It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can TPTB Automatically Block Your Wireless Signal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
A couple of days ago as I was on one of the militia sites I visit, talking about the government and the possible revolution in America, my laptop quit receiving a signal from my service provider. I called a few people that I know get their internet from the same broadband company and asked if they had service. All of them said yes. At this time the first thought that went through my mind was that the government shut me down for all my "revolution talk."

I then called the service provider and they said that I should still have service, but then told me to let them go into the system and see what they could find. They called me back a couple hours later and told me that something was definitely wrong because they couldn't connect to my tower.

I was able to get a weak signal yesterday but it took almost ten minutes to load a page. They came out to see what the problem was today. After they had plugged into my system they found out the problem. They said that my (signal power?), had been turned down somehow. They couldn't give me an explanation of how it happened. They turned my signal back up and it works fine.

I've had this service provider for a few years and never had any problems, until I started talking about standing up to a tyrannical government. Have any of you ever had anything similar happen or know if they can cut the signal transmission from a certain location and not affect the main server?

Please don't bash me. I have learned how to be a conspiracy theorist here on ATS. LOL Just made me wonder if it was possible.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
There may be some tech heads here who can either debunk this, or fall back with you. Im
. I always feel scared of talking revolution because of fear of them targeting me (who is going to be considered the operatio leader, so thy just whack me off)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Yea me too now. When it happened I thought about things I have said and about being labeled as a Domestic Terrorist and I figured that they might be coming for me. I grabbed my bug-out bag and gun, jumped in my truck and headed for the woods. LOL After my service provider called me, I left my things in the woods and came home after I figured that I had just been reading and visiting ATS for too long.

I really wished that I knew if they had that capability though. It sure would calm me down a lot.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Do you have a password for your wireless? Our neighbor does not have a password, which means anybody with a wireless card can "borrow" her signal. Which made her connection slow down.
Also if someone that is in control of that website/forum they can easily obtain your ip address which means they can somehow packet flood your connection or worse. I'm no expert, just had these things happen to me before..

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)

As a matter of fact I do have a password on my wireless router. I found out a couple of months ago that my neighbors were using my connection. That made me put a password on it.

The technology that exists today wouldn't surprise me if TPTB were capable of doing this. Where are the experts when you need them around here? LOL

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

There could be a MILLION reasons for your wireless signal to disappear, and none of them has anything to do with the government.

I worked as a customer service agent for a large TV/Internet company here in Europe a while back. I was surprised to learn exactly how much can really interfere with your wireless signals. Here are a few to check before you grow paranoid:

1.) Microwaves. Yes, they can totally disrupt your internet making it next to impossible to get online. (I had this happen to me just a month ago.)
2.) Energy saving lightbulbs. Check to make sure that you don't have any of these lightbulbs near your wireless router. If you do, either replace them with a standard lightbulb, move your lamp or move your router.
3.) Devices that receives and transmits iR signals. CD players, DVD players and even TV's can make your wireless router act funny.

There are of course more, just none that I can remember off the top of my head.

Not everything is big brother.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Thanks for your reply, it makes sense. Though it leads me to another question. Would these things interfere with the signal if you are sitting right beside the router? When it happened and most of the time the router is only about 18 inches from my laptop.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

You should change your password every month, the longer the better.
Do you have a wireless phone? If so, move the base station away from the router, that happens sometimes.
It could be interfering with your set up box (cable box).
Any foil-like material near the router?
How far is your house from the exchange?
Is the router connected with a two-pin plug? perhaps you might need to get a new one.

-Naeem

top topics

join