It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 books that change one's way of thinking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This thread is for members to post 5 books that have had a cerebral impact on the reader..I'll begin

1.The Screw-Tape Letters, C.S.Lewis
2.Book of Five Rings, Miyamuto Musashi
3.Republic, Plato
4.Notes from the Underground, Dostoyevski
5.The Decameron, Boccaccio

edit on 24-11-2010 by ATLien because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
1. Tao Te-Ching by Laozi
2. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
3. Our Town by Thornton Wilder
4. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
5. The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
1. Raymond Kurzweil - Age of the spiritual machine

The Age of Spiritual Machines is a book by futurist Ray Kurzweil about the future course of humanity, particularly relating to the development of artificial intelligence and its impact on human consciousness. It is also a study on the concept of technological singularity.

2. Helena Blavatsky - The secret doctrine

The Secret Doctrine, the Synthesis of Science, Religion and Philosophy, a book originally published as two volumes in 1888, is Helena P. Blavatsky's magnum opus. The first volume is named Cosmogenesis, the second Anthropogenesis. It was an influential example of the revival of interest in esoteric and occult ideas in the modern age, in particular because of its claim to reconcile ancient eastern wisdom with modern science.

3. Manly Palmer Hall - The secret teachings of all ages

In this book Manly P. Hall has successfully distilled the essence of more arcane subjects than one would think possible. He covers Rosicrucianism and other secret societies, alchemy, cryptology, Kabbalah, Tarot, pyramids, the Zodiac, Pythagorean philosophy, Masonry, gemology, Nicholas Flammel, the identity of William Shakespeare, The Life and Teachings of Thoth Hermes Trismegistus, The Qabbalah, The Hiramic Legend, The Tree of the Sephiroth, Mystic Christianity, and there are more than 200 illustrations included here. This is essential reading for anyone wishing to explore esoteric knowledge.

4. Timothy Leary - Chaos and cyber culture

The great visionary and psychedelic guru of the 1960s is back. Leary's "cyberpunk manifesto" explores the relationship between the eternal philosophy of chaos and the future of cutting-edge technology. Here, he focuses his attention less on psychedelic excursions and more on "cyberdelic" trips into the uncharted reaches of "Cyberia," extolling the PC as the '___' of the 1990s.

5. Mahabharata

The Mahabharata (Sanskrit Mahābhārata महाभारत, IPA: [məɦɑːˈbʱɑːrətə]) is one of the two major Sanskrit epics of ancient India

Yep, a few of many that had a great influence on my personality and mindset.
edit on 24-11-2010 by Clairaudience because: Included small desciptions

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
1) The Gods of Eden by William Bramley
2) The Rise of the Fourth Reich by Jim Marrs
3) The Lucifer Principle by Howard Bloom (Has nothing to do with Satanism/stupid name)
4) Tales From The Time Loop by David Icke
5) The Secret History of the World and How To Get Out Alive by Laura Knight Jadczyk

And the top #1 book, The Art of War by Sun Tzu

edit on 24-11-2010 by ofhumandescent because: added author name

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Great, I've never heard of those books and that's what I like..I love books, I can't wait until this thread grows, my list of books to read will be never-ending.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

Good post! I agree, always looking for another good book.

ATS should have a book review section, what do you think?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by ATLien

That's the best "Site Suggestion" I've heard thus far..It also might help bring a new demographic of visitors to the site...Not saying that people on the site don't read books, but people looking for reviews on books might just end up here on ATS and like what they see..

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
1. End game - Derrick Jensen.
2. Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris.
3. God is not great - Christopher Hitchens.
4. 1984 - Orwell
5. The Gulag Archipelago - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATLien

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by ATLien

That's the best "Site Suggestion" I've heard thus far..It also might help bring a new demographic of visitors to the site...Not saying that people on the site don't read books, but people looking for reviews on books might just end up here on ATS and like what they see..

Indeed, plus many ATS members are authors themselves, would love to get glimpse on what they have to offer.
Great idea, make sure it spreads!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Off the top of my head...

The Road Less Traveled - M. Scott Peck
Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman
Awareness - Anthony De Mello
Your Sacred Self - Wayne Dyer

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Robert Anton Wilson - Prometheus Rising
Terence McKenna - Food of the Gods
Graham Hancock - Message of the Sphynx
Jack Kerouac - Dharma Bums
I have to mention Gordon Michael Scallion, one of his books was the catalyst for my descent down the rabbit hole, so many years ago... don't be ashamed of your past I guess!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Wow, the only book I've heard of so far is 1984, should be some interesting reads..As for the Book review section, good idea though it may be, I've got a hunch it's about as likely the site's lay-out going back to the way it was.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Walden - Henry David Thoreau
Ethics For A New Millenium - the Dalai Lama
Human Action - Ludwig von Mises
Critique Of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant
The Invisible Landscape - Terence McKenna

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
1. Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson - G.I. Gurdjieff
2. The Sleepwalkers - Arthur Koestler
3. The New Testament
4. Thus Spake Zarathustra - Nietsche
5. In Search of the Miraculous - P.D. Ouspensky

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

The "Vision of the Anointed" by Thomas Sowell. You will understand why the elite are so out of touch with our people and country after reading this excellent book. He is my favorite non-fiction writer.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
1. 'Be Here Now' - Ram Dass
2. 'Initiation' - Elisabeth Haich
3. 'Dune' - Frank Herbert
4. 'Glory Road' - Robert Heinlein
5. 'Illusions: The Adventures of A Reluctant Messiah' - Richard Bach

1. Definitely a necessary reference for those seeking oneness through self-discipline awareness and discovery
2. Very validating for anyone who has experienced "memories" of past lives and/or feels that our current way of life is missing something or that there's more to life.
3. Provides the reader with the idea of large scale manipulation tactics by the elite and how to counteract them
4. A fun and satisfying sci-fi/fantasy hero story covering many genres and worlds. Relates strategy, courage and motivation to the aspiring hero
5. A quick but powerful read that shook up the messiah/hero in me, quickly dispelling the self made excuses on why not to live up to my own potential.

There should DEFINITELY be a book review section, I think that would very quickly turn into the most used section on this site. So count this as a vote mods!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

In no particular order-

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
The 9th Configuration - William Peter Blatty
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ledbedder20

There should DEFINITELY be a book review section, I think that would very quickly turn into the most used section on this site. So count this as a vote mods!

I couldn't agree more. An ATS Book Club? Oprah's got nothing on us.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
1) The Life Divine (pdf)
2) The Synthesis of Yoga (pdf)
3) Savitri - A Legend and a Symbol (pdf)
4) Essays on the Gita (pdf)
5) Brave New World (by Aldous Huxley)

edit on 24-11-2010 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Lest we forget, there is in fact a Literature forum. Please feel free to post reviews, start discussions, etc as you see fit. A lot of times we have book threads such as this in topical forums (which is appropriate, and good) but the Literature Forum is a great place for perusing others' thoughts and sharing your own about all genres of lit.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join