It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Help save the life of a turkey this year!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. Thanks to you for all your contributions here and bringing variety to our discussion.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner, whether you have it with family or alone.

I love vegetarian turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and yams. I'm one of the few that like yams. They are sweet and tasty. I don't understand why most people don't like them.

You can get vegetarian turkey at the co op or health food store. It is VERY good and tasty and hits the spot. You'll be surprised. So if you want to help save a turkey's life this year, try getting one of those.

I wish they had them overseas but I can't find them in Asia. That's one thing I miss about America. They got veggieburgers, tofu dogs, veggie bacon, and vegetarian turkey and they taste VERY GOOD.

See if they have Trader Joe's in your area. They have a lot of healthy tasty good organic and vegetarian food.

Most of us constantly compare ourselves with those who have more than us, which makes us feel down and inadequate. But remember, there are billions of people worse off than you, so you should appreciate what you have.

So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I think we should learn to do that today!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
sorry but thats mostly soy and 80% of soy in america is GMO.... sorry birdy but I am going to eat you.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

My family, including those who eat meat, will be willfully enjoying a said Tofurky roast this year, along with all the other traditional non-meat holiday dishes.

I imagine this thread will get (some) negative attention from all the hungry people dreaming about tomorrow's turkey. So to those of you, I'd just like to say to at least keep an open mind on the subject. Vegetarian food doesn't taste bad or bland, as some like to say. My husband is constantly surprised by the food I make, and while I doubt he'd ever go fully veg/vegan, he does eat significantly less meat now and admits that food does not need to contain meat to taste good, be healthy, or to be filling. Doesn't stop his friends from teasing him about it though!

Save a turkey! Or at least tell it you are thankful for its contribution.

edit on 11/24/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

S&F

but i'm only 16 and I think my parents want a regular turkey

But I really like the idea!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Save a bird? How would I go about saving a turkey thats already dead, packaged and frozen? The only responsible action to take as a caring and level headed human is to enjoy the bird. You surely wouldn't want it to go to waste would you? Not with all the starving people in the world.

link   
reply to post by robbinsj

Just wanted to add that Tofurky (the tofu Turkey alternative, obviously) specificially is non-GMO.

link   
These birds are raised to be eaten, and the ones that don't sell just get killed anyway.

You are not saving a single bird.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
For every Turkey that you don't eat I'm going to eat two.
And I don't even celebrate thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Our bodies were made to eat and digest meat. Why do you vegans starve yourself of nutrients from meat? I know you argue that you can get equal amount of it in your vegtables, but whats the cheif reason why you don't eat meat? And why if you dont eat meat do some of products have flavoring to make them taste like certain meats? I just don't understand the logic behind all of it?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Tofurkey, along with other types of vegetarian turkey, is simply nasty.

Whats even worse are the people who eat those atrocities. They have a certain elitist attitude and feel they are better than others who eat dead animals. Most tend to drive Scions or Subaru Outbacks, use Macs, and have a general snottiness to them.

Personally, 1 dead animal isnt enough for me, so I go with the tried and true turducken. 3 dead animals on a single plate!
edit on 24-11-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving to all those across the pond

Please keep the family squabbles to a minimum, and don't overdo grand pa's whisky.

God bless from a very cold and dark UK.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

yeah buddy....turduken! I think that was created just out of spite towards the vegans. Great avatar btw.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I just heard on the news that 45 million turkeys loose their life for thanksgiving dinner.(turkey holocaust and Americans are the Nazi's)sarcastic Which is one sixth of the entire years worth of turkey for a one day feast.

I have a turkey thawing out now in the kitchen, but I did not know there was vegetarian turkey.. I thankyou for letting us know it is out there and I just might try some .

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
How bout doing what they did back then and hunt your own turkey instead??
You sure are thankful bringing that back home.(it is thanksgiving right)

Wild turkey has alot of dark meat and its tasty.

To each their own but I will choose meat over that gross fake meat anyday!!

How bout this....buy a turkey and give it to some needy family.
Save the humans,turkeys are doing fine.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by joeshsamp

yeah buddy....turduken! I think that was created just out of spite towards the vegans. Great avatar btw.

Ever tried one?

Turducken is 100% awesomeness. A layer of stuffing in between each bird makes it even awesomer.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Just so happens I posted a few recipes to a different thread ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Not all of them what you'd call strictly veg... but still yummy

MILE HIGH RED CHILE CHEDDAR APPLE PIE

BUTTERNUT SQUASH-APPLE SOUP

and a way to make Brussels sprouts eatable

PS: being Native American we don't call it thanksgiving... We call it a sad ending to the king Philip's war

from Wiki..

King Philip's War, sometimes called Metacom's War or Metacom's Rebellion,[1] was an armed conflict between Native American inhabitants of present-day southern New England and English colonists and their Native American allies in 1675–1676. The war is named after the main leader of the Native American side, Metacomet, Metacom, or Pometacom, known to the English as "King Philip".[2] It continued in northern New England (primarily on the Maine frontier) after King Philip was killed, until a treaty was signed at Casco Bay in April 1678.[3]

According to a combined estimate of loss of life in Schultz and Tougias' King Philip's War, The History and Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict (based on sources from the Department of Defense, the Bureau of Census, and the work of Colonial historian Francis Jennings), 800 out of 52,000 English colonists (1.5%) and 3,000 out of 20,000 Native Americans (15%) lost their lives due to the war. Proportionately, it was one of the bloodiest and costliest wars in the history of North America.[4] More than half of New England's ninety towns were assaulted by Native American warriors.[5]

the real thanksgiving celebration took place in 1676... Kings Philip's head was stuck to a pike as a warning to all those uppity indians, Philip's son was sold into slavery in the west indies... History sucks don't it...
edit on 24-11-2010 by DaddyBare because: Add a few facts

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by joeshsamp

There are many reasons, to each his own. My specific reasoning is over the abusive treatment of animals intended to be raised for slaughter, and also the added hormones/pharmaceuticals involved, and other such aspects of the meat industry. I agree "save a bird" seems a bit ridiculous, but I assume it was meant to be more figurative than literal...

As for the seasoning, just because we don't eat meat doesn't mean we are saying meat tastes bad. For me, it's more about the issues mentioned above. Perhaps if our country had better regulations to the industry I might eat meat, but probably not (I never particularly liked meat, even as a child).

Like I said, to each his own. I don't try to push my views on others, I'm just doing the little part I feel I can in not giving my money to support the industry itself. I'm sorry I just can't condone and be part of an industry of people who get their jollies off beating on defenseless animals whose only point in life is to be eaten after being senselessly tortured.

If we are going to eat other animals, we could at the very least show them a little respect. Honestly, I think if more people saw what goes on in those places, and actually saw the conditions those animals have to live in, they probably wouldn't look so appetizing anymore. It's not pretty.

As for the nutritional aspect, it's complete baloney (no pun intended) that you need meat to be healthy.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Why not get a wild turkey? Hell, I have a flock of about 30 of them around my house. There used to be 31, but 1 of them seemed a bit depressed right before he jumped out in front of my car.

Juicy meat, free of hormones and antibiotics, and a nicer, different flavor to the ordinary farm raised turkey.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I have not tried one. I would prefer to have one made for me instead of making it myself. I fear i would mess it up and i would either burn or undercook all or one bird. Ever since i first heard of the idea i was intrigued by it. Someday i will ingest one. i would prefer to do it in front of a vegan PETA member.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Another thing, to be fair to everyone here, I'm not saying all veggie/vegan food tastes good. There are certainly some nasty fake meat products out there, but then that is true of any type of food. I also don't think boycotting turkey on Thanksgiving is very productive, as you said, they are already dead.

But that is the sort of apathetic and passive attitude that allows the meat industry to do all the atrocious things they do. Perhaps instead of boycotting turkey, it would be better to spread information on the topic of the treatment of the animals who are slaughtered to help us live, since we "need meat" to live and all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join