It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! Has A Mini Ice Age Just Begun? The Jet Stream Has Gone Haywire!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Europe ice cold during a winter? Unheard of!

Seriously, in Norway at least we're seeing a return of the 1980's styled winter. Where it's bloody cold. I remember more then once as a child having to go out to play through the second story window because of the snow pile up.

So instead of a "new mini ice age" I see, "crap getting back to normal".

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

I go in fits & spurts with ATS these days. Sometimes I get sick of how quickly threads degenerate and then avoid posting.

With the Ice Core data it's hard to deny the patterns. What causes those patterns is up for debate, definitely not Man-made unless you are one of the few that believe mankind is much older than we're led to believe and that we've obtained high technology before only to lose it all in major Earth cataclysms.

I personally believe that the cycles are caused by our relative position to the galactic plane as the disk of gravity and electromagnetism that emanate from the blackhole at the center of our universe trap a lot of dust and gas and this affects the amount of external cosmic radiation that the Earth is hit with. At the bottom of our SINE wave pattern of travel we are exposed to more external cosmic radiation. To me this is the only thing that makes sense to explain these cycles.

Our snow storm is over now and has warmed up significantly. We got a total of about 10 cm today and about 26 cm total for the month of November. 3rd largest monthly total since we started to keep records. The highest being 2006.

Like I said in my other post. I believe man-made global warming has only delayed the onset of the next Ice Age.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well, if I was living in Europe five thousand years ago, I likely would have ended up in Egypt with the rest of the people who could not stand the cold. In fact, every year hundreds of thousands of people migrate to warmer climates for as long as their money lasts, during the cold snap where they live.

Not being a member of the SOTT group does not mean that I do not agree with the reports there. They seem to make the most sense about what is going on. True, it is human nature to embellish their point of view enhancing their arguments, but the issues in the articles are very valid points. People should not be hasty in overlooking these points.

The cyclical cometary impact theory Earth undergoes every several thousand years, is valid.

It makes a lot more sense than the Gods are at war.

People need to figure out who started the lies and what was their motivation. How? Follow the money/power/world domination trail. On this road, people mean nothing. The Roman Catholic Church is a major abuser of power, money and people, just to name one. Who cares what you believe, as long as my horde is in tack. The sad part is that this horde can't be taken when you die. Why not help people who have nothing rather than watching from a balcony? How can this make you immune?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

And you know what happens when teh gulf stream gets angry,disasters of every kind everywhere.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I found This Interesting...especially the part that mentions an "epochal cold spell".

This is like turning the eastern Atlantic into the Great Lakes, almost, when you have this much cold air rushing south this fast, it overcomes the normal tendencies of the Atlantic to modify air masses and turn streamers to mush. This setup could give blizzard like conditions even with winds somewhat west of due north, in many parts of Ireland. And we aren't that confident that the setup is perfectly modelled yet, what's probably equally likely at this point is that the polar low will drop into the North Sea and pull Siberian air across into the N-NE flow on following days. There is also a lot of super-cold air waiting to head west from central to northwest Russia and around Novaya Zemlya.

When this polar hurricane develops, winds are going to be 50-70 knots around Jan Mayen (volcanic island 1000 km west of Norway, 600 km north of Iceland) with temperatures of -12 C ... the ice margin will probably shift south in this period to reach limits not seen in recent years, and the Baltic Sea is rapidly freezing and spilling out 0-2 C water into the North Sea.

All of these factors are building blocks towards what may become an epochal cold spell for Ireland and Britain in the next 20-30 day interval.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge on this subject, im very intrigued. So if worse case happens and there is an unexpected Ice Age, what areas are going to be effected? Here in Michigan i've been noticing more than just upcoming winter weather, it all just seems so odd! So where do I need to go if a sudden Ice Age hits us?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge on this subject, im very intrigued. So if worse case happens and there is an unexpected Ice Age, what areas are going to be effected? Here in Michigan i've been noticing more than just upcoming winter weather, it all just seems so odd! So where do I need to go if a sudden Ice Age hits us?

Not sure if it's time to pack up and head South just yet, further investigation of this subject is definitely warranted however. On that note, I found another article today that was somewhat alarming...I will post the link in my next reply.

To answer your question....from what I understand if the current evidence holds merit, everything north of Nevada will pretty much be covered with ice...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Source

11 Dec 10 - "Death rates are set to soar “scandalously” this winter as a new Arctic blast batters Britain with temperatures on a par with Siberia," says this article by Sarah Wescott.

Forecasters said temperatures could plummet to record lows in the next two weeks.

It could be the bitterest winter in a century, putting tens of thousands of vulnerable people at risk and leading to 12 deaths per hour.

"Millions of Britons are being forced to turn down their thermostats as gas and electricity prices spiral.

"Studies show a drop in temperature of just one degree is followed by 200 heart attacks. People aged between 75 and 84 and those with a history of heart disease appear to be most vulnerable.

"Jonathan Powell, senior forecaster with Positive Weather Solutions, said plummeting temperatures could even surpass the -27.2C (-17F) recorded in Braemar in 1982 – the coldest temperature in Britain.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by binomialtheorem

And I'm here in Tampa, FL and it's literally 29 degrees as I post this. I was born and raised here and I can tell you thirty + years later this is very abnormal. In fact, last week we broke the coldest temperature record for 12/6 at 29 degrees, which had previously been held at 34 degrees in 1859.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
hey everyone,
I did'nt read every page of this thread, jus breezed through, but yea this weather has been weird. I live in Philly and all throughout this past summer we were in a heat wave, mid 90's and up all summer long then basically went right into winter. We literally had no fall season it seems. I actually got sick for a couple days because of the quick temperature drop, went from 90's to mid 30's in just a few days span.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
hi, there was new info out on this today a good article in the daily mail i think it was from UK...anyways i posted on my Abrupt Climate Change site on Yahoo Groups. You can join if you have a true interest in discussing this rationally. Here is a link to the site:

tech.groups.yahoo.com...

I posted new pics off the DEOS site for each of last 4 weeks check the photos. Also have the nice pic that the one paper posted showing how the jet streams have shifted and what it is doing. Think polar air moving much farther south into most of America and Europe as well. And this could be just the beginning. If the Gulf Stream has truly shut down and continues to not work, the heat transfer to the upper east coast of US and Europe will also continue to NOT happen.

That means the climate will become much more like Siberia's or Labrador's than it is now. We could be in the beginnings of a new mini ice age, maybe even a new period of glaciation like Younger Dryas. I have info on all on the site, pictures (in photo section), links to various articles, posts on several related subjects. So feel free to join me and let us puzzle out what is going on and what it means to us. There are people saying it is the time to start preparing for survival under rough conditions; that the infrastructure of civilization will be the first thing to go in an Abrupt Climate Change.

I do not know, but i do have some climate models that show most of world will dry and cool. that means crop failures mostly worldwide with accompanying famine and then the other 4 horsemen loosed upon us. Could global warming offset a change brought on by the shutdown of a major part of the Great Ocean Conveyor system? Btw, what happens to all the heat that would normally go to Europe? If this kind of stuff interests you come join us...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cvaughn919
hi, there was new info out on this today a good article in the daily mail i think it was from UK...anyways i posted on my Abrupt Climate Change site on Yahoo Groups. You can join if you have a true interest in discussing this rationally. Here is a link to the site:

tech.groups.yahoo.com...

I posted new pics off the DEOS site for each of last 4 weeks check the photos. Also have the nice pic that the one paper posted showing how the jet streams have shifted and what it is doing. Think polar air moving much farther south into most of America and Europe as well. And this could be just the beginning. If the Gulf Stream has truly shut down and continues to not work, the heat transfer to the upper east coast of US and Europe will also continue to NOT happen.

That means the climate will become much more like Siberia's or Labrador's than it is now. We could be in the beginnings of a new mini ice age, maybe even a new period of glaciation like Younger Dryas. I have info on all on the site, pictures (in photo section), links to various articles, posts on several related subjects. So feel free to join me and let us puzzle out what is going on and what it means to us. There are people saying it is the time to start preparing for survival under rough conditions; that the infrastructure of civilization will be the first thing to go in an Abrupt Climate Change.

I do not know, but i do have some climate models that show most of world will dry and cool. that means crop failures mostly worldwide with accompanying famine and then the other 4 horsemen loosed upon us. Could global warming offset a change brought on by the shutdown of a major part of the Great Ocean Conveyor system? Btw, what happens to all the heat that would normally go to Europe? If this kind of stuff interests you come join us...

Great find, thank you for the addition! Everyday new articles are popping up supporting this theory.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Good evening ATS.

The main reason why the northern hemisphere have been getting particularly cold weather is because lower-troposphere (the lowest part of the earths atmosphere) heating over the Eastern Arctic caused by the sea ice reduction is resulting in a strong anticyclonic (circulation of wind around the central region of high atmospheric pressure) anomaly over the Polar Ocean and anomalous easterly advection over northern continents. This causes a continental-scale winter cooling with more than 3 times increased probability of cold winter extremes over large areas including Europe.

Kind regards
Eric.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Hearing of this "mini ice age" brings to mind something that Alex Jones was talking about 2 years ago...when the whole 'bailout/collapse' was going on. He was mentioning about a severly cold winter, that would be the final nail in America's financial couffin (para-phrasing). I cant remember his exact words...but he was screaming and yelling about getting prepared for this catastrophic upcoming winter. This was back in '08, i believe, and now, 2 years later, we have this terrible start to winter???

For me, it doesn't matter what is causing this change in weather....but, i will say this....it's getting worse every year.

I bought a pool for my daughters 5 years ago, the kind that you could take down during winter, because it was soooo hot here, in southern cali...that we needed it. Well, for the past 2 years....i haven't needed to put it up...because there hasn't been ANY kind of summer, what-so-ever! Sure, we've had a week's worth of blistering heat, here and there, but that's about it. It certainly hasn't been hot enough to put the pool up, that's for sure.

And, for those of you that say the weather is normal, over there in the UK.....well, that's not what the charts say. The average temp for London, this time of year....is 37 degrees +/- and for the past week or so, it's been well below that. As a matter of fact, it was 1 degree on Christmas eve. So, how do you explain that?

Question: did any of you see the lighthouse that turned to ice? Did that LOOK "normal"? Yeah, well...that was in Ohio...Lake Eerie....and it certainly looked like something out of a hollywood movie. (Sidenote: "hollywood"....is the name for a magician's stick).
Anyhoot.

Also, i'm doing the roof on my house....and i needed to check the weather report...for the next few days...to see if it would be raining for the next week....and the forecast said, sunny...0 chance of showers....70+ degrees...for the next 10 days....and sure enough....that night....it started raining. And, 2 days before that....we had that HUGE rainstorm..that lasted 3 friggin' days. Hence, the reason to change my roofing.

Here's what i want EACH and EVERYONE of you to start thinking about.....WHAT IF the temps stay below freezing...for the entire winter. Now, keep in mind that the freezing point is ONLY 32 degrees. And what IF it snows ON and OFF during that entire 3 months...never reaching above the melting point? What happens to the food supply that's delivered to the supermarkets? How will it get there, if EVERYTHING is FROZEN? Do you have AT LEAST 3 months of food stashed away?

What's causing this craziness is NOT important! What IS important is that you have your food stored up. If you don't....you should get busy NOW......JUST IN CASE!!! Even IF nothing bad happens....AT LEAST you're PREPARED!!! Oh, and don't forget the batteries and candles! And keep your phone charged...at all times. Emergency services are ALWAYS available on ANY cellphone....new or old...for free!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The Jet Stream, Gulf Stream, and Sea Ice, all working together seem to effect wether we have ice ages or not and how long they last. Right now it actually appears we're in the warming phase where the ice caps melt, sea levels rise. We still have 5 to 10 years maybe before the Arctic and Antarctic completely lose their ice caps and we could stay in this warming stage for 1000's of years before conditions are right and we began the big cool down.

In this video scientists explain the science behind studying ice core samples taken from the ice caps and how it can show us what our climate was like in the past.

Who knows for sure, though. Some scientists think we're due for a new ice age sometime within the next 40 years. If you look at the charts it looks like we're in for a warm climate and continued rising sea levels for the next 10 to 20 years.

Arctic Sea Ice and Greenland Ice Sheet

Arctic sea ice has been declining in recent decades as shown in the following graphs:

Here is the Earth if the ice caps completely melted and the sea level rose the estimated 217ft.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/047b653d0b77.jpg[/atsimg]
Some areas are affected more than others. Some larger areas now underwater are the southeastern United States, part of the Amazon River basin, northern Europe, Bangladesh, parts of Siberia along the Arctic Ocean, and portions of mainland China.

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. Although we can check the ice core samples and see what's happened 10s of thousands of years in our past, we're still just learning about climate change and the science behind it. I think fairly soon we'll be better able to predict when the next ice age is coming... just like a weather forecast. Then we can prepare.

edit on 7/29/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
interesting image, thank you for posting it. It makes me wonder if the effects of gravity and isostatic movement of the earth in the north and south has been included. Scandinavia and Canada are rising, and I suppose Antarctica would do the same thing with all ice gone.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstroBuzz
The Jet Stream, Gulf Stream, and Sea Ice, all working together seem to effect wether we have ice ages or not and how long they last. Right now it actually appears we're in the warming phase where the ice caps melt, sea levels rise. We still have 5 to 10 years maybe before the Arctic and Antarctic completely lose their ice caps and we could stay in this warming stage for 1000's of years before conditions are right and we began the big cool down.

In this video scientists explain the science behind studying ice core samples taken from the ice caps and how it can show us what our climate was like in the past.

Who knows for sure, though. Some scientists think we're due for a new ice age sometime within the next 40 years. If you look at the charts it looks like we're in for a warm climate and continued rising sea levels for the next 10 to 20 years.

Arctic Sea Ice and Greenland Ice Sheet

Arctic sea ice has been declining in recent decades as shown in the following graphs:

Here is the Earth if the ice caps completely melted and the sea level rose the estimated 217ft.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/047b653d0b77.jpg[/atsimg]
Some areas are affected more than others. Some larger areas now underwater are the southeastern United States, part of the Amazon River basin, northern Europe, Bangladesh, parts of Siberia along the Arctic Ocean, and portions of mainland China.

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. Although we can check the ice core samples and see what's happened 10s of thousands of years in our past, we're still just learning about climate change and the science behind it. I think fairly soon we'll be better able to predict when the next ice age is coming... just like a weather forecast. Then we can prepare.

edit on 7/29/11 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

Except that at the current rate, it will take Antarctica 300,000 years to melt. And even then, the whole continent won't melt. We'lll be in an Ice Age, and there will always be an ice cap there, for as long as Antarctica sits over the South Pole.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
so, Are we or aren't we going into an Ice Age?

I was looking forward to a nice big freeze and enjoying natures beauty.

Where exactly do we stand today?

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join