It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do evolutionists/atheists give thanks to today?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by mrvdreamknight

I don't believe in any type or form of a creator. If there is a creator what created the creator? Have you ever heard of the Terminator franchise? There is (multiple) timeline which is very confusing to understand. Kyle Reese is the father of John Conner and some how there is a beginning there. Yet I can't wrap my mind how it supposed to start. It has many open contradictions to the timeline.

In my view, I guess a supernatural being doesn't need to be created. But eh, who knows, hunh?

The terminator movies are awesome. And if anyone here can explain those contradictions I'd love to know cuz they drive me nuts too.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

What can I say? I enjoy the "GIF" avatars. They're funny and enjoyable to look at. I know the avatars are childish. Still what else am I going to use? Nascar?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
I'd love to hear the different ideas of Who evolutionists thank today?
Is it themselves?
Darwin?
Or are they closest worshippers?
A God?
A Creator?
Or do they deny today even happens?

Who do gravitationalists thank today?
Do people who accept the theory of gravity stop believing in god just because they realise there is a scientific explanation for things falling down instead of up?

The fact that science is throwing a light on the mystery of the development of life has nothing to do with the existance or non-existance of god(s).

As a theist who knows that science is answering the questions regarding evolution, I thank God for many things, including science.

For example, when I'm reminded that it's thanksgiving in America, I thank God the Puritans settled over there and kept out of Australia. And I thank the convicts and prostitutes I'm descended from for being tough, hard-working survivers, who carved farms out of the harsh Australian outback and raised their families to cope with this new environment.

Btw, there are many Americans who don't give anyone thanks on Thanksgiving.
- such as Native Americans.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

Most scientists are Christians"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f75284c44e5.jpg[/atsimg]

The question of religious belief among US scientists has been debated since early in the century. Our latest survey finds that, among the top natural scientists, disbelief is greater than ever—almost total.

Disbelief in God and immortality among NAS biological scientists was 65.2% and 69.0%, respectively, and among NAS physical scientists it was 79.0% and 76.3%. Most of the rest were agnostics on both issues, with few believers. The highest percentage of belief was found among NAS mathematicians (14.3% in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality).

LINK

This is a good example of what I mean when people make random statements based on belief rather than facts! Last I checked "most scientists" would require more than 50%...and they don't even come close to that figure.

Facts > Fiction!!

Also, of those who said they believe in god, not all are Christian. Some believe in Allah or some other deity. The arrogance to assume most scientists are Christian is quite stunning! There's a whole world outside the US, and not all of them are Christian...but many are VERY bright.
edit on 25-11-2010 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
As stupid as I think this thread is, as it's just an inflammatory thread that makes the ridiculous equivocation of understanding a scientific theory to be an atheist (something I've already explained to you a few time), I'm going to take my 8,000 post and tell you what I give thank to: People.

I thank my parents for doing their best with me, I know I wasn't the easiest child to raise.
I thank my girlfriend, she's the most wonderful person I've ever met and has been the greatest companion I could have asked for in life.
I thank my friends, they've been there for me through some really # times.
I thank everyone who bestowed knowledge upon me and who ignited the yearning for knowledge I have to this very day.
I thank every single person who has tried to knock me down, because all they've done is force me to be a stronger man, so I'll take a brief aside to say this: Thank you, mrvdreamknight. You've forced me to redouble my efforts at educating myself on many matters and have shown me that I must stand strong in the face of ignorance and admitted belligerence.
And lastly, I thank everyone for managing to get us through another year without killing our whole species off.

You don't need some sort of all-powerful being to thank on a day like today, all you need is some people in your life that have shown you kindness. All you need is those around you. Even if you do believe in an all-powerful thingy, there's got to be more to life than that.

This question either speaks volumes about your own life or your opinions of those who simply disbelieve in one less deity than you do.

Thanks madnessinmysoul.

I appreciate your opinion: very much - even though we don't agree about much...at all...ever...

It's been a heck a lot of fun discussing things with you and mrxyz.

We're just getting started. I'm just getting warmed up. I haven't debated since college, so you'll have to forgive me for not being up to par yet. But just for you, I'm gonna keep improving everyday. So I'm sure we're gonna have a ton more insightful discussions soon.

And what do you know, you made me laugh out loud with the to "thank everyone for managing to get us through another year without killing our whole species off" line. I guess because it was so true.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

oopsie...you quoted me quoting him...so I think you missed what I wrote. I was actually defending you. I told him that darwin wasn't a Christian AND that most scientists are not Christian.

See? Here - I repasted it for you.

This is the other fella talking that I'm quoting -

"Darwin never said anything about the origins of life. He only wrote about how species change with environment over time.

Darwin was a bleeding Christian you guys....

Most scientists are Christians"

This is me responding to him, taking your side for once:

"ummm... I'm a Christian and I know Darwin was not one...not even at the end of his life.

And I'm not sure but even I don't think most scientists are Christian."

See? I agree that most scientists are in fact not Christian.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Agreed.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Hehehe, 3am misquote, sry. Obviously my statement still stands (against trailertrash) and for once I agree with you.

Also, trailertrash...trailertrash? Really?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Oh no no no, I have nothing against it at all, just saying lol it always makes me laugh when I read your posts.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

To put it bluntly lady I only read the first line of his post.
I am usually pretty good at guessing when I am about
to waste my time reading a post.
The last time that I checked,I am human,I am mortal and
I do make mistakes.What would be more pitiful is judging
an entire race,creed or RELIGION for the actions of one individual!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

I try my best to find the greatest. I'm interested in a skull and bones avatar. That group sounds awesome and weird.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'm a lapsed Catholic, but every year I still like to say thanks to Yahweh for his cool designs!

There's a kid who lives on my block that had an awful lot to thank God for this year, seeing as he was able to stop vomiting long enough from his chemotherapy to get down a little turkey and pumpkin pie!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Actually, I just decided I'm also thankful for evolution

Many turkeys have been described from fossils. The Meleagrididae are known from the Early Miocene (c. 23 mya) onwards, with the extinct genera Rhegminornis (Early Miocene of Bell, U.S.) and Proagriocharis (Kimball Late Miocene/Early Pliocene of Lime Creek, U.S.). The former is probably a basal turkey, the other a more contemporary bird not very similar to known turkeys; both were much smaller birds. A turkey fossil not assignable to genus but similar to Meleagris is known from the Late Miocene of Westmoreland County, Virginia.[8] In the modern genus Meleagris, a considerable number of species have been described, as turkey fossils are robust, fairly often found, and turkeys show much variation among individuals. Many of these supposed fossilized species are now considered junior synonyms. One, the well-documented California Turkey Meleagris californica,[9] became extinct recently enough to have been hunted by early human settlers[10] and it is believed its demise was due to the combined pressures of climate change at the end of the last glacial period and hunting.[11] The modern species and the California Turkey seem to have diverged approximately one million years ago.

LINK

So thankful for evolution making sure this beautiful and tasty bird evolved

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

I don't believe in any type or form of a creator. If there is a creator what created the creator? Have you ever heard of the Terminator franchise? There is (multiple) timeline which is very confusing to understand. Kyle Reese is the father of John Conner and some how there is a beginning there. Yet I can't wrap my mind how it supposed to start. It has many open contradictions to the timeline.

In my view, I guess a supernatural being doesn't need to be created. But eh, who knows, hunh?

The terminator movies are awesome. And if anyone here can explain those contradictions I'd love to know cuz they drive me nuts too.

They aren't contradictions. The Terminator series has a logically consistent timeline. What you need to wrap your head around is Kyle Reese has ALWAYS been John Connor's father. There was never a timeline where he wasn't.

They aren't changing anything when they go back in time. They always went back in time, and always will. The thing is, since John Connor was alive in the future, Skynet should have realized that trying to change the past would be futile. It already happened, and he's there alive.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I give thanks to the kindness of mankind... You... me... eachother. We are not perfect, but we're pretty awesome. Bleed the same, breath the same.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I'd love to hear the different ideas of Who evolutionists thank today?

Is an 'evolutionist' the same as an atheist? What about the hundreds of millions of Christians who accept the truth of evolution? Are only members of degenerate charismatic and Bibliolatrous cults to be considered Christians?

If your question is 'who do atheists thank', well, we generally thank people who have done us a good turn of some kind. And we don't wait for a special day of the year to do it; we do it on the spot.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Answer

The people that made my dinner possible.
Usually it's farmers, ranchers, truck drivers, sales clerks.

Today, I added Waitresses, chefs, and busboys. Because we ate out.
The busboy looked very surprised when I said to him, "thanks for helping to make this delicious dinner possible for us today" (or maybe he just didn't speak English).

Good enough?

Frankly, I've always considered Thanksgiving a non-denominational Holiday. Something for everyone.
Is it something else?
edit on 26-11-2010 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Does it ever pass your mind about any outside creator or no? I sometimes wonder if there even is one, I was just wondering if you guys sometimes wonder the opposite?

I will honour your truthfulness by answering this question, as well as a more specific one you asked in another thread. Yes, I do wonder sometimes--indeed, fairly often--if there is a God or not. But I know that it does not matter, so the question does not trouble me.

From your perspective, I am an atheist and proud of it. I disbelieve in the God of the Torah, the Bible and the Qu'ran (they are all the same God, of course). Neither do I believe in Siva, Zeus, Ahura Mazda or any of the countless deities of human imagining that infest the world's mythologies.

There are other ways of thinking about God. There is awesome immanence in the material universe itself: its vastness, its variety, its coherence and lawfulness, its paradoxical chaos and randomness, its endurance, its eternal mutability, its power to bring forth life and destroy it... these are just a few of its attributes that inspire me to love and worship. I could go on and on. Compared to all of this, I am nothing, less than a mote; yet I am part of it, and all of it too, in a way. I am the eyes of the universe, and it is myself I see.

Here is wonder, power, glory, mystery, paradox and--yes--holiness far greater than any petty human-sized God could ever manifest.

Is the world God? I'm not sure what that means. The Vedic masters thought it was. So did Spinoza and Liebniz.

Or was it created by an external, eternal God? Who knows? And why should it matter? A Being that could create all of this would be so far beyond comprehension that our worship and conduct would be meaningless to it. And it is unnecessary, anyway. The universe could easily have come into being from nothing, all of its own accord. In fact, there is a sense--no, many senses--in which it is still emerging out of nothing, and disappearing back into nothing.

If the universe was made by a God, that God cares nothing for humanity, nor indeed for any particular element of Its creation. It casts entire galaxies into fire and darkness as unheedingly as it brought them into being in the first place. It sterilizes worlds with gamma-ray bursts, causes mass extinctions on entire planets, tolerates the most hideous cruelties. It heeds no petitions, answers no prayers; and its laws are graven in adamant, not stone. We, and all the rest of Everything, have no choice but to obey.

If we worship such a being, we do so for our own satisfaction, not because our worship makes a blind bit of meterial difference to us, or to It.

God does not matter. The universe can be considered purely in physical terms, or as the creation of some divine entity, or as being itself divine. How we look at it is unimportant; it is all there is for us, and that is all that matters. God, if one exists, is irrelevant to us, and we are irrelevant to God.

The puny, malevolent, time-bound figment of the Bible could no more have created this universe than he could have made the Sun stand still before Jericho. The tragedy of some people's lives is that they equate this travesty with the reality of what God must be, if it exists.

I suppose you could call me a Spinozan pantheist, if that will make you happy.

edit on 26/11/10 by Astyanax because: of it.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

spot on - and expanding on that what did the " thankful americans " do next ?

oh yeah repay the indians by stealing thier lands and slaughtering them , such gratitude

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

What is the point of bringing up ancient history? Some people love to do that, as if it has any relevance to today. It really doesn't. If you look back into any culture group's history, I am sure you will find some attrocity there somewhere. So what? It means nothing today.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join