It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK royal wedding: marriage will cost economy £5bn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Royal wedding: marriage will cost economy £5bn

David Cameron confirmed that the nation would be given an extra bank holiday to celebrate the marriage, which will take place at Westminster Abbey on Friday, April 29.

It means Britain will be open for business on only three days between April 22 and May 2, because Easter is the weekend before the wedding, and the May Day bank holiday is the following Monday.

Employers said yesterday that small businesses in particular would suffer because of lost sales, while others warned that some companies would effectively be shut down for the 11-day period because many staff would take the three-day week as annual leave.

Now let me tell you that I think that this is OUTRAGEOUS... who gives a flying turd what an inbred bastard passing himself as ``prince`` above the little people do?

PEOPLE NEED THAT MONEY, there's a depression! They need to work, the little shops need that money.

The Brits really need to man up and kick this disgusting monarchy idea out of the country, I can personally supply all the rope if they want to hang them.

The queen and her ilk can go to hell for all I care. Even if I were born a Brit, I couldn't be one because of that monarchy BS.
edit on 24-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I want to know why the people of England haven't had their own little tea party and thrown the bums out?!?! I feel bad for ya'll. Really. Having to pay taxes to keep Camella in her cigarettes and to keep Charles in his la-la land. Let them earn their own money and pay their own bills.

Whatever. It's not my country. But lemme' say this ...
Tea party time in England. Throw the bums out.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Wow, don't hold back on how you feel

I agree with you though, it's a little INSANE that the people have to suffer for a wedding. Nobody's wedding should be that lavish or that important but as an American I don't know much about the Royals. I do remember the hype over Diana and I liked her so I can see why her son getting married is such a big deal but I don't think the country should shut down for it. People need to work and need that money, are they gonna pay everyone who has to miss work just so their wedding can happen?

If people dislike the Royals so much then why do they line up to watch this kind of stuff? Surely it looks to me like most over there love the Royal family. Again I only go by what I see on TV since I don't live there.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Ever heard the expression "you have to speculate to accumulate"?

This may cost us 5bn but trust me the resulting revenue will be enormous!!

Korg.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The royal family????
They are a joke!!!

This is a clear case as to why we need to delete the elite.

Look at how many regular citizens are going to suffer because they think their blood is better then yours.
I say quit living in the past and get rid of these parasites.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I know how horrible, people can take time off. I mean the fact they already ONLY work a five day week is ridiculous.

I say screw any day off. Christmas? naw. We should work as it will cost the economy millions to give us the day off.

The gain to the UK economy in increased tourism dollars and good publicity will out weigh the "costs".

I'm looking forward to my day off.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The royal couple should elope to Las Vegas and get their wedding with Elvis for pennies on the dollar.

BTW didn't the US help with tax payer money UK when the banks went down, well I guess now they will help pay for the Royal wedding of the century.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
i wonder how much will be generated through tourism or souvenier shopping? im sure a round the world trip will be organsed after to celebrate

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by midlandslad

No really as it will be many dignitaries and head of state in the UK for the wedding as is the norm in events of this category, so security will be very strong and restrictive.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Royal wedding: marriage will cost economy £5bn

David Cameron confirmed that the nation would be given an extra bank holiday to celebrate the marriage, which will take place at Westminster Abbey on Friday, April 29.

It means Britain will be open for business on only three days between April 22 and May 2, because Easter is the weekend before the wedding, and the May Day bank holiday is the following Monday.

Employers said yesterday that small businesses in particular would suffer because of lost sales, while others warned that some companies would effectively be shut down for the 11-day period because many staff would take the three-day week as annual leave.

Now let me tell you that I think that this is OUTRAGEOUS... who gives a flying turd what an inbred bastard passing himself as ``prince`` above the little people do?

PEOPLE NEED THAT MONEY, there's a depression! They need to work, the little shops need that money.

The Brits really need to man up and kick this disgusting monarchy idea out of the country, I can personally supply all the rope if they want to hang them.

The queen and her ilk can go to hell for all I care. Even if I were born a Brit, I couldn't be one because of that monarchy BS.
edit on 24-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

I TOTALLY AGREE. I'm British and i hate the monarchy. Its a waste of money. The simple argument that MP's always throw back at the public is....

"But the Royal Family helps generate millions of pounds in tourism"

On question time (a british ploitical show) last week, the employment minister said and i quote...

"think of the money the flag manufacturing companies will make from this wedding"...

Honestly??? This is the person incharge of employment policies in the UK?

Its a complete joke. They waste money, millions each per year.

Prince William costs the Welsh Police force 1.4million per year because he refuses to live in the barracks where he works in Search and Rescue. He wants to live in a little cottage outside the barracks and be normal...

This is rediculous because he ISNT NORMAL...he's a Prince.

If he wants to live a normal life then the police should ignore him...like they do everyone else.

I sometimes really hate this country! But there is di*k all you can do about it.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

I like your style.

By the economy I assume they mean "the city"
So normal people get a 4 day weekend and a lot of bankers / stockbrokers lose 5bn
A plan with no drawbacks... fantastic!

The way these billion pound figures are thrown about lately they have ceased to have any meaning at all

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by midlandslad
i wonder how much will be generated through tourism or souvenier shopping? im sure a round the world trip will be organsed after to celebrate

I doubt all that much extra will be generated because every news station on the plaet will report it. People will sit at home to watch it. You sure as hell wont see me buying a Union Jack flag or clapping at it. Infact my TV will not be on that day!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
i have to say im just happy with the day off,not very often you get one for reasons like this.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The last time these stupid figures were thrown around we were told that we lost £900m because it snowed for a day

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
delete the elite.

I'm making me a T-Shirt with that on it!

IRM

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Some people need to learn how to live. Seriously you complaining about a day off.....

As far as im concerned people have to work too hard these days to make an honest living, and if I have a day off I would smile, kick back and spend it with family and enjoy the tiny bit of life that I get to enjoy without been a slave to humanity

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

What ever you say about the royal family they are our head of state and I bet they are more affordable than Obama and his entrouage and airforce one. Just look at the recent cost of his trip to India.

At least our heads of state prevent those that aspire to power in the UK get remined every now and then that they are not the head of the totem pole.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Ever heard the expression "you have to speculate to accumulate"?

This may cost us 5bn but trust me the resulting revenue will be enormous!!

Korg.

That's as maybe, but the cost will be borne by the taxpayer and the profit will benefit the elite, as usual.

This is totally amoral and disgraceful.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by midlandslad

No really as it will be many dignitaries and head of state in the UK for the wedding as is the norm in events of this category, so security will be very strong and restrictive.

It's all just a play on words, of which you seem to remain completely unaware. This is feudalism, they are the masters. the serfs cough up another $5billion for an elite, hedonistic knees up. It is insane.

I like that. DELETE THE ELITE!
edit on 24-11-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Makes me laugh, we get a holiday for this and not on St. Georges day, F'ing joke! I mean who actually gives a damn about the royal family any more anyway? I know i don't the queen sold us down the drain by approving the Lisbon treaty! So screw the 'royal' family!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join