It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My own experiences of feeling a Presence - Explanations or Ideas gratefully received!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hi Folks,
I've been on ATS for a while now, and may have mentioned these experiences in passing, but thought that I would share them now with the wider community, for some feedback.
I originally posted these on theshadowlands.net website, before joining ATS, but didn't get any useful feedback there.

I've had several experiences over the years, that I can't readily explain. There are all the usual, hairs standing up, cold breezes, feelings of being watched etc. but two specific incidents stand out as being something more.

The first of these happened to me as I lay alone in bed, at our holiday flat, in a small seaside resort, on an Island just off the west coast of Scotland, about 8 or 10 years ago.

The flat itself, is a small one-bedroom property, on the ground floor, and was formerly used as a shop in years gone by. It has a pleasant feel, and people often remark how comfortable and "homely" it feels. I haven't experienced any incidents prior to the one I'm relating here, with the small exception of sometimes catching a movement, out of the corner of my eye, near the front porch area. I always dismissed this as someone passing the front door, until one night my wife looked up at exactly the same time and said "Did you see that?" We both thought that the figure of a woman had gone from left to right across the inside of our small porch. I immediately jumped up and looked up and down the street outside, and you can see for several hundred yards in each direction, but there was nothing there.

Anyway, on the night of the first incident that I am going to relate, I had locked up, gone to bed, and fallen asleep, only to wake up with a start, sometime in the early morning around 4am. All of my senses were screaming at me that something was very wrong, and at first I thought that someone had broken into the flat or something. It was then that I tried to get up, to investigate what was wrong, and realised that I was completely and totally paralysed. I had managed to open my eyes when I woke up, but now could not even move them. It was then that I felt a horrible, huge, powerful and threatening presence, which I perceived to be in the hallway, just outside my closed bedroom door. I can only describe it as being like a large angry bull, bear or something, pacing the hallway, breathing heavily. I lay completely motionless, still paralysed, staring at the ceiling, when I suddenly realised that the presence was moving. It had managed to get through the (still closed) door into the bedroom, and was gliding, floating, silently across the foot of my bed. The presence felt very evil and powerful, and I have to admit, that by this point I was absolutely terrified, and by the way, I am 6'3" tall, reasonably intelligent, logical thinking, and definitely not easily scared!
The presence continued to move, silently across the room, to a point where the bedroom window is, and, as it made its' way through the area where the closed window is, the feeling of dread and fear lifted, and within seconds, the paralysis completely stopped, and I was able to look across to the window and doorway. Both were still closed, and there was no sign of any disturbance.
It may or may not be significant that the bedroom window overlooks the entrance path which leads to an old church?

The second incident happened about 3 years ago. Our 1st son was about 2 years old then, and it was quite a nice day in the quiet village where I live, in west central Scotland, so I had decided to take him out in his 3-wheeler pram for a walk. Shortly after leaving the house, I felt like we were being watched, or possibly even followed. There were the rustle of leaves in the hedgerow or small stones rattling softly on the road behind us, even though there was no breeze.
I felt the hairs rise on the back of my neck, and several times, I whirled round quickly, to try and catch sight of whatever was there, but never did see anything. It was then that I decided I didn't want to go any further away from the centre of the village, out into the country, so I doubled back and headed for the local play-park, so my son could play on the swings etc.
You'd think that the cheerful surroundings of a children's play park would have relieved the feelings, but it actually got worse. This continued for about 5 minutes, until I felt drawn, or compelled to look across the field which borders the back of the park. There, about 100 yards away stands a line of trees, at the lower end of the field, this is met at right angles, by a second row of trees heading away into the distance, in a second field. My eyes suddenly focused on the tree which stands nearest the junction of the two rows of trees. This tree was shaking back and forth, rhythmically, and forcefully, as if being physically shaken. The trees on either side, as well as the row of trees heading away at right angles did not move at all. It was very still, and there wasn't even the slightest breeze, but this one tree was shaking very much, and all of the others nearby were completely motionless.

This was pretty scary, but I was determined to find out what was causing it, so I left the park, and headed down the road (in the opposite direction from which I'd already come) which would take me to a point directly at the end of the row of trees, so that I could look down the row, to see if anything could be causing the tree to move.
I felt the same "following" presence all the way down the road, to the end of the line of trees, and even heard twigs snap behind us on at least three occasions, but every time I turned round, nothing was there. There was nothing to see, along the line of trees, and by the time I got there, the one moving tree had stopped. I continued walking a little further, to see if anything else would happen, but a couple of minutes later, the feeling of being followed suddenly stopped. The presence left, and everything immediately felt fine. I went back over our route, and found nothing out of order.
I've never seen anything else like this since, and I still can't explain it. There was no wind to move the tree, and even if it was a freak gust or something, it lasted for several minutes, and didn't affect any of the surrounding trees.
If anyone has any ideas or explanations, I'd be very grateful.

(btw - I know about sleep paralysis, when your mind "wakes up" before your body etc but the 1st incident here did not feel like that, it felt exactly the same as when I was startled awake once as a youngster, senses ringing... I KNEW something was wrong... I was in danger but hadn't a clue what it was... until I saw something move on the top of my bed... It was a huge Bee! crawling up towards my face!
Well, the 1st incident here, when I was startled awake by something, felt exactly like that at first. Don't know if that helps any?)

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Gordi

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Wow straight out ofa horror film lol. I have had this feeling as well when I woke up about 4 times. I woke up couldn't move and my mouth was vibrating really fast in an O shape and I was more scared than I had ever been in my life. Everytime that this has happened I lived in an old apartment that just gave a bad feeling all of the time. I even heard a loud sound at 3:30 a.m. that sounded like a billion ice cubes hitting metal. I actually jumped out ofbed and ran outside. This evil presence your talking about is very frightening. I do not believe in the super natural, but try to keep an open mind. Although even if you don't believe you are still vulnerable to the things that may bump in the night.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I had a very similar experience once when I was younger. I was asleep in my bed when for absolutely no reason I woke up. Something wasn't right, I tried to move but couldn't. It was in that moment of confusion that I heard that exact same heavy breathing. I mean it was HEAVY breathing. Evil is the only way to describe it. I then felt the foot of my bed depress as if somebody or something was on my bed. It slowly moved up the bed towards me, pushing down the mattress as it moved. It then stopped when it reached my chest and I could feel what I could only describe as somebody sitting on my chest. The breathing noise it made was right up in my face and very very loud. I have never been so scared in my life! I too am a big guy (6'2 230lbs) and I do not frighten easily. Whatever it was just dissipated and I eventually regained control of my body. Not knowing what to do I just pulled the covers over my head and tried my best to block it out and just get back to sleep. I had never been through anything like this before or since. I still think about it from time to time and get the chills when I do.

Over the years I have convinced myself that it was simply just a case of Sleep Paralysis. But after reading your first story I wonder how Sleep Paralysis could explain the EXACT same experience with the EXACT feeling of something EVIL?

Anywho.....thanks for describing your experience. You definitely are not alone, as I feel a little better knowing many other people have experienced this too.
edit on 11/24/2010 by CastleMadeOfSand because: grammar.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Thanks Castle, I appreciate your taking time to comment, and it is good to know that I'm not the only one!
(I do understand about sleep paralysis, but - like you, this felt very different to that. It was definitely BIG and absolutely EVIL. The feeling of dread was just unbearable, and I was fully aware of where it was, I could sense it moving, hear it breathing and stomping about, then the chill when I realised that it was IN my room, through a shut door... ugh! I still get goosebumps thinking about it!)

G

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

I've often pondered exactly what or who it was. There was never any communication between "it" and I. It felt like it was just observing me. In all I think it only lasted about 2-3 minutes, all the while my eyes were wide open and I did not see anything. It happened in the morning with the sun lighting up my room. My door was also closed and locked. My parents were at work and my sisters were still asleep. Maybe it was a demon trying to possess me???Who knows! If I didn't have such a positive upbringing I really think It could have done some serious harm to me. I did however find out later in life that one of my family members was a really really bad person. He did terrible things to members of my family and maybe, just maybe that was him passing through trying to bring me down with him.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

... There was never any communication between "it" and I. It felt like it was just observing me. In all I think it only lasted about 2-3 minutes, all the while my eyes were wide open and I did not see anything. .... My door was also closed and locked....
...I did however find out later in life that one of my family members was a really really bad person. He did terrible things to members of my family and maybe, just maybe that was him passing through trying to bring me down with him.

Hi Castle,
The parallels between our experiences are quite startling...
Hearing the heavy, menacing breathing.
I too had no actual direct communication with "it".
Like yours, the whole thing was over in 2-3 minutes.
My eyes were also open (but unable to move from staring at a single point on the ceiling) and yet I didn't actually see anything.
My door (and window) was closed and remained so throughout.

I'm not aware of any dark secrets in my family, or indeed any associated with the holiday flat where the 1st experience happened, but I can totally understand how your own experience could be linked to the bad family member.

I have no idea if the 2nd incident I mentioned is related in any way to the first. The 2nd one happened in the village where my main home is, about an hours drive from where the ferry leaves for the holiday island of location 1. I hope that someone with a deeper knowledge of these things pops in to shed some light for us!

Thanks again,
Gordi

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Gordi The Drummer

... This continued for about 5 minutes, until I felt drawn, or compelled to look across the field which borders the back of the park. There, about 100 yards away stands a line of trees, at the lower end of the field, this is met at right angles, by a second row of trees heading away into the distance, in a second field. My eyes suddenly focused on the tree which stands nearest the junction of the two rows of trees. This tree was shaking back and forth, rhythmically, and forcefully, as if being physically shaken. The trees on either side, as well as the row of trees heading away at right angles did not move at all. It was very still, and there wasn't even the slightest breeze, but this one tree was shaking very much, and all of the others nearby were completely motionless.

This was pretty scary, but I was determined to find out what was causing it, so I left the park, and headed down the road (in the opposite direction from which I'd already come) which would take me to a point directly at the end of the row of trees, so that I could look down the row, to see if anything could be causing the tree to move.
I felt the same "following" presence all the way down the road, to the end of the line of trees, and even heard twigs snap behind us on at least three occasions, but every time I turned round, nothing was there. There was nothing to see, along the line of trees, and by the time I got there, the one moving tree had stopped. I continued walking a little further, to see if anything else would happen, but a couple of minutes later, the feeling of being followed suddenly stopped. The presence left, and everything immediately felt fine. I went back over our route, and found nothing out of order.
I've never seen anything else like this since, and I still can't explain it. There was no wind to move the tree, and even if it was a freak gust or something, it lasted for several minutes, and didn't affect any of the surrounding trees.

I have a slightly strange update to add to the quoted part of the OP.
The tree in question - the one which drew my attention and shook back & forth without any wind etc- seems to have died. All of the other trees in the area seem fine, but this one tree looks dead to me!
It's the first time I have looked at it in about a year or more... I'll upload photos so you can see what I mean.

Here I've circled the tree for clarity. (sorry the photos aren't better)

I don't really know what to say, other than it seems very odd to me, that the only tree in that area which seems to have died, is the very one which drew my attention with it's strange rhythmic shaking on the day I felt the "prescence" all those years ago.

???

GTD

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Oh boy!

I haven't really shared my experiences before because I've been worried about what people might think but your 1st experience is very similar to mine.

My first experience was when I was younger, maybe 14/15 living with my parents. It was Christmas and they bought me a telescope which I had set up in the garden on Christmas night.
I was so excited to use it and set my sights on the moon.
After about 5 mins or so, without any explanation I felt a growing sense of dread and fear.
I felt truely terrified..
There was nothing to trigger it, no wind rustling the bushes, no noises, no shadows but fear gripped me.
I started to panic as a what I can only describe as a primal need to protect myself.
I ran into the house, screaming, shaking, sweating and grabbed a knife, locked the back door and started to cry.

To this day, that is the only time I have ever truely feared for my life but I can't explain it.

2nd experience was when I was living with my girlfriend about 2 years ago. We were in bed, just had a good time.. *ahem* so we were relaxed, she had fallen asleep.
Then that growing feeling of that "evil" presence. Powerful evil. Frightening. But it was outside the closed door.
After a few minutes it started to "leak" through the gaps in the door, like a black smoke and began to build up in the corner.
I sat up and screamed at it to go away. I couldn't sleep for weeks after and had to keep the light on.

3rd experience I was sat at the computer, can't remember what I was doing, possibly some 3D artwork as I usually do but became aware again of this presence behind me but every time I turned around it went.

So after about 10 minutes of this I got impatient and told it to go away and turned to look behind me, this time I saw the black smokey figure and when I told it to go away it formed a huge face and came screaming and rushing towards me, in an instant it was gone.

I swear by anything you want me to these events are true and happened.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

Hi Mister,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Very scary stuff.

I have to admit that I am "none the wiser" as to what causes these episodes. Many people have different takes on the subject - it seems to depend on your own "system of beliefs". I am not particularly religious, so I don't automatically think demons / angels.
Could be spiritual entities of some sort I suppose?
Inter dimensional beings?
Ghosts??
Imagination?

Here's the thing... the tree I mentioned has died. How? Why?
Could any of the above suggestions kill a tree?

??

GTD

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Wow Man, that is some pretty odd/strange/spooky stuff! Thanx for the share on This Bud!! This time of the year is the best time for this to be seen by everyone!!

Cheers Bro!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

You're very welcome Mike!

G

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer

I have a slightly strange update to add to the quoted part of the OP.
The tree in question - the one which drew my attention and shook back & forth without any wind etc- seems to have died. All of the other trees in the area seem fine, but this one tree looks dead to me!
It's the first time I have looked at it in about a year or more... I'll upload photos so you can see what I mean.

Here I've circled the tree for clarity. (sorry the photos aren't better)

I don't really know what to say, other than it seems very odd to me, that the only tree in that area which seems to have died, is the very one which drew my attention with it's strange rhythmic shaking on the day I felt the "prescence" all those years ago.

???

GTD

Quick Update - That tree DID indeed Die and has since been chopped down.
The gap where it once was, is visible in this sunset photo that I took last night...

CREEPY!
G
edit on 22-11-2016 by Gordi The Drummer because: I wanted to add a photo

new topics

top topics

join