Biltmore... America's Castle.. (At least in the South East)

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The wife and I decided to take a trip this Thanksgiving instead of our usual festivities,,

The mountains of Western North Carolina are one of our favorite destinations and I thought I would share some of our little adventure ...

Our first stop was in Asheville North Carolina at the Biltmore Estate.. Built by George Washington Vanderbilt between 1889 and 1895 it is pretty amazing..

Biltmore Estate

Here is the main house

Looking out a third floor _. All of this is part of the 8000 acres..

More magnificent architecture

Interesting object on display at the front of the Mansion

Pretty amazing

No photography was allowed inside, but the net has several sites that have some very nice pictures.. Such as HERE

While walking through the mansion, I was struck by a couple of things..

What was it like to have lived this way growing up?

I found many similarities to the old farm house I grew up in in West Virginia...

Enjoy...

(I will post more pictures as our adventure progresses)

Semper

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I've been there a couple of times.

It's interesting to think of the social structures that allowed the accumulation of that kind of wealth.

If I'm not mistaken, when G. V. built the place, there was no income tax, no IRS, no real restrictions on the amount of art, materials, etc., that could be imported without some kind of tariff or tax.

There were no unions for construction, plumbing, electricians, etc. I'm not sure there was even property tax.

My thought is that there is an active cadre of people who wish to live like that again, while disallowing that kind of life for us down here in the unwashed mass class. Vassal / serf type stuff. One set of rules and barriers for us, and none for them.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Thanks, i just moved to asheveille and havn't visited yet.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

You do know the way to the Conspiracy side of ATS?

I don't really right now care how he got the money, or why, or from whom... I am just enjoying a vacation and wanted to share with my ATS Friends..

Semper

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

One: Make sure you have some cash.. 50.00usd for the day..

Two: Have plenty of time.. Took us 2 hours and we skipped a lot...

Semper

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
That building is quite spectacular. I find the setting that it is in quite beautiful. It is mindboggling to think of all the effort that would have to go into maintaining a property of that size. Stunning. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Very nice building.
I hope you enjoy your vacation.
Thanks for sharing

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I've been there a couple of times and what always strikes me is the fact that the whole community centered around the Vanderbilts. The numbers of people supporting the running of the home. The various Mrs. Vanderbilts definitely had full time jobs coordinating the functioning of the house and caring for the various visitors.

The kitchen and all of the various storehouses were manned by many 24/7. The amount of food that was needed just to feed the "help" is astounding.
edit on 27/11/2010 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

join