It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Help save the life of a turkey this year!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

I don't shop at Trader Joe's, and that is not the only place to obtain fake meat, or Tofurky. I shop at a small, family-owned health food store that's been around for over 50 years in my area. I try to support local businesses, not chains. But thanks for taking a jab at me anyhow.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm 1 day early, but tomorrow I plan on eating myself into a poultry coma....

To everyone who doesn't eat fake turkey:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21c24b390ce1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I buy free range turkey from a local guy for thanksgiving. Bought 2 of them and I treat the family.. becaue I get to cook every darned year! He prepares them and they are never frozen.. freshly butchered. Yes, throughout the year I buy frozen turkey from the store.. and I am unapologetic.

I will NEVER eat a tofu turkey... meat is meat and tofu is..err.. well.. tofu. Soy and tofu make me ill.. in reality it makes my physically ill. Soy milk will cause me similar distress as I feel when I drink cows milk. Pork also makes me hoestly sick if I eat more than a very very little. I need meat to survive and I use beef, bison, wild game, turkey, chicken, and have recently acquired a taste for elk. I also like seafood.. but shellfish only. Cant even get that where we live though that isnt so inflated in price its ridiculous.. like the shrimp and lobster here looks like what I would throw back but they charge premium prices. I think some need to realize that not everyone in the US is genetically European. Some genetics require things that others dont. The food pyramid kept many of us sick as it doesnt apply to us. In my case, I can handle and need a much higher amount of fats in my diet. These crazy blanket statements by the vegan/animal rights folks are just a bad as the blanket BS thrown around by the FDA concerning what the heck I put in my body and how much of it. I look to my ancestors and see what they ate and how.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Plants are living things too and have feelings. With that...I will be having real turkey for my Thanksgiving.

I wish everyone a wonderful and peaceful holiday!!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Mmmmmm, turkey... me likey...

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ok,
This is as good a place as any to ask.
If vegetarians don't want to eat meat then why are there so many vegetable based meat products? Fake burgers, hot dogs, tofu turkeys, the list goes on and on.

If vegetables are so good and so good for you then why are so many "vegetarians" trying to fake carnivore food?

It's not like meat eaters walk into a butcher shop and buy meat based vegetable product.

"Yep it tastes like eggplant but it's 100% sirloin. You'd never know.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

It's because meat tastes good.

In most cases, being a vegetarian doesn't mean that you don't like the taste of meat.

While ''fake meat'' will never taste as good as the real thing, it's still better than eating something that used to be a sentient creature.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

It's because meat tastes good.

In most cases, being a vegetarian doesn't mean that you don't like the taste of meat.

While ''fake meat'' will never taste as good as the real thing, it's still better than eating something that used to be a sentient creature.

So you like meat?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Take a day, save a bird. Create some good karma for yourself. If everyone stopped buying turkey, they would be farming allot less turkeys. Unlike cats and other true carnivores, humans have the ability to absorb vitamin A from vegetables. Meat is not necessary for humans to survive.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Just because you like meat doesn't mean you have to eat it. I don't get where you're going with this. Another point to think about is that if you were raised eating meat and then decided to stop eating meat, sometimes it's nice to join in everyone's familiar dinners, for example grilling in the summer. If I'm at a party where someone is grilling for dinner, I don't necessarily want to starve myself or bring my own dinner with. It's much easier to buy a fake meat product mocking whatever they are eating at said event, that way I don't have to inconvenience myself or anyone else for the sake of my diet. In general though, I don't always eat pre-made fake meat products. It's not like a staple for me, but it's convenient at times. Other examples would be things such as tacos. You can have a taco without meat but say you want a taco with something more on it and maybe don't feel like eating beans or something, then you can use the fake ground beef and regular taco seasoning to have variant in what you eat. Fake hot dogs if your family is eating hot dogs that night, burgers if it's burgers. It is so you don't have to cook something totally separate from them and not spend time together because your're inside preparing your meal while they are all outside grilling. Fake chicken to add to a salad, etc. It's just about 1) convenience, 2) variation and 3) blending in I think mostly, more so than wanting something that tastes like meat. I don't eat too much of one thing so I don't eat these things all the time, but they are nice to have around without having to support the killing of animals in the process. Anyway, aren't there other people to pick on than the ones who just want to save some turkeys?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
By vegetarian turkey, I assume you mean what people call a "tofurkey". If this is the case, then I must decline said offer. I've had tofurkey before and thought it was nasty. More power to those who can stomach it, though.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
You can get vegetarian turkey at the co op or health food store.

What guarantee is given that a vegetarian turkey has not eaten any insects or worms?

www.winston-wu.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I cant wait to eat my turkey.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I'm with you on that man.

God gave us these animals to be eaten. I'm not for killing anything that won't be eaten just for the record. 2x turkey day for me as well.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
So you like meat?

I like ( or liked ) the taste of meat, but I'm now a vegetarian.

This does not mean that my diet consists largely of vegetables !

I don't think you'll find too many honest vegetarians who would deny that meat tastes nice. Humans are omnivores, so it makes sense that animals and plants are both agreeable to our taste-buds.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Plants are living things too and have feelings. With that...I will be having real turkey for my Thanksgiving.

Following your own logic it is perfectly acceptable to eat ''roast human'' at Thanksgiving dinner.

Your argument is along the lines of:
Plants and animals are both living things with feelings; it is OK to kill and eat plants, therefore it's OK to kill and eat animals.

Which means that following your own argument, it logically follows:
Plants, animals and humans are all living things with feelings; it is OK to kill and eat plants and animals, therefore it is OK to kill and eat humans.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Thank you Turkey, for the sustenance that you gave to us. Even though you possess life, of which I had extinguished, out of need and not for sport, your spirit of life and your flesh will be one with me, as well as the memory of you and your kind's sacrifice to my species for survival, cherished forever and never to be taken for granted. Thanks.

edit on 25-11-2010 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
No offense to any vegetarians, but I honestly think your energy would be better spent fighting for something more meaningful than changing an age-old tradition to suit the needs of a bizarre dietary choice very few hold.

Turkey is an iconic part of an American Tradition, which unlike some other holidays we celebrate, actually lauds a very noble idea in our lives; Thanksgiving is a time for gratefulness for what we all have, and we express this by enjoying a bounteous meal with our loved ones.

Vegetarian Turkey? Please pass the earthbound avian carcass. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
No offense to any vegetarians, but I honestly think your energy would be better spent fighting for something more meaningful than changing an age-old tradition to suit the needs of a bizarre dietary choice very few hold.

Of course, as a meat eater, you would think that.

Just as I, as a vegetarian, would think that your energy would be better spent not mindlessly following the crowd and observing this meaningless age-old tradition.

Saying that it's a dietary choice that ''very few hold'' is a fallacious line of argument, as it suggests that:

1. The number of people that adopt this choice has any relevance to the validity of it.

2. Movements such as abolitionism could have been brushed off in their infancy, because it was a ''view that very few people held''.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Look, the fact of the matter is that Homo Sapiens is an omnivorous species.

If you have some type of moral objection to eating turkey, that's your hangup. I hope you enjoy your tofurkey, I do. It's just really annoying to have someone in my ear telling me that I need to save a turkey's life rather than put it on the table for my family.

It is a bird. It is a respected tradition to eat said bird, and I really don't appreciate you using the term meat eater like a swear.

Honestly this vegetarian # is pretty tired.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join