It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Heart and Soul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Forgive me if this topic has been brought up already, but I haven't seen anything about it.

In step with today's documentary fad, Disney presents an inspirational, slightly goofy documentary featuring real-life story slices from Americana � people like Appalachian mountain folk and famous musician wannabes. For example, you'll meet a blind mountain-climber, an Indian elder and a rug weaver. After being fired from cooking-related jobs, Ben Cohen realized he mainly liked to eat, and developed Ben & Jerry's fabulous ice cream. Heart and Soul spotlights everyone from unique mothers, bike messengers, artists and marathon runners (one of whom has Cerebral Palsy) to more eccentric cliff-dancers and outright lunatic fringe. One guy specialized in blowing up junk. This collection of creative dreamers who love life plucks on the heartstrings without being schmaltzy. Definitely worth a look.

Source

Now I think this will be a good movie, I haven't heard much about it but that's because its not as "edgy and cool" as a movie that makes fun of the president.

Apparently Mr. Moore has already criticised this movie, saying it's a response to his F9/11 and all sorts of other good nonsense. Well apparently Moore hasn't done his homework. Becaues this movie has been in production for a while, it was picked up by Disney before Disney picked up F9/11, and it's not getting anywhere near the distribution that F9/11 did. Michael Moore attacking this movie is just another lame attempt to get more money in his pocket by generating more publicity for himself and his "mockumentary." If America's Heart and Soul would be coming out in like 3 months, then I could see it as a response to his movie, but I think that they're coming out around the same time is purely coincidental.

People are giving this movie bad reviews already, but I know that's because like I said it's not as "edgy or cool or provocative" as something that makes fun of our commander in chief and has Mr. Moore's name attached to it. I definitely want to see this movie (just as I want to see F9/11) and hopefully it presents the truth and not fabricated misdirection like F9/11.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It's probably unfair to compare documentaries, and since I've not seen either I can't comment on their content.

Disney have always promoted the "Idealized" America. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either, it's just what they do and there's no harm in that. If I ever see Heart and Soul, (I doubt I will), I'd be interested to what extent it suggests that the examples of individuality included are an "only in america" thing. There may be a totally different message though so I'll not pre-judge.

Got to say though, it sounds a bit naff. It may be a masterpiece, but the concept is pretty dull so I can understand it getting poor distribution.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I can understand it getting poor distribution too, but I still don't think Michael Moore should be like "oh its because of my movie!" blah blah blah.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
No, I'd agree with you there.. Moore's movie probably has little or nothing to do with it.

top topics

join