It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All miners dead after second explosion: police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The guy being interviewed on sky this morning (or a video they were running of someone being interviewed, I only caught it) he was obviously rather emotional, but he said something along the lines of ......that explosion, it's a cover up, now those people won't be able to say what happened on the first night......

Anyone else catch that?

Sad events, I hope they couldn't have been easily avoided.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dachende

FYI the search function is highly neglected here - www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thread has been going for a while =)

edit on 24/11/2010 by Dachende because: (no reason given)

True, BUT GTFO. They died and it warrants it's own thread.

A tag on the old thread is.. bah.

I believe this is worthy of it's own thread, because those men are not just news items, they are heartbreaking sadness for every family member who has lost them. And that is different to when it was still unknown..

There is no need to come in here and rabble about other threads...Not now..

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Damn, this'll ruin that small community. Poor people, poor Whānau..

I suppose in a way the rescue parties were correct, they have been vindicated!
They didnt rush men in, they investigated it. And potentially, saved another dozen or so dying along in this tragedy.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by Dachende

FYI the search function is highly neglected here - www.abovetopsecret.com...
Thread has been going for a while =)

edit on 24/11/2010 by Dachende because: (no reason given)

True, BUT GTFO. They died and it warrants it's own thread.

A tag on the old thread is.. bah.

I believe this is worthy of it's own thread, because those men are not just news items, they are heartbreaking sadness for every family member who has lost them. And that is different to when it was still unknown..

There is no need to come in here and rabble about other threads...Not now..

While we're here let's make 60 threads about the same topic instead of figuring out how to use 2 clicks to find an already active thread about the same thing you wanted to talk about ?
I was going to comment on your GTFO drama comment @ the start of your post, but I don't argue with e-thugs.
It's called pooling our resources. No disrespect to anyone intended, following board guidelines. Just sayin. I know 3 people who work in that mine, so don't get all high and mighty with me, k ?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
The guy being interviewed on sky this morning (or a video they were running of someone being interviewed, I only caught it) he was obviously rather emotional, but he said something along the lines of ......that explosion, it's a cover up, now those people won't be able to say what happened on the first night......

Anyone else catch that?

Sad events, I hope they couldn't have been easily avoided.

That was the father of one of our lost miners - He has been rattling on about a cover up from day one, after rescuers deemed it unsafe to enter the mine. Everytime he's interviewed he talks about how people are going to pay for this, and rants about how the mine was so unsafe it shouldn't have been open. In reality, he let his son work there.

I've been watching the coverage since day one here (nz) and I have to say this guy comes across like he's just looking for someone to blame, which is fair, considering he lost his child. But in reality, he's grabbing at straws.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have a friend who lives in the area and people seem to be curious as to why the police were running things as opposed to the mine-rescue people.

Just wondering if any other members from NZ had any ideas why this would be.

Very sad time for this close community my thoughts are with the families of those lost ... I think everyone was optimistic because of the good results in retrieving the Chilean Miners.

This kind of thing takes a lot of getting over in a small place ... I hope they can all gain comfort from each other at this time.

Woody

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Sorry to here this terrible news.

Condolences from myself and I am sure the rest of my country (USA) to your countrymen and those of NZ.

Im not actually from New Zealand, but being an Aussie, we consider NZ our brother. This must be a hard time for those families.

I only hope they can recover the bodies for a proper burial

Thanks sister!

In all honesty, there was very little chance of them surviving the first explosion and certainly next to no chance of them surviving more than a day or two (and that would have been an extremely remote unlikelihood) with the poisonous atmosphere inside the mine.

blogs.plos.org... aland/

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.pike.co.nz...

There has been some pretty disturbing journalism too, particularly from our sisters across the ditch:

Mr Broad slammed Australian journalist Ean Higgins, from The Australian, who had asked what a "local country cop" was doing leading the rescue operation.

www.stuff.co.nz... /pike-river-mining-disaster/4384256/Police-chief-defends-rescue-effort

more!

Yes, it is a sad and tragic event. I feel for all involved, not just the families affected, but the communities and also the Police and S&R folk. Incredibly difficult work.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissMegs
It's sad, especially with the other mine survivors in the news at the moment.

Ironically they are now sending in Search and Rescue teams.

MM

No they're not. Not yet!
Geez, please try to find out some information rather than just spread bulldust!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
I have a friend who lives in the area and people seem to be curious as to why the police were running things as opposed to the mine-rescue people.

Just wondering if any other members from NZ had any ideas why this would be.

Yep, the Police coordinate the Search and Rescue Operations here because they have the access to resources (communications etc). The Policeman in charge would have been taking advice from experts.

Originally posted by woodwytchVery sad time for this close community my thoughts are with the families of those lost ... I think everyone was optimistic because of the good results in retrieving the Chilean Miners.

Unfortunately, people latched onto that without thinking that the situations are completely different between a hard rock mine and a coal mine. There never really was much hope for these guys.

edit on 24-11-2010 by aorAki because: Triple Post!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Hey there aorAki,

Thanks so much for the response much appreciated ... it's good to hear from someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about rather than just speculating ... you know how things can get twisted in situations like this.

I agree about the difference in the situations in the Chilean Mine and Pike River Mine ... I suppose it's human nature to hope for a happy ending even in the most unlikely senarios.

I hope the rescue team manage to retrieve the miners as swiftly as possible so that the families and extended communities can begin their private grieving processes.

Woody

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
terrible... just terrible. I hate to hear this.

bumped for those who haven't learned of this yet.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Hi Chop,

This will not ruin the community. They have come through many tragedies.

They will grieve and suffer, but they will get back on their feet.

I don' t think I have ever seen anyone as staunch as Coasters in my life.

Also, Gary Knowles, the top police guy heading the recovery op, has been unfairly maligned for delaying rescue.
The 2nd explosion proved him right, and the chances of further explosions are high.

Our hearts, love and prayers are with all of those who are suffering.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join