It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter buzzing with claims TSA has deactivated body scanners

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
gizmodo.com...

Yeah, there are no problems today because backscatter machines are TURNED OFF at many airports and they are doing normal security procedures. Interesting that they'd rather risk people's safety than endure a PR disaster. By not giving people the chance to opt-out, they effectively take control of the story.

If this is in fact true, then there is no more argument for or against the scanners. If they are willing to turn off the machines to safe face, on one of the busiest travel days of the year, then they really don't need to be turned back on.
edit on 24-11-2010 by janon because: Thank you Aggie Man

edit on 25-11-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
has anyone called al-ciada with this info?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
And here I was wondering why all the news outlets were saying opt-out day was very smooth.
No problems and delays.
Thanks for answering that question.
One would think you would want extra security during the holidays...I wonder who 'slipped' in today...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Its Michael Chertoff that needs to be contacted. Those machines are his.

www.thenewamerican.com...
edit on 24-11-2010 by solarstorm because: .

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon
gizmodo.com...

Yeah, there are no problems today because backscatter machines are TURNED OFF at many airports and they are doing normal security procedures. Interesting that they'd rather risk people's safety than endure a PR disaster. By not giving people the chance to opt-out, they effectively take control of the story.

If this is in fact true, then there is no more argument for or against the scanners. If they are willing to turn off the machines to safe face, on the busiest travel day of the year, then they really don't need to be turned back on.

If this is true and they did turn off the scanners... I hope to all that is good and holy that we don't see a false flag setup while that is case. The day is not yet over... I agree though, if you can turn them off for one day, then obviously they were never really necessary to begin with.

For now though, I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach until there is some kind of confirmation that they indeed have shut off these infernal devices to save their own face.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

...on the busiest travel day of the year....

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but Thanksgiving is not the busiest travel day of the year...not even close.

According to official government data, when it comes to the number of airline flights, today doesn't even rank among the top 25 busiest days.

Back in 2006, it came in 36th. In 2007, it was 55th. And last year, as the economy took a turn for the worst, there were 220 days with more flights than the day before Thanksgiving.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

i know, i was being a bit sarcastic.
think no machines, basic pat down and terrorists.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp

Who the crap is that? al-ciada?
2nd

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer

2nd

It means that Al-Qaeda is a front for the CIA.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer

2nd

You haven't heard that expression before? Al-CIAda is a nick name for Al-Qaeda, based on the past history of the CIA training the mojahedin fighters that later (and the database of names kept on them, called Al-Qaeda) became the terrorists we now fight.
edit on 24-11-2010 by ProvehitoInAltum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

Al CIAda

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Maybe Janet Napolitano has had a brief moment of brilliance and decided to replace the scanners with a device that would save both money and time?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
we turned ours off to not deal with idiots whinging, so the holiday flights would stay smooth

they will be back on monday

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This is a win-win-win for the TSA.

Win #1 - they are seen as "reasonable" during extreme conditions
Win #2 - if a terrorist attack occurs on an airplane, they can blame the public's demands to not have extra screening
Win #3 - since everyone is happy now, they'll just go back to regular business after the holiday

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

“LaGuardia is definitely unusually quiet. Food Court workers remarked they thought it’d be much busier 2day” – lolitapop9

“if the scanners at LAX are off, isnt that because of #wewontfly?” – TheLAPodshow

“on news reports, many talk about walking straight through without a scan.” docsharp

“I made it through security at SJC with no hassle and just a step through the magnetometer.” – Scott B. on Facebook.

“From the people I have talked with, and from a Flyer website I frequent, it seems the TSA was prepared for all the media attention this holiday. I am hearing that even as of yesterday procedures are more relaxed than previously reported, and from my own experience. X-ray machines were not being used except for a very very very small group of the population if at all, the pat downs were very mild, and ‘grand-mother’ type TSA agents were there to greet, smile, and help the public.” – Many S.

“According to MSNBC, reports are coming in that people are getting though the checkpoints in record time.” – Carol B.

“Boston Logan about 8:30 am, 20 minute line, only one person chosen for screenings. He opted out. They are afraid to pull people out for screenings, so in essence the protest has worked. Don’t count on much news coverage, but think they’ll be back to pulling 2 out of 6 tomorrow.” – Marianne S.

“A friend from Orlando went through security today, indicated there was a special ‘protest’ line with nothing more than a metal detector that they’d send people through if they were protesters/opt-outers. He sailed right through security with no issues.” – Jeff R

“IAH was surprisingly empty early this morning.” – Heather M.

“almost everyone is being sent through the metal detectors…also, a huge bank of cameras that wasn’t there 2 weeks ago (also last week, everyone went through the scanners).” – Stephanie H.

“The wait in Atlanta right now is only 15 minutes with 26 opt outs.” – Thais S.

“My mom flew in from Dallas – Love Field and they do NOT have scanners, only metal detectors. Word is that they aren’t getting them because that is where Southwest has their headquarters and doesn’t want them there. Little Rock doesn’t have the scanners either.” – Kerry S.

“Well #TSA security at BWI was uneventful. The lines weren’t long and I just passed through a regular metal detector.” – dsadlosky

“Dulles is a ghost town. No enhanced screening either. Thank you #TSA!” – slickricks

wewontfly.com...

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Now, let's see if people believe in their rights 365 days a year and not just for a national boycott day..

This obviously shows that the establishment is scared of an intelligent and question-asking populace. Keep it up on all fronts. It's time we started putting our chess pieces in place.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

“LaGuardia is definitely unusually quiet. Food Court workers remarked they thought it’d be much busier 2day” – lolitapop9

“if the scanners at LAX are off, isnt that because of #wewontfly?” – TheLAPodshow

“on news reports, many talk about walking straight through without a scan.” docsharp

“I made it through security at SJC with no hassle and just a step through the magnetometer.” – Scott B. on Facebook.

“From the people I have talked with, and from a Flyer website I frequent, it seems the TSA was prepared for all the media attention this holiday. I am hearing that even as of yesterday procedures are more relaxed than previously reported, and from my own experience. X-ray machines were not being used except for a very very very small group of the population if at all, the pat downs were very mild, and ‘grand-mother’ type TSA agents were there to greet, smile, and help the public.” – Many S.

“According to MSNBC, reports are coming in that people are getting though the checkpoints in record time.” – Carol B.

“Boston Logan about 8:30 am, 20 minute line, only one person chosen for screenings. He opted out. They are afraid to pull people out for screenings, so in essence the protest has worked. Don’t count on much news coverage, but think they’ll be back to pulling 2 out of 6 tomorrow.” – Marianne S.

“A friend from Orlando went through security today, indicated there was a special ‘protest’ line with nothing more than a metal detector that they’d send people through if they were protesters/opt-outers. He sailed right through security with no issues.” – Jeff R

“IAH was surprisingly empty early this morning.” – Heather M.

“almost everyone is being sent through the metal detectors…also, a huge bank of cameras that wasn’t there 2 weeks ago (also last week, everyone went through the scanners).” – Stephanie H.

“The wait in Atlanta right now is only 15 minutes with 26 opt outs.” – Thais S.

“My mom flew in from Dallas – Love Field and they do NOT have scanners, only metal detectors. Word is that they aren’t getting them because that is where Southwest has their headquarters and doesn’t want them there. Little Rock doesn’t have the scanners either.” – Kerry S.

“Well #TSA security at BWI was uneventful. The lines weren’t long and I just passed through a regular metal detector.” – dsadlosky

“Dulles is a ghost town. No enhanced screening either. Thank you #TSA!” – slickricks

wewontfly.com...

WOW early and ontime? This shows what a burden this crap is. think about the increase in efficiency(decrease in costs of fuel and paassenger rage). Perhaps the us airline industry would survive this economy with out all the extra b.s piled on by the goobermint.and the keep us safe! crowd..
edit on 24-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

And what do they consider normal security procedures now - pat downs without options of scanners because they turned them off?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
we turned ours off to not deal with idiots whinging, so the holiday flights would stay smooth

they will be back on monday

sticks and stones: "silly badgeless idiots clinging to the law.
what a bunch of losers."

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by janon

And what do they consider normal security procedures now - pat downs without options of scanners because they turned them off?

Apparently they having gone back to the old security procedures - just a run through the old metal detector.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join