It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do evolutionists/atheists give thanks to today?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Glad somebody said it. Thought I missed something in my 39 years. I never realized that Thanksgiving was about God. Freakin' Bible thumpers think every holiday revolves around their God. What a ridiculous post.

Whilst I agree that the OP is based on this false premise I can't say that I have observed any increased 'religiosity' to thanksgiving over the years. Of course some families choose, as is their right, to say grace and thank their respective deity but they probably do that before every meal.

But from an American cultural perspective there's nothing going on to indicate such trend. There's a lot of 'support the troops' stuff as always, football, family, dry turkey, etc, but other than this thread I haven't seen a single religious reference today to be honest. So using it as a premise to argue that agains the 'bible thumpers' seems flawed. That's not to say that what you're saying isn't happening, but one thread on the subject does not a trend make.

Straw-man argument on thanksgiving? How folksy!

edit on 25 Nov 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Guess what?I don't give a rats tush what you think!
I admit that I don't personally know any atheists.If
you have a problem with that,talk to my paw!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
As stupid as I think this thread is, as it's just an inflammatory thread that makes the ridiculous equivocation of understanding a scientific theory to be an atheist (something I've already explained to you a few time), I'm going to take my 8,000 post and tell you what I give thank to: People.

I thank my parents for doing their best with me, I know I wasn't the easiest child to raise.
I thank my girlfriend, she's the most wonderful person I've ever met and has been the greatest companion I could have asked for in life.
I thank my friends, they've been there for me through some really # times.
I thank everyone who bestowed knowledge upon me and who ignited the yearning for knowledge I have to this very day.
I thank every single person who has tried to knock me down, because all they've done is force me to be a stronger man, so I'll take a brief aside to say this: Thank you, mrvdreamknight. You've forced me to redouble my efforts at educating myself on many matters and have shown me that I must stand strong in the face of ignorance and admitted belligerence.
And lastly, I thank everyone for managing to get us through another year without killing our whole species off.

You don't need some sort of all-powerful being to thank on a day like today, all you need is some people in your life that have shown you kindness. All you need is those around you. Even if you do believe in an all-powerful thingy, there's got to be more to life than that.

This question either speaks volumes about your own life or your opinions of those who simply disbelieve in one less deity than you do.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
We don't, we just have a big family day and eat a lot.
Of course, this is always at Grandma's house.
And Grandma has to do all the cooking.
We actually thank Grandma.
So it is really ThankGrandma Day.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight
I'd love to hear the different ideas of Who evolutionists thank today?

Is it themselves?

Darwin?

Or are they closest worshippers?

A God?

A Creator?

Or do they deny today even happens?

You really should get a life dude. Evolutionists believe in God too with the difference that they do not literally believe Genesis. God created and then began the process of evolution so that everything that He created would be able to change and adapt with the world as time went on. The two steps put together is called "Intelligent Design"

Why is that so friggin difficult for you christians to understand, or are you all determined to be negative troublemakers?
The trouble is preachers who are scared #less that their precious bible might not be 100% true.... oh no. not that.... so they make up lies about people who have different opinions just like salesmen and politicians.

Darwin never said anything about the origins of life. He only wrote about how species change with environment over time.

Darwin was a bleeding Christian you guys....

Most scientists are Christians

There are very few atheists in the world. Evolution and atheism only go together in the uninformed minds of ignorant christians.

Sheesh.... When will you people stop being so argumentative?
edit on 25-11-2010 by trailertrash because: typo

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Charles Darwin was not a Christian and you know that.
The Lady Hope Story

The "Lady Hope Story", first published in 1915, claimed that Darwin had reverted back to Christianity on his sickbed. The claims were rejected by Darwin's children and have been dismissed as false by historians.

Source
Sounds like you're trolling. There are many people who are not religious in the world.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
How about the Pilgrims and Indians coming together?

i'm tired from turkey
edit on 25-11-2010 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2010 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mrvdreamknight

i give my thanks to the earth and the sun. when outside going somewhere i notice the natural things around me and the wildlife, i try to shut out the man made things, i appreciate what is left of nature. i look to the sun and the stars and the moon, and i adore them, whenever i am out i look up to them and appreciate them, i give my thanks to them.

but i do not worship them.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

WOW! My first thread ever and I get the honor of having you, the site owner make a comment on it.

Thank you so much.

I know it sounds like I'm sucking up and I am but I really love your site. I have been coming here for years but have just recently started posting.

Keep up the great site.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Interesting perspective.

Does it ever pass your mind about any outside creator or no?

I sometimes wonder if there even is one, I was just wondering if you guys sometimes wonder the opposite?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I don't believe in any type or form of a creator. If there is a creator what created the creator? Have you ever heard of the Terminator franchise? There is (multiple) timeline which is very confusing to understand. Kyle Reese is the father of John Conner and some how there is a beginning there. Yet I can't wrap my mind how it supposed to start. It has many open contradictions to the timeline.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

"More than anyone else, maybe -- we don't have a God to comfort us, so we take joy in our friends, our loves, our families."

This line was beautiful. It really got me thinking.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Nice. Your words seem to matching some others on here. I'm taking it all in. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

hmmm...this is more of a response that I thought I'd get.

But to me 100% honest. I'm very impressed with the over all thoughtfulness and caring that almost all the other comments contained.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Solasis

Guess what?I don't give a rats tush what you think!
I admit that I don't personally know any atheists.If
you have a problem with that,talk to my paw!

And you get the prize for making the rudest post in the thread.
Way to go, speaking that way to a stranger who gives you a polite, well thought out answer.

Christians who act the way you do make me grateful my best friends are atheists.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

You are lucky then... I've got a small gathering and we're almost all Christian and last t-day we barely got along. It was one of the worse days of my life in fact.

Thank God, (or not-lol), we all got along great today.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Oh, it's 'Thanksgiving' is it?

Not part of my culture, I'm afraid.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Yep, grandma's house. Brings back tons of memories. We went there every year for 20 years. Parma, Ohio. It was so perfect.

Then college, and the real world hit.

I miss those days.

But we did pray every thanksgiving, just like we do all meals, so I really haven't noticed it get more Christian over the years. It seemed to always be that way.

Sorry for rambling.

But thanks for sharing and the post.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Romantic... lol every time I see your Avatar, I can't take your words serious LoL!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Sorry if my question pissed you off so much.

No offense meant.

Just trying to share ideas.

"Darwin never said anything about the origins of life. He only wrote about how species change with environment over time.

Darwin was a bleeding Christian you guys....

Most scientists are Christians"

ummm... I'm a Christian and I know Darwin was not one...not even at the end of his life.

And I'm not sure but even I don't think most scientists are Christian.

Don't mean to be rude. But I had to point this out. Although I'm sure you're gonna get a few more forecful thoughts about this than what I just wrote. And I won't even blame em.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join