It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl, 15, arrested over 'Facebook Koran burning video'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Here is the link:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Now, who can tell me if this person would have been arrested if it was a copy of the Bible that was burned?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

I would like to say yes, but I wonder.

This article certainly seems to suggest that some are more equal then others under the religious hatred laws. I guess we have to see if she is actually found guilty.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Just more political correctness bull#. The UK needs to man up and retain it's own cultural status instead of having it destroyed by foreigners. Multiculturalism is good. This is not multiculturalism though.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

You have a good point. However, I think we all know the answer to that one before the act.
This is not about Muslims, this is about the lame assed attitude of today's British mis-government.
I am proud to be British and proud to have served. I am NOT proud of what the British Government has done to its people.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
You live in a fascist state. I wouldn't spend my money in England. I mean did they burn Salman Rushdie for writing his book. No they gave him government protection.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Not at all, it's perfectly OK to insult christians. And indeed, if you do insult them as a whole, no one calls for death or the murder of those responsible. There is never any rioting, destruction of public property or violence by mobs who feel insulted.

So, yeah... there you go. As Davespanners post above shows, it's only religious intolerance or inciting hatred when it's something that islam feels strongly about, but when anyone else cops the same from islam, hey nothing to see here...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
You live in a fascist state. I wouldn't spend my money in England. I mean did they burn Salman Rushdie for writing his book. No they gave him government protection.

Eh? What?

burn someone for writing a book?

I think you either made a typo, or I'm missing something...

link   
Good find. Its really pathetic that people actually believe that burning a book of any nature would incite riots or a bloody war. If people goto war or hurt innocent people because a book is burned, then I feel that those people should be punished more so for that belief. Look, I can understand going to another country and destroying something that they hold sacred, even if it is a book. I find this retarded, but hey, it's their country, their laws.

I really thought the officials in and around England was beyond something like this. Do we in america hold exclusive rights to free speech? If something like this happens here in the US, which I'm sure it's getting to that point, then it's time to rethink our government and our elections. I would be VERY upset if something like that took place here. But the OPer is correct. Had this been the bible, I'm sure things would be diffrent. All for the sake of worrying what another country feels about you... TO HELL with them! Thats why we have DIFFRENT countries. Europe seems like it's becomming one big country in all this. What happen to soverinty? What happen to pride for ones country and it's citizens? What happen to freedom of speech in what one feels about something... anything, so long as it doesnt hurt another.

The Koran, just like any other book, is just that. A BOOK. It's the message that counts. If GOD wrote it, I mean sat down and inked every letter, every word, 1 letter even, then fine.. That would be something sacred. But this is not the case. As is the bible, even though I personaly feel that GOD indirectly wrote it, inspired it, or whatever term that applys, I dont feel people should be punished for it. GOD will deal with them in his own way. Man should not step in and offer a prison sentence because someone shows strong distaste for something.

If another people go on a killing spree in another country or against another country because one person drew a picture of someone they felt was sacred, then that country should be bombed till the dust no longer settled. People killing people over a piece of paper or a mass printed document is simply foolishness.

Air is sacred to me! No one is allowed to breathe it anymore, for if one does, they will be met with wrath like no other, because my people feel that it is so sacred that only we should be allowed to breathe it. It was given to us by GOD, exclusivly. How does this sound?

I think people need to let go of objects, icons, symbols, ect... It's an abomination to worship or hold anything sacred that is not GOD. This is true in every single religion I know. So how is the Koran or a Bible diffrent? Dont get me wrong, you wont find me burning the bible, or setting anything on top of it because I somehow feel that I should respect something that holds what I believe are the words of GOD and Jesus, but if someone came along and burned one in front of me, I'd step away, far away, looking around to see if there was a thunderstorm brewing
Funny as it sounds, it's kinda similar to what I feel inside about such a thing, yet you wont find me punching the guy for it. Hey. it's his skin... Everyone has freewill and a right to speak, no matter wether it jives with anyone else or not. We have the choice to walk away and do something more contructive with out time than taking vengiance for GODs sake. I'm quite sure he's capable of dealing with everything on his own.

Like my grandmother used to say... "Give it to GOD and go your way". And the bible says... Vengiance is mine, sayeth the Lord.... and thats exactly what im going to follow.

Thanks poster for pulling this up. Goes to show just how strong our governments are... Pins an Needles for other countries? It's a wonder how we world powers ever won a war in our past. Guess the good old days were the last days we had any respect for ourselves.

link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
Here is the link:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Now, who can tell me if this person would have been arrested if it was a copy of the Bible that was burned?

Since we still burn** effigies of the Pope in my neck of the woods, I would have to say no.. so it kinda makes this seem a little silly.

** burn is not exactly the right word since the effigies are stuffed with explosives, and covers just about anyone defined as an enemy of the people, be it the police, media, personalities, world figures and leaders of all religions, no one is exempt if they have been naughty

edit on 25/11/10 by thoughtsfull because: to add more detail

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by thewanger

Eh? What?

burn someone for writing a book?

I think you either made a typo, or I'm missing something...

I think that was the guy from arabia or some middle east country that wrote the necronomicon or something equiv to the satanic bible. He stated that correct. UK gave his assylum instead of burning his butt when he was marked for death by pretty much all fanatical muslims since he was originaly muslim. Once your muslim, you're not alowed to change religions under the penalty of death.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

Oh I know who Salman Rushdie is, aswell as the Satanic Verses (Which is a Fictional Novel and not a version of the satanic bible - muslims just don't like having their prophet written about unless it's glorifying him), but what was wanger expecting the UK to do? Burn him because he wrote a book that muslims didn't like?

That's just silly. So I am still unsure what his point was...

Oh I do find this ironically hilarious..

In the Muslim community, however, the novel caused great controversy for what many Muslims believed were blasphemous references. As the controversy spread, the book was banned in India and burned in demonstrations in the United Kingdom.

Wiki Link

edit on 25/11/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I think the responce was actually 2 diffrent statements pushed together in one small paragraph. First showing disdain for the UK then more less mentioning that the UK didnt arrest him for his doing like they did with the teen girl and teen guy (there was another arrest in that article because of hate speech), instead they granted him assylum from the muslims that wanted him dead.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Yes, very true (in Europe). However, on the other hand, look at the Christian extremists in the US. Check out some links on You Tube. Makes you shudder sometimes. I do, however, get your point. Starred, thanks.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Perhaps and I agree, but... We dont arrest people for burning books unless there is a burning ban in place durring the summertime. Hey.. It prevents forest fires!

We actually arrest the nuttier types of fanatics here instead. Just dont burn the flag. I think that can still get ya shot by firing squad in the millitary still!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

The Satanic Verses was written in 1988, we didn't have the "inciting religious hatred" laws until 1996

Edit
Stupid spelling error
edit on 25-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Nutter types? Oh, what is the name of that self-styled pastor who has his church members boycott the funerals of dead soldiers? I am sure he is a nutter. Please, why has he not been arrested?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Because we have free speech. I agree that this guy needed a good beating, along with this whole congregation. I remember that well. I wanted to go oswald on these people as I am a vet. But... Free speech my friend. Had we arrested him, we would be doing exactly what the UK are doing to these children. Thats all they are. They havnt lived life enough to know the diffrence, but as you have shown, we have people that are older than dirt doing childish things here.

Love it or hate it, Freedom of Speech is nessissary. Though, you have to be very careful. There is a fine line on free speech even here in the states. Sad but true.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

I beg your pardon? Was that a direct reference to me there?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

lol No.

Reading back to see what part ya mean, but never would I put down another person for whatever reason. Possibly a fail in communication there somewhere. Sorry if you took anything to yourself. Definatly not meant if so.

The only thing I can see is where I mentioned that "as you have shown" meaning the preacher you were refering to. I consider him as acting as a child. Teens can be civil, considering the proper upbringing and givin the proper morals in life. Some though, especially in the states that Ive seen around my own children (step), are just... wow!
edit on 25-11-2010 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join