It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerial view of damage on South Korea's Yeonpyeong island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Aerial view of damage on South Korea's Yeonpyeong island

www.bbc.co.uk

Pictures reveal damage on Yeonpyeong island after North and South Korea fired dozens of artillery shells across their tense western sea border on Wednesday.

In one of the most serious incidents since the Korean War ended in 1953, two South Korean soldiers were killed and more than a dozen people were hurt.

The latest pictures of the island show neighbourhoods reduced to rubble with shops and homes burnt and destroyed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well I thought I should show this, it's video footage from a helicopter of the damage done from that artillery barrage.

I suppose breaking news is as good a forum as any...

It's not up on youtube yet so I can't really embed it here, just click the link - nothing new in the way of news, but the footage is interesting.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to add - you can really see that this is a civilian looking area, really not sure how accurately these rounds landed, but land they did, I'm surprised more people didn't die.
edit on 24/11/2010 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If I lived on that island, I'd make sure my country retaliated either in like maner or by declaration of war. That could be my house, where I left my wife while I went to the store. eff that. Feel sorry for SK as they have less military might than their evil northern neighbor.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tempest333
If I lived on that island, I'd make sure my country retaliated either in like maner or by declaration of war. That could be my house, where I left my wife while I went to the store. eff that. Feel sorry for SK as they have less military might than their evil northern neighbor.
BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD, is what your actually screaming!
You want to see the end of the world? Who to blame for this is the forces the divided Korea, and Vietnam, in the first place!!!

Yes, vengeance is the first and most primeval instinct, but would you want the blood of the world on your hands? Let Korea reunite, what real harm would come of it?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD, is what your actually screaming!
You want to see the end of the world? Who to blame for this is the forces the divided Korea, and Vietnam, in the first place!!!

Yes, vengeance is the first and most primeval instinct, but would you want the blood of the world on your hands? Let Korea reunite, what real harm would come of it?

I'm just saying, if MY home was destroyed with my wife in it, not my computer, cats, or nosey neighbor, my WIFE. I don't care how much blood pours forth, I will have the opportunity to educate North Korean artillary and/or officers, how important that little island is to ME, and to not use it as a scare or flex target. And I expect any government to protect and retaliate to the deaths of a citizen. "What? Yes, of course I'll wait while you (gov't) find out who is responsible for this act of war. But when you find them, let me help."

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tempest333

But when you find them, let me help."
My feelings exactly! In this last bout, it appears your government SK, was the ones to start this!

South Korea has admitted it fired artillery shells that triggered an early morning clash with North Korea. However it says it was part of a military drill and denied it was directed at the North. Earlier Seoul blamed the North for what it called an unprovoked shelling of its island. Pyongyang claimed the South had violated its maritime border during the military drills. Seoul has since threatened its neighbor with what it called ‘enormous retaliation’. Russia’s foreign ministry said the clashes were unacceptable and called on both sides to show restraint.

www.infowars.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

I don't think SK started this at all, so some shells were fired off, they are all the time, they land in the sea, and not on resendential areas... And I think we can all agree looking at that video, and a map of the island (I will get one actually and update this post) that those shells fell exactly where they were aimed, on military and civilian targets.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dd2d2b5c71a6.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit, I believe it's most likely in that red box, or it may be the smaller built up area to the north east.

edit:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d8f0a725c8db.jpg[/atsimg]

And that is a screen grab of a house that was hit, not exactly a military target....

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I know on MASH they used to get shelled by their own artillary all the time..It was one of their biggest peaves about about being in the American army

Like Pakistan:
32 percent civilian casualty rate from drone attacks, and Pakistan is a ALLY.
the us and S K were asked not to run a drill in disputed waters...

say remember the cuban missle crisis?
a response to the US missles in Turkey and we still never heard the end of the complaining about evil cuba..mean while guess who started the deal there?

The chousen torpedo was just retested exaustivly and found to NOT BE NK's it was German and had been down the bottom for quite some time...ooopsi
but the photos show lottsa old barnacles, even for an amature it was obvious the day they were published...

well once a liar always a liar...well unless you are a lier, but that would be a lie, if the lier said it was a lie
edit on 24-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

MASH was a mobile unit very close to an active front line, and it's a TV show, not exactly a direct comparison...

Edit, and are you somehow suggesting that those were south korean shells that hit south korean territory???

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye
reply to post by Tempest333

But when you find them, let me help."
My feelings exactly! In this last bout, it appears your government SK, was the ones to start this!

I have no problem shoving my fist up any government's rear. sounds to me like SK was at least a partial cause in this, whether specifically the artillary muscle flexing, or the overall unrest between SK and NK. So I am glad I was born with two fists.

top topics

join