It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think they are setting me up to take away my unemployment :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Now, am I able to work? Yes. I do not feel sorry for myself, but I am extremely pissed. I got a letter in the mail declaring that I must attend a re-evaluation for eligibility for unemployment benefits on Dec 1st.
I must take in my employment contacts (even though I am a student, Ill hit on that in a few), and most prove again why I should be getting unemployment!

My backstory...

Coming off active duty in June of last year, the first thing I wanted to do was make sure that I found a job right away, as to provide health care for my daughter and (now ex) wife. So I applied for a job, and got one that started 2 days after my contract was expired.

I also enrolled in school, to better my life.

FFW: I quit the job, because I could not deal with apologizing to people for (in my opinion) being ignorant and helpless. I, afterall, was last assigned as a training NCO in a basic training unit, so it was not in my mentality then, or now for that matter, to apologize. It was learn, move on, teach, and they either grasp the concept, or get lost in the sauce. Nowhere do I apologize for their mistakes (I have since been diagnosed with PTSD)

I did however, keep with school. I now attend school, and receive unemployment benefits, which is primarily what keeps me being able to survive, and have a roof over my head so that my daughter can visit me. I live in a #ty apt with a friend of mine from work, but I make ends meet.

Now they want to take that away, and Ill be paying child support, a car payment and rent, and various other bills I was stuck with from my divorce, all without the help of UB which, most people I know coming straight off active duty, get 2 years as they go to school. I probably made that "mistake" which I wouldnt consider it that, since I provided my family with insurance...

Im just frustrated that I now, after giving 4 years of my life to the military/govt complex.. am being forced to again, forget about advancing myself, and go back to being a slave for "the man" and letting the young americans, who will never serve a day in their life, pass me by the boatload.

FU America... FU

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Sorry.. bit confused here. How do you get unemployment after quitting a job voluntarily?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I didnt make it real clear..

I was going to get fired eventually anyways, because of what I said in my OP, I just cannot and will not apologize for things I had nothing to do with.

I worked for GEICO, where they monitor certain aspects of calls, and that is one of them.

I wasnt overly rude about it, I just always had a "lets fix this for you" attitude as opposed to "im sooo sorry that this happened to you, you poor little baby, let me massage your prostate" attitude that they want you to have.

Plus, they didnt contest it when I filed, im essentially drawing off of my military time now.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dmefoc

aah. ok.. sorry. wasn't doubting you, just was confused.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
No worries! It's just my "rant" for the day

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Gee I take it you would take my tax dollars anyway you could. stop whining for a hand out and get a job. Oh well I wish I could have a dream job but thats only dreaming. You had a job most people would love and you act like a spoiled brat . Milk the system like many others and cry about jobs to tuff for your little mind.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Ok OP.... bear with me here. Im an old lady so dont curse me for being harsh.

You were a fool to quit that job. You may not find another, youre able to work, and you chose not t because you got your panties in a wad
Youre ex mil.. you know you adapt and overcome.. you succeed and make it happen. Missed that part of military training perhaps?

Okay, so what and thats the past. Lets move on now. What you need to do now is stop taking the teet and get any job you can.Youre an able bodied grown man now with a dependent. That child needs to have a working father who contributes even if he feels his job is crappy. Trust me, most of us HATE(D) our jobs, but we take our responsibilities and the fact that we MUST set the proper example for our children seriously. At this point, you better realize beggars cant be choosy, and youre one inch away from being a beggar.. jobs arent plentiful anymore. You have a leg up on a lot of applicants, an honorable discharge ( hopefully) and businesses ( like my family's corporations) specifically seek ex military. Mainly due to the grandfather being a crusty old Marine with this bias about military versus civ workers. LOL! Theyre out there... especially now. I want you to make a success of yourself and not another lazy ex-soldier. We have too many of them for some reason with this generation. Dont be too proud.. adapt and succeed.. work 2 crappy jobs if you have to. Youll feel better and youll be doing the right thing.

My oldest daughter was dating a boy ( notice I said was) who was in your situation. Way too proud for his own good and expected to make 50K a year simply because he was himself.
He is back living with mom and hanging out at the skate park.. jobless and still whining. SHe dumped him because she saw that he would be nothing because he refused to do what it takes. I dont want to see you miss out on a decent new wife and a real life. Times have changed so much so quickly.. please realize it and take what you can get.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Might not be your thing but you can make decent money usually during the holidays working service industry.

Banquets can net some cash too.

Fine Dining too.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmefoc
Yes, youre right. After serving the country, I shouldnt be able to take time to go to school like most people can at their jobs. Oh I could too, one class at a time.

We are given the GI Bill which pays for our school, if you had a set of balls, and are so worried about what IM doing, why dont you enlist in the military, get your school paid for as well?

Oh thats right, youre to big of a pu$$y to ever try that, but hell, its reaaaal easy to come on here and keyboard warrior your mouth...

Thanks for your tax dollars, btw.. a$$hole

Dear, no, you cant take time and lay around anymore. You have a dependent. Go to night school.. but get a job and take control of your own life. Sometimes our choices ( having a child) makes it impossible to just do what we want to do or what we think we are entitled to.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I was in the military and yes I have the GI bill and yes I could do 2 things at once but cry wasn't my thing I'd never quit a job without one lined up but I know with a child I would not care as some do, I guess with your military background you should be able to get a janitor job someplace or maybe flipping burgers without getting fired.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Yes, youre right. After serving the country, I shouldnt be able to take time to go to school like most people can at their jobs. Oh I could too, one class at a time.

Personally, I went back to school and completed my Bachelors and Masters while working 40+ hrs. a week. Let's face it, it would be great if everyone could just go to school and not work during that time (sure would have been easier to complete papers, etc.), but it's not reality. At least you've got some money to go towards it. Me? I'll be paying on student loans for some time to come.

Of course, without those pieces of paper, I would have never even been considered (let alone obtained) my current job, such as it is....so it's important.

While I thank you for your service to our country, and wish you the best in both your education and your career choices, that service doesn't mean much to Geico. (and to be frank, I hate that company...they dropped me right after I got married, and after making me pay a refiling fee!) Bastards.. But, I digress....you're lucky they didn't contest the filing in the first place. Part of customer service is eating everyone's crap and saying mmm...mmm...good. Can't really blame them if the choice didn't fit your style.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmefoc
I didnt make it real clear..

I was going to get fired eventually anyways, because of what I said in my OP, I just cannot and will not apologize for things I had nothing to do with.

I worked for GEICO, where they monitor certain aspects of calls, and that is one of them.

I wasnt overly rude about it, I just always had a "lets fix this for you" attitude as opposed to "im sooo sorry that this happened to you, you poor little baby, let me massage your prostate" attitude that they want you to have.

The only advice that I can give you is essentially what I did when I realised that I couldn't 'play the game' or 'talk the talk', I opted out, which means that it has taken me a very long time to get pretty much nowhere. I did alot of menial work. Still do. I prefer it, they get the body, but my mind stays my own. I get paid for my labour. Nothing more, nothing less. I earn crappy money. I have never received a promotion, because if not on merit, I won't be judged. I'm a stubborn old bitch though, and my way, is just that. I don't recommend it, as I am very poor.

top topics

join