It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Treasures and Pleasures of a Good Book.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I ain't talkin about no electronic book either. I'm talking about a good old fashioned written on paper book...

That makes me feel old, talking about books as if it is a dead format! Sheesh, in today's world, it sadly kind of is.

A good book is full of magic of wonder, and definitely something you can't put down. I spent a good 5 hours today reading a book, and it sure was a nice change of pace instead of reading words on a computer screen.

I have heard that you can read 20-30% faster reading words on paper instead of words on a screen. I have tested this and I have to agree. Reading on paper is much less straining on the eyes for sure.

I like books because it requires you to use your imagination to visualize the story unfolding in the book. Have you ever been dissapointed when you watch a movie adaptation of a book, only to find it has ruined your perceptions of certain characters and settings? It's a major bummer when that happens.

I am surprised just how vivid the images are that my mind can conjure up just by reading words. It's great to have a fun imagination. I even find myself mouthing the words and making the expressions of the characters. It is such an engaging experience.

I would love to hear your input on the book reading experience and what it does for you.

-SES
edit on 23-11-2010 by SolarE-Souljah because: typoo.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I was reading that radio, and reading, cause a person's brain to actually regenerate as part of the proccess of listening, thinking, and visualization...while TV owing to the flicker rate causes entrainment or a hypnotic state, which tends towards alzhiemers....

I'm going to hazard a guess that because when the engineers said they could vastly improve the picture of TV, the intelligence community said no leave it we want entrainment, that the flicker rate of your monitor is slowing down your brain when you go into reading mode.

Try getting as far from 60 hertz refresh rate and see if that helps...

edit on 23-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Reading a normal book is so soothing, seriously. I sometimes print the books i download of the net as it keeps my interest much more. Learn the material much faster too, if it is an educational piece.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Oh, and the book that brought upon the inspiration for this thread?

Dreamcatcher, by Stephen King. An absolutely phenomenal book. Probably the best novel I have ever read. I am about halfway through and can't wait to read some more.

In this case, I saw the movie before I read the book.

I enjoyed the movie, but the book is able to delve into more detail with the events.

I recommend both the book and movie.

Oh yes, feel free to share your fave books as well. I have just recently got back into reading.

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I have a Kindle and I appreciate it when I travel, as I can load it up with a variety of books before leaving.

However, I rarely use it outside of that aspect, and never read books on my computer. I am old enough to have been raised with paper books, weekly trips to the library, and rare excursions to the book shops, the best ones having stacks of unsorted tomes, and you never knew what you'd stumble across and beg your parents to buy.

So, my house is outfitted with a large number of bookshelves, all overflowing. Depending on mood, I'll be reading an old favourite (many books from my childhood are on those shelves,) something that has been recommended to me, or just something random, and usually concurrently read 2-3 books.

I'm currently reading Devil in the White City, about a serial killer and the architects of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, A Single Shard, about a kid who is fascinated by Korean pottery masters, and an evangelical treatise on the nature of heaven, whose name I can't recall. The middle one was recommended by a friend, the other two were random picks.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I also prefer reading books in the old manner that is paper books. It is a good past time IMO. Sit outside in nice weather, have a cup of coffee or any drink and read an interesting novel... so relaxing

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

That was a great book. My favorite series ever is the dark tower series.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I read every single day. There is nothing like getting lost in the pages of a good book. I will never tire of an old fashioned book you can hold in your hands.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I was reading that radio, and reading, cause a person's brain to actually regenerate as part of the proccess of listening, thinking, and visualization...while TV owing to the flicker rate causes entrainment or a hypnotic state, which tends towards alzhiemers....

I'm going to hazard a guess that because when the engineers said they could vastly improve the picture of TV, the intelligence community said no leave it we want entrainment, that the flicker rate of your monitor is slowing down your brain when you go into reading mode.

Try getting as far from 60 hertz refresh rate and see if that helps...

Actually the refresh rate issue is only for CRTs, and yes, if you have a CRT with a variable refresh rate it's good for your eyes to up it to the maximum possible (though it may shorten the life of your CRT and make it run hotter).

With flat panels there is still technically a "refresh rate" but it basically just means frame rate. The screen itself is "always on" and does not blank out and flicker 60 times a second; but rather just changes the picture to the next "frame" without blanking out.

Unless there's a conspiracy with flat panels that I'm unaware of.

new topics

top topics

join