It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Help save the life of a turkey this year!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It's not as simple as "moral hang-up." I think most people are concerned about how the animals are treated. It's about:

1. How healthy their food is: no hormones, not fed GMO's or other dead turkey, free range, essentially "organic."

2. How humanely they are treated, and "humanely" killed, if there is such a thing, but that is a contridiction if I've ever heard one.

The older i get, the more sensitive I get to this issue. I can have a happy holiday without turkey. Honestly the stuffying, mac n' cheese, and other things taste way better, lol.

Originally posted by Loki
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Look, the fact of the matter is that Homo Sapiens is an omnivorous species.

If you have some type of moral objection to eating turkey, that's your hangup. I hope you enjoy your tofurkey, I do. It's just really annoying to have someone in my ear telling me that I need to save a turkey's life rather than put it on the table for my family.

It is a bird. It is a respected tradition to eat said bird, and I really don't appreciate you using the term meat eater like a swear.

Honestly this vegetarian # is pretty tired.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Help save the life of a turkey this year

We never eat a store bought turkey. I save one from the spring season every year that and a big deer roast with tatters and onions thats all most done MMMM MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM now thats some fine vittles. Happy thanksgiving

edit on 25-11-2010 by hillbilly4rent because: Im thinking more of food than gramer

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Look, the fact of the matter is that Homo Sapiens is an omnivorous species.

Nowhere have I suggested otherwise.

If you have some type of moral objection to eating turkey, that's your hangup. I hope you enjoy your tofurkey, I do.

I can understand why you're so defensive.

The logical outcome of the cognitive dissonance that must be involved in forming your position on this issue must be gnawing away at you.

It's just really annoying to have someone in my ear telling me that I need to save a turkey's life rather than put it on the table for my family.

Perhaps it would be better if you didn't have to rely on someone in your right ear telling you this.

It is a bird. It is a respected tradition to eat said bird, and I really don't appreciate you using the term meat eater like a swear.

As I've said, it's a mindless tradition that some people follow. If we kept on slavishly following cultural tradition, then we would still be living in caves and speaking in clicks and grunts. Then again, that doesn't sound too dissimilar to some of us nowadays...

I didn't use the term ''meat eater'' in a pejorative sense.

How else can I describe someone that eats meat ?
''Carnivore'' isn't an accurate way to describe meat-eaters, as that has a specific meaning that isn't synonymous with ''meat-eater''.

It is not my problem or concern if this term upsets your delicate sensibilities.

Honestly this vegetarian # is pretty tired.

Of course, you would find it tired.

edit on 25-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

"Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Help save the life of a turkey this year!"

I am.

We're having ham.

Happy Thanksgiving
edit on 25-11-2010 by redhorse because: forgotted

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Sorry, not saving any turkey here, except for a sandwich the next day

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I got my turkey a few days ago, a group of them had the misfortune of entering my back yard. I managed to get 3 of em, thanksgiving and christmas dinner is covered

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Typical condescending vegetarian gobbledegook.

Again. I hope you enjoy your tofurkey, or whatever 8 bean casserole you have planned for thanksgiving.

Just because you don't agree with eating turkey does not make it a misguided belief. I know I won't be losing any sleep over it.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Just because you don't agree with eating turkey does not make it a misguided belief.

The opposite also applies.

Just because you agree with eating turkey does not make it a reasonable belief.

I know I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I'd wager that you will.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
to each to their own beliefs, they dont wanna eat meat, fine, I'll eat my share and their share

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
to each to their own beliefs, they dont wanna eat meat, fine, I'll eat my share and their share

To each their own beliefs, they don't wanna own slaves, fine, I'll own my share and their share

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Help save the life of a turkey this year!

Tell it to these guys

Greetings

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~Mohandas Gandhi

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

I thought it was how well they kept their bathrooms clean...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Originally posted by turbokid
"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~Mohandas Gandhi

Exactly. I don't see why vegetarians or vegans get such a bad name and stereotype put to them. What is so bad about feeling compassionate towards animals? You make us out to be so ridiculous. Just because we can eat meat doesn't mean we need or have to eat meat. If that's not good enough to be a reason, then at least recognize that just because we have to kill in the end to get meat doesn't mean we should knock the animals around in the meantime. Exclusively being your next meal is not an excuse for abuse and torture. I guess it just depends on where your values lie.
edit on 11/25/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Let's save turkey, let us bomb Iran instead :-) LOL

Sorry guys but I will eat the turkey. Meat is a very important ingredient to humans. I won't deny it to myself.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
Exactly. I don't see why vegetarians or vegans get such a bad name and stereotype put to them.

The reason that vegetarians and vegans get a bad name is largely down to the guilt-trip travelled by meat-eaters.

People, as a rule, tend to defend their own vices in a knee-jerk manner, and meat-eaters are no different.

Meat-eaters suffer from an extreme bout of cognitive dissonance when it comes down to attempting to justify their self-indulgent eating practices.

It's not that meat-eaters are bad people, it's just the hypocrisy, dishonesty and wilful suspension of disbelief that surround their views, that makes me a little dismissive and sceptical towards their character and moral ethos.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving to all! I will encourage Mom to buy a free range turkey next year. Hope everyone enjoys the festivities and time together.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I really wish you would stop comparing vegetarianism to Abolition. It's disgusting and frankly disrespectful to generations of slaves.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
and yes, a very Happy Thanksgiving
to you and yours from boon.

Since we all can't be together
for the holidays, I thought I would share
the bounty of the boon with everybody
here who didn't get to be with family
and friends.

See the boon's Thanksgiving Day spread.

Roasted Chicken
Rice and giblet gravy
Cranberry sauce
homemade biscuits
Corn on the cob
Cut Green Beans
Homemade stuffing
Deviled Eggs
Southern Yams
Southern Potato Salad
and sweet homemade ice tea
and homemade Banana Pudding for dessert (not pictured)

enjoy the feast brethren !!!

at the boon's table we say grace.
Thank you lord for the bounty.
Let's eat

Happy Thanksgiving to my ATS friends
and family

edit on 11/25/2010 by boondock-saint because: clarifying

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I really wish you would stop comparing vegetarianism to Abolition. It's disgusting and frankly disrespectful to generations of slaves.

Please quote me where I have compared vegetarianism to abolitionism.

There's no need to invent points that I never made, just because you can't counter the arguments that I have made.

I'm expecting a replication of my posts that back up your claims, or an apology.

As I suspect that neither will be forthcoming, I'll just assume that you like to throw around baseless and false accusations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join