It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students face police in tuition fee protests..(They're at it again)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Lines of police are holding back thousands of student protesters in central London, in a wave of protests against higher tuition fees and university budget cuts.

A police van, marooned in the protest on Whitehall, has been attacked.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
This is getting ugly again, The students are pushing forward and police are trying to push them back,

Im hearing there are groups that are breaking windows,

King Charles street: students pushing lines, The police have them surrounded (kettling)

Less police at this protest but there more prepared,
The situation so far is contained,

One police officer so far injured with a broken arm.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I know mate..the minority are not doing the students any favours.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'm highly suspicious that the van was deliberately left there as an easy target. There are always some who will turn things ugly and safe in that knowledge the police left them an easy target to attack so the media can more easily discredited the protesters. Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
A student live on BBC news is saying the police have used the kettle tactic again and are holding students against their will now.

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Its freezing here in Britain at the moment...bring in one fire engine and hose em down, they'll soon get fed up and go home.

I hear they are spraying words like "revolution" in big letters across the walls of the treasury and buildings like that. I believe in their right to protest, but i also believe London has some of the most amazing old buildings in the world. These supposedly intelligent youngsters should be made to clean everything they wreck.

CX.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Less police at this protest but there more prepared,
The situation so far is contained,

Are you sure? I thought alot more were brought in this time?

Either way, yeah, the police do seem to be handling it well so far although they was in a tough situation before but they're moving alot of them to a different location as we speak.. I think (It's being shown live in sky news).

Hopefully this ends better than the last.

edit on 24-11-2010 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Thats right next to the Cenetaph, i hope nothing happens to that. I'll quite happily jump on a train to London and stand next to the thing if any silly buggers want to try spraying it or wrecking the wreaths.

CX.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
BBC news just got rid of the student who was commenting as soon as he pointed out the biased media coverage of the events. >.< All the news reporter could manage to say was " that's not true" and "we only report what happens we don't make it up". They got rid of the student when he said what they choose to report on has been biased, focusing on a troublesome minority etc.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Pictures being uploaded on Flickr

www.flickr.com...@N02/sets/72157625333774033/

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think the students are well within their rights to protest, it's a shame more people don't stand up for their rights in this country, the government here walk all over us and we just sit back and let them.. Although I don't agree with them damaging buildings and other peoples property..

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
That link isn't working for me, can you repost please?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
I think the students are well within their rights to protest, it's a shame more people don't stand up for their rights in this country, the government here walk all over us and we just sit back and let them.. Although I don't agree with them damaging buildings and other peoples property..

Agreed.

Just a shame a few ruin it for the peacefull protesters. I mean how much did they change the governments mind by smashing up Millbank Tower?

Give the air time to the peacfull protesters, not the idiots with nothing better to do than smash the place up.

CX.
edit on 24/11/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The British people are missing the boat here. This momentum should be used to make our voices heard on a whole bunch of points, starting with banking reform. From what I hear the unemployed are protesting in London today as well, but aside from the students and unemployed the rest of us should be making our voices heard, joining them and spreading the word on the other issues as well. What better opportunity will we have to spread the knowledge to the next generation?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I think the issue here is that i bet you a heck of alot of people who are attending are not even students,
Many who will jump on a band wagon just to do something,, Its mostly those who start the violence,
And there in lies the issue,

People then see that and then fail to support such a move..

I fully support people getting out there and voicing there opinion but violence on peoples livings is not acceptable.
Again its those who are "not" the students or "planted" who are the problem.

edit on 24-11-2010 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I was speaking to a guy I know at the weekend, he personally knows 2 men, eployed by the police to cause aggro at protests. 1 guy he was speaking to was laughing at the student protests from the other week. He said that those kids would have jumped off the top of the building if he'd have told them to. He wasa pointing at stuff and tellingthem to throw them at the wondows, they just did it, all caught up in the moment. They trashed that building, for a purpose, to discredit the cause of the protest. He's a professional antagoniser, and that is what happened the other week. And this is what will happen today (at a guess)

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
See the state of that police van?

They'll probably torch that soon. They are saying they've looted it for all the body armour and protective gear.

Do these people forget that in a few days they'll be picked up after their pictures are strewn over the national newspapers?

CX.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Oh # what just exploded? I think it was a firework or something. Watching the BBC live stream lol.
edit on Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:18:41 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Oh # what just exploded?

Where?

CX.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join