It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My controversial thoughts about the TSA fiasco and the government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I'm sure this has been said before but I would like to submit my thoughts, even as unpolitical correctness goes. The "so called" reason for the invasive body scanners and pat downs is for extra security to prevent islamic terrorists from bombing planes. However, it would be politically incorrect to target only people of the muslim faith. The irony here is quite evident. Lets offend everyone so we don't appear to offend a target group. The logic in this is so flawed it points to one of two things:

1. The government is not too bright
2. This has nothing to do with terrorists

My personal feeling is, if the government truly wanted to eradicate the potential of air threats on our commercial flights, then ethnic profiling would be the solution. Its really that simple. Yes, I know what the majority of you are saying in your minds regarding my post. I am aware that not ALL muslims are terrorists. But this is why I believe this method would work. Islamic fundamentalists must be disarmed from "within". Not only do we target them for extra screening, we don't let them fly. Let me say for the record before I get blasted here, I am not racist so please don't use that card. Just call it "tough love". By causing isolation within their culture, the ones who silently let the extremists have a voice will hopefully stand up for their opposing views and have a voice of their own.

I'm sure any other country other than USA and Canada would have put the ethnic foot down and tell these nations to get a voice. Fix it our forget it. I'm in Canada and the bleeding heart of political correctness has gone too far in my opinion. I opted out of the scanner and got patted down coming out of Ottawa all the while thinking how ridiculous this is knowing full well that I was only targeted because of the "fair play" our country needs to be on the forefront of.

Too many unnecessary human rights laws IMO and yet nothing has been accomplished in terms of safety for fear of offending the wrong person. Instead, lets offend everyone. Moronic.

So I'll reiterate, this has nothing to do with airport security and I don't think the government is dumb. It's a combination of no backbone and a capitalist investment. Further, because of the lack of ethnic profiling, which I believe is the common sense thing to do, it would mean there is no islamic threat.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I so totally agree with your assessment. I just don't get it... Offend your citizens, all of them, or offend the group that wants to blow us to kingdom come! Hmmm... 1, offend all, or 2, offend terrorists. Oh, but wait...Did they not say we could opt out of the backsplatter? Yet moments ago, I learned you will be you branded as a domestic extremist according to Homeland SEcurity.

More and more, USA is looking like a communist state. I cannot imagine if I had been the poor woman in the security box for over an hour and 15 mins, trying to get her breastmilk cleared. Well, I can imagine... I would have been so furious that I would be in jail because I would not have STOOD in that plexiglass box for an hour and fifteen minutes while those fat ass TSA agents stood around doing nothing. Our government has gone too far!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I see a couple of errors in your argument. How do you know what a Muslim looks like? You don't think they would change their look to sneak a bomb on a plane? I bet they would dress up like a Catholic priest if allowed them to bypass security. Also you're assuming the only people who want to blow up or hijack planes are Muslims. Take a look here List of notable aircraft hijackings and you'll see a lot of hijackings that were not by Muslims. I agree the new screenings are just a dog and pony show and they don't make me feel safer and it's an infringement on our rights, but if you just profile one group, it's not going to work.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by righteyered

I took a look at your link. 1950-1970 was a long long long time ago. 1980 also was a long time ago but our airports have increased their security measures since then. 1990-2000 hijacks have been:

India, Pakistan, Algiers, and Iran. In answer to your question about how can you tell? Well, I can by just looking. More so, the airline company looks at your passport. So, its a no brainer in my opinion. Can you tell me when the last American, Canadian, French, German, or any nation other than the middle east have attempted to hijack a plane?

I'm all for human rights but when does it stop? In Vancouver, you can't even smoke within 6 meters of a door outside. Plus, smoking has been banned all together in parks. My point is, enough with worrying about what other people think and time to grow some skin.

Let them sort it out.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Please tell me how you can tell just by looking. Anybody can be Muslim, it's not restricted to one race or region. Just because recent hijacking have been by Muslims doesn't mean that future ones will only be by Muslims. Do you think they are the only people upset? Also do you honestly think that if you only search people who you think look Muslim that they won't change their appearance to sneak in? If you try to only search people with foreign passports, do you think they won't recruit domestically? The truth is we can't be 100% safe, that's the problem that the TSA doesn't accept and they think by doing more invasive searches that they can solve the problem but people will always find a way around, if you start profiling people then its just another avenue they can take advantage of.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by righteyered

Of course there will be holes and we can never be 100% safe. I agree with you on those points along with home grown terrorists. But just like any other security position, you must use discretion. Besides, isn't the monitoring of certain religious groups and those of the like associated with these groups an already existing practice within the CIA and FBI anyway? Profiling is certainly nothing new.

If the government was really serious about this sort of thing, don't you think it would have already been handled? Naked body scans and public humiliation against those who are supposed to be protected tells a different story, and we both agree on that. With that said, I've opened another can of worms suggesting there really is no threat in the first place. Think about that

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'd like to think that the FBI and CIA's profiling is deeper then just someone's religion, but a lot of it probably is that simple. What they do and how much they infringe on peoples rights I don't exactly know. But a free society shouldn't take away one groups rights or humiliate them based only on their looks.

You raise an interesting question, how much of a threat is there in the first place. I've never heard of anyone being caught with a bomb going through security. They are either caught in the planning stages of it or they are already on the plane when it's found. So other then keeping obvious weapons off a plane, I don't think TSA helps.

new topics

top topics

join