Im Piegan Blackfeet.. a rez kid even. We celebrate Thanksgiving. Christmas and easter too!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by TKDRL

talking of " bringing up ancient history " why do religions insist we follow the codes of bronze age agrarian societies ?

No idea, to me they are just as irrelevant as bashing americans today for stuff that happened a long time ago, or white people today for slavery, or people from spain today for massacring the mexican natives etc. Unless there are some vampires or something running around, no one alive now, was alive then.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

sigh - you are missing the point - or maybee i wasnt clear

americans celebrate thanks giving - yes they dont celebtate the " trail of tears " or other pivotal events

cherry picking ?

and as " its all ancient history " - why continue to celebrate thanksgiving ?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Why would anyone celebrate the trail of tears? I wouldn't celebrate that or any other holiday that would be celebrating a bad event of the past... Why celebrate thanksgiving? Why not? It has been a family tradition, to get together with family for a nice dinner and catch up. Nothing wrong with that. Same with the first saturday after christmas, nice family dinner with those that can make it, and catch up.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Because I want to learn about a group of peoples beliefs regarding something makes me ignorant, dumb and condescending?

Thank God I received many good responses that really opened my eyes to their beliefs.

Whereas your response was exactly the response I thought I'd get.

So the other members who actually shared their beliefs helped educate someone, while your attack response did not.

Guess you wasted the bandwidth, and not me.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mrvdreamknight

To be fair, your OP was phrased more jeeringly than questingly; my response was actually a lot angrier than seems to have been proper. In your later replies it's absolutely unquestionable that you are and had been genuinely trying to find it out -- and I have to say, I'm flattered that my response made you think
But your original post really felt... mean-spirited.

I'm glad to see that you didn't mean it that way

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by trailertrash

Charles Darwin was not a Christian and you know that.
The Lady Hope Story

The "Lady Hope Story", first published in 1915, claimed that Darwin had reverted back to Christianity on his sickbed. The claims were rejected by Darwin's children and have been dismissed as false by historians.

Source
Sounds like you're trolling. There are many people who are not religious in the world.

The story is an old one. It is false. That is what I know. But, you've said nothing about the rest of my post. To repeat, if we omit the days of the creation there is naught in the bible upon which to base any argument and..... "days" is translated from the Old Hebrew which simply means "periods of time".

Sheesh.....

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I would beg do differ. Many Evolutionists do believe in God -- but to say all do is absurd. Yes, indeed, Darwin was a Christian for much of his life, though his theories and other experiences led him a lot closer to agnosticism, and many scientists are Christians; but there actually are a great number of atheists in the world. Being one of them, I should know. We don't compare to the religious in numbers, but we're notable. And while Evolution does not indicate atheism, atheism sort of necessitates a belief in evolution to explain our origins. It doesn't actually necessitate it, but it practically does. You're putting people into a bucket just as much as the OP, it's just a different bucket.

Sooner or later we settle into a bracket or bucket even if we have to define a wholly new one just for ourselves.
edit on 26-11-2010 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

OOPS I did not say that all evolutionists believe in God, you misquoted me This sort of misquoting is at the source of all the arguments between evolution and creation. I happen to believe that both dovetail nicely and seem most likely. .

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I accept that honor and stand by my original post!
If you don't like what I post,then moooove along to
the next one.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Actually, I did not misquote you. You did say "Evolutionists believe in God." No qualifications on there.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mrvdreamknight

How about the scientists and discoveries that created the technology to allow all that good food to come together on your plate. How about your parents for creating you and your siblings and loved ones for loving you? As an atheist I'm thankful for the same things you probably are only I don't give credit to an invisible magical being for stuff he had nothing to do with.

Think about it:

The turkey came from its parents
Vegetables came from seeds
The cranberry sauce came from cranberries and was canned in a factory by workers (maybe you can thank them, or the cranberry growers, etc)

Everything has an actual source (including you, your family, your job, your car, your emotions, etc) and chances are there are people who helped out along the way and are related to whatever you're thankful for. Same goes for the food at some point a human being has had a hand in preparing that food. So how about being thankful to the people that make what your thankful for possible?

edit on 26-11-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: fixed wording

edit on 26-11-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: fixed a grammatical error and for the record I don't appreciate having to fill out this box every single time

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Thanks for your answer.

I really never cared for your answers much in the past.

But I'm going to go back and re-read them from my new found perspecitve of where you are coming from.

I'm trying to grow while I'm here and help others do the same.

So thanks for helping me out.

I just got done doing some online research on: Spinozan pantheist - and I've got a lot more studying to do.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Looking back on it, you're right, my original post was worded poorly. Sorry about that.

I wrote it right after I posted a similar thought on a different thread. I was defending myself at the moment so I probably wasn't in the right frame of mind when I wrote it.

I'm just here trying to see where other people are coming from and help them see my point of view too.

Sharing is good.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Thanks for your perspective.

I agree with everything you said, except, obviously the invisible ghost comment.

Obviously I just take thanking my parents, etc. one step back and thank whoever, or whatever gave them life. I happen to call the Creator God/Jesus. But others give Him/Her/It other names. And some choose not to believe in a super natural being at all. To each his/her own. Just as long as we are all making an educated decision. And that we all understand the decisions ramifications - if any.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Crimelab

Interesting...but who did John Connors grandparents give birth too? Their grandson?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
I'd love to hear the different ideas of Who evolutionists thank today?

Is it themselves?

Darwin?

Or are they closest worshippers?

A God?

A Creator?

Or do they deny today even happens?

I was just sitting here myself last night wondering much the same thing. The only difference is that I was at the other end of the spectrum. I was wondering how Christians use a holiday of thanks and family as a poor excuse to attack people that do not believe in their god.

Thanks for the answer.

Myself, I give thanks to all. Nothing I have I have gained on my own but it is hard to track down the DOT guys that paved the roads I use, or the men that farmed the food I ate. So in general, I give thanks to the world full of people that can step away from "my religion is good, you are stupid" type rhetoric and instead work together to in at least some way better all of mankind if even only for a moment.

There are plenty of real people and real things that happen that benefit us. No need to skip them and thank some imaginary friend. God never passed me the yams; Not once.
edit on 26-11-2010 by KissandraEliant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I'm thankful for my friends and family. As for the assumption that I should be thankful to a higher power, I'm not.

Let's look at the 'higher power' scenario. he (that's for the 'W') supposedly created me. And as his creation, I'm supposed to worship only him. If I don't, I'll burn in hell for eternity (for those of you that don't get eternity, that means, after I burn in hell for a billion years, god says, 'Ok turn him over, lets get the other side').

And why have I been buring in hell for a billion years....god created me

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join