It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury convicts Tom DeLay in money laundering trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

By JUAN A. LOZANO, Associated Press
– AUSTIN, Texas – Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay — once one of the most powerful and feared Republicans in Congress — was convicted Wednesday on charges he illegally funneled corporate money to Texas candidates in 2002.

Source

The prosecutors make the claim that the money laundered, some $190,000, enabled republicans to take control of the Texas House.

So here's the thing - If true, the actions taken were indeed illegal as corporate funds cannot go directly to political campaigns in Texas. According to the article, the prosecution provided, at best, circumstantial evidence; yet the jury found him guilty. Myself, I would like to think this is evidence of the anger, resentment, and plain frustration that folk are feeling.

It could also be, that DeLay is to be the "sacrificial lamb", so we become appeased and do not demand further investigation into current congressmen since DeLay has been out of the house since 2006.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by blood0fheroes

Justice served...I hope! Even without knowing the details of his history, you know how sometimes you can just tell if someone is a jackass, lying 2 facer just by their tone, body language and facial expressions? Well this guy conveys all of this, imo.

DeLay has chosen to have Senior Judge Pat Priest sentence him.

Chose? Hmm, well that's a new one on me I guess.

He faces five years to life in prison on the money laundering charge and two to 20 years on the conspiracy charge. He also would be eligible for probation.

Dang 5 to life
? Crazy, but I am guessing he will do the minimum on each for a total of 3 to 5 maybe? What do you think?

Pardon the subtle digression, but the movie about Jack Abramoff came out with Kevin Spacey playing Abramoff and Delay's part is included in the movie. You may be right about him being a scapegoat. 3 to 5 so he can get out and cash in on his offshore taxfree money, yea he'd take the hit.

Abramoff Movie

spec

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SunshineLaws

Ahh you beat me to the punch! ATS search looses again, i see.

*eta* Mods, please feel free to close and/or combine this thread with the original.
edit on 24-11-2010 by blood0fheroes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join