It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
en.wikipedia.org...

Over time, the chemical and physical properties of the plant remains (believed to mainly have been fern-like species antedating more modern plant and tree species) were changed by geological action to create a solid material.

Trees die, tectonic plates shift, climates change, the raw material of the ex tree is compressed into the earth, broken down and crushed into coal over thousands of years.

edit on 23-11-2010 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

Statistically that doesn't add up to me...only one.... (1)........ tree made it past 10K out of 100's of millions of them?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Because when the earth is rock, and lava and toxic gasses, trees cant grow.......

2nd line

So if this tree is here in one thousand years...would you reply/logic/worldview still fit?

When does your assertion "trees can't grow" start to become a reality?

K old thinker, try to stay with me on this.........of course i couldnt make the same assertion because NOW we have oxygen in the atmosphere! weird.........

When they say the planet is so many years old, it doesnt mean the date of birth was the date man started walking or fish started swimming in the sea............thats flawed logic brah
edit on 23-11-2010 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
The oldest human to have ever lived was 122 years old, should we assume the Earth is no older than that?

This is incongruent friend...

You argument is apples and oranges...sorry...

The tree is a DIRECT product of the earth...tied to it, even.

Humans are "discrete" from the earth

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Well, following your line of reasoning. The bible mentions many people of advanced years such as Methusulah. Why can't we find a man older than 150 years old? Is it that the Earth is in fact younger than 150 years old? Ooh, the intrigue!

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link
edit on Tue Nov 23 2010 by Jbird because: replaced large quote with Reply To:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There is evidence of trees dating much further back then 10K years, but as any organism on earth, they have a lifespan. With the oldest living tree listed as being 6000 years old (Sunland Baobab). There is plenty of evidence of petrified trees dating back millions of years:

Petrified National Forest
The Petrified Forest is known for its fossils, especially fallen trees, that lived in the Late Triassic, about 225 million years ago.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/23/2010 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

K old thinker, try to stay with me on this.........of course i couldnt make the same assertion because NOW we have oxygen in the atmosphere! weird.........

When they say the planet is so many years old, it doesnt mean the date of birth was the date man started walking or fish started swimming in the sea............thats flawed logic brah

I'm with you brah...ru a "clone"?? A Jim Rome fan?

ru saying we "living" types are a recent thing?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Maybe, but you seem to forget that many creatures have also died, some have survived. It's like you asking why there are no dinosaurs now...

Different climates, events, atmospheric gas types, etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

The oldest human to have ever lived was 122 years old, should we assume the Earth is no older than that?

Sorry, have to cry foul on this. You cannot pick and choose your science. If you are going to attempt to prove your religion using science (which really seems to be rather counter-productive and futile, IMHO), then you have to use the same logic. You claim that humans are "discrete" from the earth? how are we any differant SCIENTIFICALLY from any other mammal or from the trees, for that matter?
edit on 11-23-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
You theory is beyond silly. Living things live and die that is thier nature to do so. If there isnt a tree alive beyong 10,000 years old then clearly thier lifespan isnt that long. I aso cant find a million year old flower, or grasshopper, or human but we know they have been here longer than thier lifespan because we have observed it.

Please refer to the article I posted on page one showing evidence of trees dating to 320 million years ago. Case closed.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
why are you totally ignoring the Petrified National Forest answeres? starting to look like you only are interested in explanations you can dance around.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

in the timeline of the earth? Yeah i would say we are a fairly recent addition.......

The earth has cycles tho, so who is to say how many civilizations have come and gone.....the time frame of the ancient planet to now, is a huge chasm of time.......many things can come and go and be wiped clean in that span

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sceptical me
Well, following your line of reasoning. The bible mentions many people of advanced years such as Methusulah. Why can't we find a man older than 150 years old? Is it that the Earth is in fact younger than 150 years old? Ooh, the intrigue!

Remember not to copy HUGE quotes in the thread ok?

Good question...if you want to know the answer it is here...there are some good statistics...run charts...time-series plots used....I just don't know how to cut and paste them well, sorry...

Here: www.biblestudy.org...

Short answer...it was THE FLOOD...

Conclusions Regarding Age of Biblical Patriarchs (OLD OLD Testament dudes)

•The information source (divine revelation) for the ages of the patriarchs provides ages that closely matches a natural exponential equation.

•It is highly unlikely that people living at this time knew the mathematics of the exponential decay curve.

•It is very unlikely that the ages were fabricated since they closely match the naturally occurring exponential decay curve.

•The ages when the patriarchs died show that the post-genesis flood world was being affected by some natural factors that were causing declining life spans.

All of these factor indicate that the ages of the Biblical patriarchs were genuine and not fabrications.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Its likely that the same meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs and blackened the atmosphere for years and years is what killed off the ancient trees. Trees are also susceptible to disease, magma flow, flooding, land slides, pollution from volcanos (hot ash/acid rain/etc), as well as insect and animal damage. I'd say the world's oldest tree is a testament to luck rather than creationism.
Trees are living things, and like all living things they breathe, eat, have language, but most importantly, they die.
Where do you think all of that coal comes from that our miners work so hard at digging out?
Not to mention that trees (as we know them) haven't been around for forever. They've evolved over time just like we animals have.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Hello. Thank you for sharing these trees with me.

I'm not here for the debate, I have my own understandings/beliefs.

But I do find the link extremely wonderful!!!
Tree trunks bend and twist during growth to avoid any obstacles in order to get a better "tanning spot."
Trees move and adjust their leaves throughout the day to follow the sun.
Deciduous trees [hibernate] shed their leaves in the autumn and regrow in the spring.
They absorb [drink] water and absorb [eat] organic minerals.
They breathe in and exhale.

I believe trees are sentient beings and aware of existence.
I feel it is awe-inspiring and amazing these guys have managed to live such long lives.
If they could tell their story, what a tale it would be!
I hope there are efforts in place to protect these guys.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The Canadian Shield

The metamorphic base rocks are mostly from the Precambrian Era (between 4.5 billion and 540 million years ago),

en.wikipedia.org...

Its hard to argue with something I am standing on
The reason there are no really old trees here is because the type of trees that grow to those kind of ages grow here...
between glaciations,
which have scraped the rock bare every so many thousand year cycle
edit on 23-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Sorry, have to cry foul on this. You cannot pick and choose your science. If you are going to attempt to prove your religion using science (which really seems to be rather counter-productive and futile, IMHO), then you have to use the same logic. You claim that humans are "discrete" from the earth? how are we any differant SCIENTIFICALLY from any other mammal or from the trees, for that matter?
edit on 11-23-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

I am not trying to prove anything to you...it is all on you friend...

I'm simply asking a very logical question...

If you can't admit humans are very different from trees...I can't convince you

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Okay OP have you missed the any links others have posted that show you various tree systems and trees that are well over 1 million years old?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kokoro
You theory is beyond silly..

Now why would you resort to that?

You theory isn't SILLY....just DIFFERENT than mine

You will find OT will not "put you down" if you disagree with me...

I'm just a humble ole MIRROR

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join