It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Country Is A Better Alternative Than The U.S.?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Gibraltar.
If there is one place that I have lived in, that I felt I was safe at all times, was the Rock of Gibraltar.
Its a small place but its next to Spain and opposite Africa.
In Gibraltar you can walk down any street at any given time and you will be safe, without any cameras, anywhere looking at you.
The crime rate is extremely low next to none.
The people are friendly to the point that everyone will help you when asking for directions or with any little problem you may have, Gibraltarians go out of their way to help.
Over there, christians, muslims and jews all live together in harmony.
There are hardly no race related crimes. I was born and raised there, in my whole life, never have I witnessed a race related crime.
To Gibraltarians, family is important. We are in constant touch with the family.
It is an English speaking country but people use two languages, the English and Spanish.
We have the only population of wild apes in Europe called the 'Barbary Ape'.
On a good day, you can sit at the top of the rock relaxing looking at Africa and Spain with the sun hitting your face.
You should check it out

Main Street

Alameda Gardens

Meet my brother. This one I took myself

edit on 25-11-2010 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adramalech
Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Poland, France, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, Australia, Ireland and even the UK have better solutions to most things. They all have a free national health service which covers everyone from cradle to grave for a start.

You're funny. Before you give suggestions on where to move, you might want to learn a little bit about the countries you're suggesting.

"free national health service"
That's a good one!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

I plan on moving to either The Netherlands or Switzerland

Can't speak for the Netherlands but Switzerland is not an option unless you're loaded. . And even though you can work ( with a special visa) in Switzerland, the job market does not favour foreigners, even EU and UK nationals.

Americans have no chance, really. And the people ( outside the tourist areas) aren't overly American friendly. I'm Swiss, but grew up in America and even I found it almost impossible to fit in, Apparently I just wasn't Swiss enough
In the end I moved to the UK, it was just easier for me to make a life there work and social wise.

Switzerland is a safe, beautiful, wealthy country with one of the highest standards of living in the world. Poverty is unusual ( though it does exist but mainly in the very small immigrant community).

Healthcare is NOT socialized but NO ONE dies because they can't go to the doctor. All residents must have full health insurance and the health insurance companies are regulated by the state and thus you cannot be denied coverage. if you cannot afford health insurance it is paid by the state.

The social safety net is extensive and the taxes are low. It is perfect in many ways, but it is VERY difficult to get in and fit in even for EU citizens.Americans and non EU citizens will find it next to impossible.

The country isn't perfect, but in my opinion it's close, as long as you're Swi
edit on 25-11-2010 by Merigold because: Removed random word

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
My understanding is that all the Scandinavian countries are high in their quality of life. A chunk of Switzerlands wealth is actually owned by foreign investors. It still is a great country, and they do mind their own business. Bermuda is a very wealthy place as well, but it's tiny and there is very little available property that's affordable. Luxembourg is also a very rich little country along with Monaco. I'm an American though, and if I had to leave the nation, I think I would be most at home with our English speaking cousins In Australia, New Zealand and Canada. We may have become independant of the British crown, but make no mistake, we are still allies of the crown and obligated by treaty to defend it. We just don't talk about it.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
As others have said there are plenty of places in the world where you are not constantly interfered with by cameras and still have a good family based lifestyle.

Personally I am trying to move to Crete at the moment (even with the economic problems it's a much nicer place to be then London) but step into any small town / village that isn't near a city or a "commuter town" and full of city people and you will instantly feel like you have gone back in time 50 years.
The police become people that you know and drink with, the local politicians are your friends / neighbours, not faceless entities that you have no contact with and the laws of the land are pretty much bent or broken depending on the need of the community.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

I agree with New Zealand or Canada.

We went to NZ 4 or 5 years ago for a couple of weeks, and spent a month backpacking around Canada.

Both places have merits, but NZ has friendly locals, they are always trying to get people to move there! More or less as soon as we got there, our cab driver was trying to talk us into moving there from the UK!
Also, it's not (yet) a big brother police state. Beautiful country too.

I'd be a bit worried about sea level rises though, and they seem to be having a few bad quakes lately.

Canada is staggeringly immense. We toured from Toronto in the East, right across the country, West as far as Victoria (VI), and going North as far as the Queen Charlotte islands, and stopping all over the place in between.

The people (forgive me Canadians) while OK, are nowhere near as open and friendly as the Kiwi's, and getting around would be harder than in NZ...but, the country is very beautiful, and plenty of space to 'bug out' and build yourself a rough place to live in the wilds, should you need to.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
When it comes to freedom and direct democracy...Switzerland! I've been all over the world, and nothing beats Switzerland. They get to vote on anything...new park? Let's vote. New highway? Let's vote.

Also, no crazy CCTV all over the place, low crime rate, ridiculously low unemployment, best currency during crisis, everyone speaks English, great skiing, good food, great public schools compared to most other countries...

To give you an example: A large political group in Switzerland tried to buy one of the major newspapers, and people got all angry saying that they want their news to stay unbiased. The sales was blocked. Now compare that with the US where most major news outlets are partisan.

Downside? Hard to get let in unless you're a professional of some sorts. If you work in banking or pharmaceuticals it's pretty easy though. As for cost...yeah, it's more expensive, but salaries are better too in a lot of cases. A maid in Switzerland makes around 3 times as much in Switzerland than she would make in Germany/France. Totally makes up for the cost of living. I earned $25/hr working as a bicycle messenger, lol...and $30/hr serving drinks at some random wedding when I still was at college over there.
edit on 25-11-2010 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Canada has the most open space I think .
I'm moving to the woods in the spring. heh

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Downside? Hard to get let in unless you're a professional of some sorts. If you work in banking or pharmaceuticals it's pretty easy though. As for cost...yeah, it's more expensive, but salaries are better too in a lot of cases. A maid in Switzerland makes around 3 times as much in Switzerland than she would make in Germany/France. Totally makes up for the cost of living. I earned $25/hr working as a bicycle messenger, lol...and $30/hr serving drinks at some random wedding when I still was at college over there.
edit on 25-11-2010 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

It's also half full of French people.... lets not forget that downside
ditto for Canada
edit on 25-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
It's also half full of French people.... lets not forget that downside
ditto for Canada

Only Quebec, and then there is Newfoundland if you want to learn a new accent, and some words only they understand

The rest of Canada is understandable, and our land mass is huge. Not very many people in the prairies, or up north, probably because it's soooo cold with long winters. But if you have a good woodstove, access to wood, and warm clothing and a snowmobile, the north can be really nice and peaceful. Also a 4 wheel drive truck, a hunting rifle, and fishing gear. I seem to migrate more north with every move, there's more animals and less people.....

Less access to hospitals up north though, you need to keep yourself healthy. Sometimes just avoiding people takes away the stress that causes most illness.

No hospital here will ever turn you away for lack of money. They treat you first, and then look into your insurance. If you're a resident, and don't have money or insurance, the bill gets paid by government. Then they give you insurance backdated to before the hospital trip. It all works out somehow.

My biggest complaint with Canada lately is the cost of gas and food. It depends on where you live here, on what these things cost, but it seems lately when I go to the store, everything is going up in price daily. Except meat. It seems to be dropping in price, but I'm around both farm and forest. This is probably happening everywhere though. Fish, hunt, grow food, and store it over winter, and life in the north can be relatively inexpensive.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
our government is totally ziobot
but they are small, the country is huge
and French Girls.... man oh man oh man
we don't want to share them anyhow.
so buddy up the page who doesn't llike the french,,your loss pal

they don't plow the streets in Monteal, they just get the girls to smile at it, and it just goes away
you guys have to shovel snow when you get it...ha ha whatcha doin wrong I wonder?

The land and the multicultural PEOPLE of Canada,,,NONE FINER ( newfies rok, most down to earth people you will ever find.

If it wasn't for official instigation from our zionazi fiends, Canada would be a shining beacon for the whole world.

The North...well I spent quite a few years working for ELITE Americans who cottage here ....I guess they don't want to share, or they would have told the rest of american why they spend so much dough to be here.

hey SS luv the AV

edit on 25-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is a typical comment from a typical American.

You guys don’t know how lucky you are. Is there any wonder other countries detest you when you make comments such as this.

My advice, go and actually travel around the world, not the fake resorts but walk among the people... Then lets here you say you think you have it bad where you are.

Korg.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I've had a French girlfriend, once was more then enough

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

S&F for you! I have the same problem with this country. If I could I would move to Canada....

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Maybe having it better than most is not good enough for the people of the land of the free. We are slowly loosing our rights. Your comment is typical of someone that is repeating what others have said for hundreds of years.. Child asks its mother: "why can't I have a new toy?" Mother says "You should be happy with the toys you have, there are less fortunate children that don't have any toys"

Well we are not children anymore and we are not dealing with toys anymore. We are dealing with our rights as human beings, as citizens of the United States of America. When will we decide that good enough or better than some, is not an acceptable attitude. I cringe thinking what this country would be if our fore fathers had our values and outlook on freedom.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
This is a typical comment from a typical American.

You guys don’t know how lucky you are. Is there any wonder other countries detest you when you make comments such as this.

My advice, go and actually travel around the world, not the fake resorts but walk among the people... Then lets here you say you think you have it bad where you are.

Korg.

This is a typical Anti American sentiment from a typical bigot.

Who are you to make any judgements about what the "Typical American" is like? How on earth would you know where the OP has travelled to and where he hasn't.

The rest of the world detest America? Maybe a few idiots do, most of us aren't so blinkered.

Ohh and regarding my "French" comment, it was just a joke based on the historic English / French animosity, I did put the laughing smiley after it so I thought that was clear. I don't mind the French at all... It's those damn Swedes I can't stand

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nottheonlyone
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Maybe having it better than most is not good enough for the people of the land of the free. We are slowly loosing our rights. Your comment is typical of someone that is repeating what others have said for hundreds of years..

Not at all, my comment is typical of someone whom has actually travelled around and seen with my own eyes how the rest of the world live.

You Americans should think yourselves lucky and have a little humility about what you have.

Korg.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
you can move to Haiti anytime if you don't like the US

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Try the Moon, or you could stop whinning and try to change the things you don't like about your country. Running away doesn't solve your problems, you''l just take them to where ever you go, as for family breakdown, like the other poster said, if you want a family with certain values then try to apply those values to you family.

Peace :-)

PS

If you don't like CCTV You won't like the UK. :-)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Not trying to be rude but why be a rat leaving a sinking ship. When you have just as much at stake in this country as me or the polish, German or Hispanic immigrant down the street. Why not stay and change things instead of running off to a distant land and leaving your countrymen to defend for them selves. Or are you just leaving for the meantime till the smoke clears and come back and say how much you love the US? Im not trying to be mean or insensitive I dont know you or your situation and not trying to pretend I do. But I wounder why as of late when the tough gets going people bow out.

Like I said not trying to step on your toes and such, just wonder why people give up on things that can be changed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join