It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Cookie Monster' Dr Stephen Duckett fired by Alberta Health Services

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
'Cookie Monster' Dr Stephen Duckett fired

THE former head of the Brotherhood of St Laurence in Australia has been sacked as chief executive of a Canadian health service after refusing to stop eating a cookie rather than talk to the media.

The Australian-born Dr Stephen Duckett, who has been dubbed the "Cookie Monster", left a meeting with health care leaders in Edmonton eating a cookie and refused to talk to waiting media about the health crisis in the Canadian province of Alberta.

Dr Duckett, 60, had been headhunted in 2009 from Australia to be in charge of the newly created Alberta Health Services.

But his tenure ended abruptly today after a video went viral of him munching on a cookie as he walked past the media and ignoring their questions except to tell them "I'm eating my cookie".

The former La Trobe University academic issued an apology the day after the incident on November 19, saying he deeply regretted his behaviour and said he respected journalists' right to ask timely questions in the public interest.

("To get the sack/was sacked" is an Australian term meaning to get fired or laid off.)

I couldn't help bursting out with laughter when I saw this story - the title is really funny and it's hard not to think of the big blue, furry monster munching away at cookies. I really do wish Dr. Duckett well and hope he recovers soon, but this story is too funny pass up. Fired for eating a cookie instead of answering questions from the media! I suggest Dr. Duckett looks into establishing a career in the Biscuit Industry. He will forever be known as the Cookie Monster!

(I thought this off-topic story was a nice change from all the serious and gloomy threats as of late.)

EDIT: Here is a Youtube video of the incident

I think firing him was a harsh decision; the guy was under a lot of pressure and probably didn't have time to eat a proper meal. He comes out of a meeting and is hounded by these reporters the instant he gets a moment to himself. The media have the right to report about important issues but come on, they were clearly there to antagonise the guy!
edit on 25/11/2010 by Dark Ghost because: spelling, ETA

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yes to that guy
HE did say there was a media advisory in 30 min. Maybe the reporters should've waited and let the man eat his cookie!!! This was justified FTW. screw thug journilism espically whent they could've waited 30 min

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Meh, the arrogant sod gets paid a base salary of $575,000 with a bonus of up to 25% for performance, he can afford to stop and answer a few questions... I bet that cookie came from the public purse also.

IMO, he was being purely arrogant and disrespectful.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
this is typical of canada. this guy doesn't give a flying f about anything. just like many in canadian government, he keeps collecting a check until the party is over.

but it's never over because he's going back to australia, cracking open a foster and laughing his head off with his australian friends on how stupid the canadians are.

and he'll be able to afford alot of those fosters because canada is going to pay him a severance pension for the next forty years.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Meh, the arrogant sod gets paid a base salary of $575,000 with a bonus of up to 25% for performance, he can afford to stop and answer a few questions... I bet that cookie came from the public purse also.

This was not meant to be a "serious" topic, more light-hearted, but I suggest you try to remove the ego (jealousy, resentment) before judging this guy. Does earning lots of money mean you are not entitled to some time to yourself? Is he arrogant for telling the reporters that all their comments will be addressed in 30 mins time and he just wants a few moments for the content of the meetings he just had to sink in while he eats?

IMO, he was being purely arrogant and disrespectful.

The media as a whole are rather arrogant and disrespectful to those they want to bring down. Patience and Consideration for other human beings is not part of their vocabulary when they are seeking to sensationalise stories and place people in inflammatory situations as a means to provoke.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Reading through the article, linked to by the op i came across this.

Board chairman Ken Hughes told reporters that Mr Duckett was sacked because his ability in the role to be effective was compromised and the cookie video was "one of those elements" that lead to the decision.

This means that the cookie incident was the straw that broke the camel's back.
They were looking for an excuse to sack him and found it.
Unfortunately the article doesn't mention the other elements but it does seem to be a cumulation of small incidents that led to his sacking.

btw it did make me smile and it does show just how arrogant some journalists are
edit on 25-11-2010 by HEREFORD 1969 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2010 by HEREFORD 1969 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join