It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me Identify this object

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I don't know. But i don't think that's its a star or a planet, its too big. So we now have to assume that it is a Unidentified Flying Object.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kakerot7
I don't know. But i don't think that's its a star or a planet, its too big. So we now have to assume that it is a Unidentified Flying Object.

that was one of the things that first got
my attention about it was how large it
was in the sky. I didn't get to see
the shape of it til I got back home and d/l
to my pc and pulled out the editor and
opened them up. Then I saw the shape
and was like whoa !!!! I just couldn't really
tell much about it looking at it on that
lil preview screen on the camera.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
hey wasn't there a thread here on ATS
which stated something about mass UFO
sightings would happen on 11/24/10?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree with poster Soylent Green Is People. The images are blurry and it looks like you have camera shake going on? Have a look at your EXIF data on the originals and post the shutter speed? It is no use describing the shape of it on an image with blur and shake as any light source is going to be distorted.

TJ
edit on 24-11-2010 by tommyjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
it might be Venus.
It's kind of an odd shape for Venus
though. But my eyes aren't what
they use to be.

Go back out tomorrow morning at 5:00. If it's there again in the same place, then it's Venus.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommyjo
I agree with poster Soylent Green Is People. The images are blurry and it looks like you have camera shake going on? Have a look at your EXIF data on the originals and post the shutter speed? It is no use describing the shape of it on an image with blur and shake as any light source is going to be distorted.

and how would I go about finding
that EXIF data?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Go back out tomorrow morning at 5:00. If it's there again in the same place, then it's Venus.

lol, can it wait til 5:00 fri or sat?
I was hoping to sleep in on Thanksgiving

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

It should be visible on your computer via whatever photo viewer you are using?

www.basic-digital-photography.com...

TJ

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You can wait, Venus will still be around. I'd enjoy the sleep in.
And as a note Venus is seen as a crescent shape at the moment and not a full disk, kind of like when the Moon goes through it's phases. You can't tell with the naked eye but it could explain the slightly off shape as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

It looks like your classic UFO,you might try to see if it comes back in the following nights,from what I hear they don't just show up once.If indeed it is a ufo it seems they came to your area for a specific reason.Ya never know.........that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

This website will give you EXIF data on either an uploaded image or a URL image:

regex.info...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Good for you for sticking with it and getting pics, but most of all for posting them! No expert here but I rule out planet or star. Also rule out lantern or bug zapper. It remains to be a UFO until someone convinces me othewise. S @ F

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
How long was this light in the sky? What happened to it after the photos were taken? Did it fly off, vanish or what?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Ok, I don't see the point in starting a whole thread in introductions based on one question I want to ask, when it has sort of got something to do with your thread. You want to identify an object, and so do I.

I can't help on your question though, the objects seems odd to me and I honestly think that you should get up at 5 AM on FRI or SAT and see if it's there, that would then rule whether or not it is Venus, that seems to be the only viable solution to this. Which brings me to my question. How do I know where Venus is? Or the ISS for that matter? I tried doing a search, but I don't know what I'm looking for, I'm afraid I don't know much about astronomy, I would like to, but I don't. So I open up search pages, and all of them basically handle it like I know more or less what I am looking for, when I don't.

I'll tell you why, there's a light in our sky, it's really big for a star, and I only started to notice it a couple of months ago. The thing is, I don't think it's anything abnormal, because it's in the same place every night at the same time, and it has been for months. It does rotate slowly (seems slower than the other stars) but I was taught in the basics that just like the moon and other stars, it's not always in the same place, it changes slightly, as the earth's axis changes with the seasons or like the moon cycles. We're talking just about the basics they teach you at school, and I didn't pay much attention to that. But this light is in the same place every night at the same time for at least 6 months now. And it's really bright. The fact that it's always in the same place tells me this is nothing abnormal, why I never noticed it before I don't know. It's just odd that it's in the same place for so long. So I was wondering if somebody could just send me a link to somewhere where I can see what's above our skies, and understand what I'm looking at? You know, for the beginner person

I was wondering if it could be the ISS, but I don't know what it would look like, or how bright it would be. I've heard some people say that they can recognize what a satellite looks like... how? What's the difference between it and a normal star? They say they can tell the difference, but they don't let the newbie know what the difference is from the naked eye point of view.

So all I want to know is could somebody please just point me in the right direction? I don't mind doing my own homework and research and learning for myself, but I'm lost here with a web full of info that I don't understand.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fenix777

First, to boondock-saint-yes it might be Venus, did you find your EXIF data and specifically shutter speed? Probably a slow shutter speed will explain the shape not looking like Venus.

To Fenix777 and perhaps to boondock-saint also, the best thing is to download the free program Stellarium, www.stellarium.org... You can use it to find all kinds of naturally occurring objects in the sky, like Venus, or even man-made objects like satellites.

edit on 24-11-2010 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

You mean not one of the resident experts has come along and solved this mystery? No swamp gas or balloons to believe in? I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya'!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
You mean not one of the resident experts has come along and solved this mystery? No swamp gas or balloons to believe in? I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya'!
Well I did check it against the unofficial USAF identification chart but didn't see any matches:

edit on 24-11-2010 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Boondock...

That light it definetly Venus. I saw it myself, I am on the east Coast as well and it took me by surprise.
I went out at about the same time as you this morning and there is was lighting up my backyard almost as bright as the moon had all night. I checked on Stellarium and it matched identical. As to why it looks so much bigger right now I have no idea. I know that Jupiter was in very close proximity to it when I checked on Stellarium, but I dont know if they made transit over each other, perhaps that would account for the odd shape.

Or perhaps we are just used to very fine little dots in our sky so our eyes are not used to something so big and bright, other than the moon.

But Venus 100%

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
That light it definetly Venus. ...As to why it looks so much bigger right now I have no idea.
I might be able to explain why it looks big on the camera. The human eye isn't a great imager so let's disregard that.

The Canon SX-120 uses a 10 megapixel CCD, which is known to bloom or enlarge bright lights. The reason for this is adjacent pixels where there is no light hitting the sensor will register and record light so the object appears larger than it actually is. (of course the slow shutter speed will make the problem even worse and give Venus an odd shape as we see).

In contrast, a CMOS imager is more bloom resistant, as described here:

CMOS Versus CCD & What's It All Mean?

CCDs also suffer from blooming (where charge "leaks" from one light receptor into surrounding ones)...

Blooming and smearing are also less of a problem with CMOS sensors.
So next time you get a camera, if you want to take pictures of lights in the sky and avoid the blooming effect, get a camera with a CMOS or bloom-resistant imager.

edit on 24-11-2010 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Boon, I gotta admit, at first I thought, "oh great, another light in a close tree UFO hoax." Then you showed the light from not behind trees and it made me feel a little better..

As for what the object is..?? You described it as it going behind the tree, was it moving? Someone said Venus, and you sort of almost wanted to agree, and left open that option... How long did you observe it?

side note.. maybe its a plane? seems to be the answer these days?

Though I would need to know more..

Good luck

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join