It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do evolutionists/atheists give thanks to today?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

You're comment is rather ironic. I live my life as my own person. Still I don't let my ego get in the way of my life. I enjoy to help people out in my life. My friend's father is ill and yesterday I helped him out moving his bed. You can say I'm always a joyish person and one of my favorite influences in life is Ayn Rand and the Buddha.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Yay! I wasn't sure you'd respond but thank you so much for doing so.

I agree. We have to be so very thankful for our family and friends! Life's way too short not to live with an attitude of gratitude.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Interesting. So do you know many of them? I have known only a few over my life and we never talked about it. That's why I was looking forward to seeing their responses.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
"The worst moment for the atheist is when he's really thankful and has no one to thank." Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Let me apologize to everyone here, but this one made me laugh. And I don't want this to be anything but informative. I truly want to learn their thoughts regarding this holiday. So please keep the responses to their actual views. Or the actual views of someone you know. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by PeasantRebellion

truer words wer enever spoken!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Because they do not follow a supreme being they follow any thing that is going on as correct way to act.

The tide of popular belief is the way they bend, as soon as Thanks Giving is known as a Christian belief of Thanks then it will become unpopular with the godless.

As with Christmas which is celebrated as the birth of Christ (not going to get into the pagan part or the fact he was born in spring) is now call the season in the stores.

So may your gratitude be extended to the one who made it all possible.

So happy existence day.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada. Traditionally, it has been a time to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. While it may have been religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday. It is sometimes casually referred to as Turkey Day.

Source

See now everyone can celebrate Thanksgiving and give thanks to the great pumpkin!

This video speaks louder for words then I ever can.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mrvdreamknight

A thanks to reality I should hope, and all of the wonders of our universe and our little planet.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrvdreamknight

Originally posted by Carseller4
"The worst moment for the atheist is when he's really thankful and has no one to thank." Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Let me apologize to everyone here, but this one made me laugh. And I don't want this to be anything but informative. I truly want to learn their thoughts regarding this holiday. So please keep the responses to their actual views. Or the actual views of someone you know. Thank you.

Dante Gabriel Rossetti was a famous artist and poet......not a 3rd cousin, or anything like that.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I would quess that they don't even thank anyone anyway.
Thanksgiving is a holiday and tradition for americans.They
will eat their turkey dinner,drink,belch,sleep awhile and watch
tv.They might give thanks to their bosses for still having a job.
But,I don't see athiests thanking anyone period,they did it
all by themselves.

Um, no. That's just stupid. Atheists do not uniformly think that way. I don't even know any atheists who think that way. We aren't all in it for ourselves; we depend on other people just as much as anyone else. More than anyone else, maybe -- we don't have a God to comfort us, so we take joy in our friends, our loves, our families.

We may be thankful to our parents for bringing us up; we can be thankful to the person who cooked the turkey; thankful to the person who brought the beers, to the plants that grew the apples for that delicious pie, to each other for not killing each other over petty squabbles about which family member cut ties with which, to the doctors who fixed our grandmother's heart, even to Comcast for providing this internet hookup I'm using to post this even if they do charge more than they probably should. To David Letterman for entertaining us; to the football teams who play today; to the guy who invented bourbon and the guy who invented vodka; to the tribes who decided to settle down to brew beer and so created civilization; to the people who drafted the constitution; to the lawmakers who didn't used to be so corrupt, and the ones now who still try; to Nomura and the rest of the Kingdom Hearts team; to Robert Anton Wilson, Phillip K. Dick, JK Rowling, Roger Zelazny for writing books; To Dan Brown, for assuring us that even though we don't think we can write, we're better than him at it; To The Kinks and Roger Waters and Stars and Stephen Sondheim and Arlo Guthrie and REM; to the people who farmed the turkeys; to our ancestors and our friends; to people who challenge us to remember what we're actually thankful for.

This is not a religious holiday; it's a day to remember the people and circumstances who have done you right. For a lot of people, that's God. But he's usually added as an afterthought even for Christians.

Who are these atheists all of you people know who are so caught up in themselves that they can't thank others? Who are these atheists you know who are joyless people? We are generally happier in this world than you are -- we are not concerned for the next, because we don't think there is one. so we enjoy the now, and up until our deaths, we enjoy the future as well. And those of us who aren't dogmatic, who think "hey, I could be wrong" -- we enjoy wondering whether anything is coming next. Get your heads out of the sand; meet real people, not your caricatures.

ACTS 2:38, you don't know the first thing about atheists' ethics. Take an intro ethics course in philosophy and you'll get a taste of ways to think besides "God" and "Trends", and that's just a sample.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I'd love to hear the different ideas of Who evolutionists thank today?

I don't give thanks TO anyone. I'm just thankful.
I appreciate. I enjoy. I love. I am grateful.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Yeah, Im not sure who some of these people are that some are calling atheists.. Ive never met one as is being described here by some. Then again, Im pretty choosy about who I associate with and who I dare get into a deep philosophical convo with in real life!
Ijust dont start attacking atheists for their beliefs.. or lack of.. for sport. Most are just human beings and I havent felt the need to judge them in order to make myself feel any better or boost my spiritual ego

Saying that, I also have met a few people who call themselves christians that are pretty devoid of any character, soul or personality... not to mention the sense of personal accountability I have met those who are christian only when it suits them. Im a christian, but one thing I can say about the atheists Ive personally met or have in my family.. at least they dont have a god or being that they use to excuse their behavior, justify their prejudices, or turn the conversation toward when they are intellectually ill equipped to actually think critically about a subject.

Sorry, just keepin' it real.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'd say you should be thankful to be alive, to have the chance to be all you want to be, for family, for loved ones, for friends, for your job, for potential jobs, for your home, apartment, roommate, waking up breathing, having use of your limbs or if not, for the strength you have to get above and beyond anything which could hold you back. Be grateful to be able to learn, to grow, to share, to give, to help, to inspire.

It's not like Thanksgiving is a religious deal. It's a time to contemplate all you've gone through, where you've come from, where you're going. To be thankful for trials and obstacles because if you do it right, and get over and around those obstacles, you are able to move on. I could keep going but I'm sure you get the point.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I'd love to hear the different ideas of Who evolutionists thank today?

Er, no-one

Oh, I'm not American .....

But harvest thanksgiven predates Christianity by a few thousand years

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

Glad somebody said it. Thought I missed something in my 39 years. I never realized that Thanksgiving was about God. Freakin' Bible thumpers think every holiday revolves around their God. What a ridiculous post. What the hell does being Atheist have to do with Thanksgiving and what you are thankful for? I am thankful that turkeys taste good.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by Fiberx

Glad somebody said it. Thought I missed something in my 39 years. I never realized that Thanksgiving was about God. Freakin' Bible thumpers think every holiday revolves around their God. What a ridiculous post. What the hell does being Atheist have to do with Thanksgiving and what you are thankful for? I am thankful that turkeys taste good.

You must've missed the last century alone of propaganda turning it into a religious holiday or the fact that with any holiday most christians turn it into a celebration of theri religion in their own family settings. Hell, Id recently seen ad in a vintage goods catalog I receive of thanksgiving with the family praying at the table around the turkey and goodies. Its being blind not to see that this is absolutely viewed as a religious holiday to the majority in this country because the majority are linked to a god of some sort or religion. Many christians center everything in their daily lives around God and his worship. I feel that makes it pretty obvious why its been viewed as a holiday that is very inclusive of a god even disregarding the origins of it in THIS country. Especially if you have ever read any of the information about pre civil war celebrations of Thanksgiving. Regardless of pagan harvest rituals, maybe brush up on the American celebration since the genesis of it since we are speaking of an American holiday. Its very inclusive of god and always has been.. right or wrong.

Saying that, the op asked how atheists or evolutionists deal with it.... who they thank since the majority who pray at the dinner table are thanking God today.. and the non-religious is BOUND to have to deal with that today. Pretty relevant question and thread IMO.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

The only atheists that I "know" are here on ATS.
I did say,in my original post,that I guess.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f40a3d6d4126.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
...national Eat A Dead Bird Day is whatever you want it to be..

...i think its VERY funny that on a site dedicated to conspiracy theorists (where lots fear the government is poisoning them), so many will consume mass-produced government-approved turkey...

Originally posted by Solasis
To Dan Brown, for assuring us that even though we don't think we can write, we're better than him at it

...ahahahaaa!... funniest thing i've read today!...

Originally posted by Solasis
Arlo Guthrie and REM

...gotta add woody guthrie - "this machine kills fascists"...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by Fiberx

You must've missed the last century alone of propaganda turning it into a religious holiday or the fact that with any holiday most christians turn it into a celebration of theri religion in their own family settings. Hell, Id recently seen ad in a vintage goods catalog I receive of thanksgiving with the family praying at the table around the turkey and goodies. Its being blind not to see that this is absolutely viewed as a religious holiday to the majority in this country because the majority are linked to a god of some sort or religion. Many christians center everything in their daily lives around God and his worship. I feel that makes it pretty obvious why its been viewed as a holiday that is very inclusive of a god even disregarding the origins of it in THIS country. Especially if you have ever read any of the information about pre civil war celebrations of Thanksgiving. Regardless of pagan harvest rituals, maybe brush up on the American celebration since the genesis of it since we are speaking of an American holiday. Its very inclusive of god and always has been.. right or wrong.

Thanksgiving in Canada hasn't gone through as much of a religious makeover as the one in the US. At least not that I've noticed. Our entire family, with 30 + people showing up for dinner some years, never gave it a religious meaning. In our family, even if someone showed up who insisted on prayer before meal, someone usually spoke up with "good food, good meat, good God, let's eat".

I always just considered it a darn good feast and a time to be thankful for a big family that all got along well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join