It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students face police in tuition fee protests..(They're at it again)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
protests dont really work, it didnt last week, neither will this one. from what i saw on tv most of them will have names like tarquin and rupert. i lol'd when one mentioned 'revolution'.

You just know that they'd run crying back to mummy and daddy in leafy suburbia at the merest hint of genuine revolution.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You're assuming all these students are middle class, leafy suburbian types. When in actual fact a fair balance of working class students are studying very hard to claw some kind of existence in this country. Myself included.

So keep your obnoxious prejudices aside, and don't forget the working class are NOT afraid of a protest, riot or revolution.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by detachedindividual

If these protesters had a social conscience, then there would be regular protests and demonstrations in London against other government policies that don't directly or indirectly affect them. There aren't.

What? Have you somehow developed some sort of super power were you can detect every student in the UK and then tell the internet where they have and haven't been. Or are you (more realistically) making absurd, uneducated 'opinions' based on fact-less ignorance and stereotypical judgements which have no grounding in reality?

This is why I have no sympathy for them.

Yet i have sympathy for you.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
protests dont really work, it didnt last week, neither will this one. from what i saw on tv most of them will have names like tarquin and rupert. i lol'd when one mentioned 'revolution'.

Well you're making out-dated, uneducated and ill-informed judgements, in which your opinion of students tends to slot into some kind of absurdist, 1970's middle class dynamic.

You are very wrong.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

totally agree i myself am a student from a working class background, and im also classed as a mature student (im 24).
i dont go out partying, i never socalise, im always doing course work.
ive tryed to find a part time job but there are none, with all the full time redundancies i doubt there will be any.

im sick of people assuming all students are middle class yuppies.

its not like the hike in tuition fees are a small rise its up to £6000 and lets face it pretty much all unis are going to adopt this.

also why are the taxpayers giving 7billion to ireland but england a a whole is forced to struggle.
not just students but taxpayers and the unemployed

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
You're assuming all these students are middle class, leafy suburbian types. When in actual fact a fair balance of working class students are studying very hard to claw some kind of existence in this country. Myself included.

So keep your obnoxious prejudices aside, and don't forget the working class are NOT afraid of a protest, riot or revolution.

I would generally be bracketed in the ''middle-class'' category, so any prejudice I may have against this group of people would have to be one formed out of self-loathing !

Middle-class students who come out with the same hackneyed, faux-communist rhetoric and who use political ideology and political buzzwords as a fashion statement, irritate me in the same way that Bono and Bob Geldof do when they preach about helping people in the third world, while living in mansions and owning a fleet of luxury cars.

I have no time at all for hypocrisy and double standards.

I am aware that there are many working-class students, and I understand and appreciate that they often have to study especially hard, due to social and economic disadvantages that they may face.

However, we can't deny that the university population is made up of a disproportionately high percentage of middle-class students.

When was the last riot, protest or revolution that worked in the UK ?

I can only think of the poll tax riots, but the tax got implemented anyway in another guise, so I don't regard those riots as effective at all, and they were a kick in the teeth for democracy.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

What? Have you somehow developed some sort of super power were you can detect every student in the UK and then tell the internet where they have and haven't been. Or are you (more realistically) making absurd, uneducated 'opinions' based on fact-less ignorance and stereotypical judgements which have no grounding in reality?

Give me an example of when thousands of students have protested in London about something that didn't affect them. They haven't.

The students are protesting out of self-interest, and there's also clearly a large portion of them who are ''protesting'' because they enjoy the drama of the occasion, or are ''doing it for the lulz''.

Yet i have sympathy for you.

I don't mean that I have no sympathy for them, full stop. I mean that I have no sympathy for their ''protests''.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Give me an example of when thousands of students have protested in London about something that didn't affect them. They haven't.

Easy i can give you at least TWO from personal experience.

1) - The anti-war protests. In both Manchester and London (on my own meagre expenses) with a group of working class student friends.

2) - The G20 protest (on my own meagre expenses) with a larger group of working class student friends.

By the looks of things a lot of the other people between the ages of say 17-35 were students, and they were in the numbers of thousands. Let's not forget at both protests the protesters were split into numerous camps, organisations and respective groups. For different causes, but ultimately marching under a similar banner.

Please, i'm sorry for judging you, but try and not group us all into one group. We try our best. Even if the Government don't listen.

The students are protesting out of self-interest, and there's also clearly a large portion of them who are ''protesting'' because they enjoy the drama of the occasion, or are ''doing it for the lulz''.

Some definately, but the majority no.

I don't mean that I have no sympathy for them, full stop. I mean that I have no sympathy for their ''protests''.

That's up to you.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
So can this solve the problem ? Will they decrease the tuition fee under this pressure?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
it is clear by now in my opinion that protesting on the streets ends in a negative.
to see if the government are fit for purpose everyone should mass email the government. if all students, anti-war protesters and the like inundated the government machine it seems to me the ministers would take notice.
if this is ignored then there is the option of introducing a public bill to parliament.
just thinking of options other than playing into the hands of all who seek to make fools out of us lowly serfs.
f

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Easy i can give you at least TWO from personal experience.

1) - The anti-war protests. In both Manchester and London (on my own meagre expenses) with a group of working class student friends.

2) - The G20 protest (on my own meagre expenses) with a larger group of working class student friends.

By the looks of things a lot of the other people between the ages of say 17-35 were students, and they were in the numbers of thousands. Let's not forget at both protests the protesters were split into numerous camps, organisations and respective groups. For different causes, but ultimately marching under a similar banner.

The anti-war demonstrations were held 7 years ago, and if memory serves me, were not organised and instigated by students. Yes, there may have been a lot of student groups that were involved, but would have they have done so off their own bat ?

G20 meetings always have a collection of genuine protesters and riff-raff looking for trouble, wherever they are being held. That's not really something out of the ordinary.

The main point being, that mass demonstrations organised by students are hardly particularly prevalent, despite the fact that this government and the last government made a number of unpopular decisions and implemented controversial legislation ( such as the new anti-terrorism laws ).

I don't remember large-scale student protests against any of this, but as soon as you hit them where it hurts ( in their pockets ), then they are on the streets in their thousands.

Please, i'm sorry for judging you, but try and not group us all into one group. We try our best. Even if the Government don't listen.

Generalisations that I make are usually hyperbole.

I know there are many decent students around, but I'm also aware of the large number of whinging dossers who come out with faux-political rhetoric, but are largely concerned with their own interests, while trotting out the same trite, hackneyed bull-# that they have been spoon-fed by previous generations of their kind.

Some definately, but the majority no.

Did you see some of the people on show in today's protests ?

Many of the ones on camera were clearly looking for trouble. There were a number of twats gesticulating and swearing behind the reporters on the news channel, and I also saw some footage of some rent-a-mob rabble attempting to attack another police van again today.

If they are trying to get any public sympathy, then I suggest they are going about it the wrong way.

Talk about counter-productive !

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Lafaso870

Just for interest, i think my thread has some relevance here. Although no one seems to think so as no-one replied to it, im such a saddo!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join