It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
How can the earth be millions of years old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

I don't know how old the earth is...neither do you friend.

OT

I'm not your friend because I don't hang out with people who purposely remain ignorant to basic scientific facts. The earth is 4.6 billion years old. We don't use trees to date to earth. The ages of Earth and Moon rocks and of meteorites are measured by the decay of long-lived radioactive isotopes of elements that occur naturally in rocks and minerals and that decay with half lives of 700 million to more than 100 billion years to stable isotopes of other elements. These dating techniques, which are firmly grounded in physics and are known collectively as radiometric dating, are used to measure the last time that the rock being dated was either melted or disturbed sufficiently to rehomogenize its radioactive elements.

Seriously, how hard is it for you to simply type "Age of the earth" into google? It takes 3 seconds. If you like spreading ignorance, I'm sure there a few Christian theme parks out there still telling kids that cavemen rode dinosaurs.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Because when the earth is rock, and lava and toxic gasses, trees cant grow.......

2nd line

So if this tree is here in one thousand years...would you reply/logic/worldview still fit?

When does your assertion "trees can't grow" start to become a reality?

When they are eaten by termites, killed by fungus, covered in lava, set on fire by lightning, ripped out of the ground by a mudslide or earthquake, the soil they are in is eroded away by wind, when they are ripped out of the ground by a tornado or a hurricane, etc.

I'm not sure why people are wasting their time indulging your willful ignorance. You obviously don't care about radiometric dating - ironic that a guy using a modern computer and the internet has little interest in science.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

edit on 25-11-2010 by andrewh7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Many people have pointed out that living things die.

Earth was in rough states 10,000-12,000 years ago....animals died out...many living things died out...and you cant understand why we dont have a 'live' tree more then 10,000 years old?

I dont get it

We know the earth goes through cycles and these cycles affect life.

What is your point OP?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but the OP doesn't make any sense. You do know that when planets form, they aren't immediately a habitable world where trees immediately start growing, right? I mean, a planet could be a rocky lava ball for eons before an atmosphere develops enough to cool the planet to the point of vegetation being able to develop. Not to mention evidence that the earth has suffered mass extinction events in the past that contributed to the destruction of many things (trees not withstanding).

You really didn't think this one through, did you?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
After reading the OP's responses I cannot help but feel sad for him or her.

If "God" created humans with the ability to logically think, then of course people who believe in "God" would not want to deny that human attribute, now would they? For isn't denying oneself a logical mind, actually denying "God" in a sense? Do they think they know better than "God"?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
when was this great flood that wiped life off the planet? just curious if trees were drowned during it.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well actually they have found fossilised treetrunks etc.
But climat change and other cataclismic events like ice ages and snowball earths, do have effect on the flora you know.

Plus bio matter does tend to rott away, decompose and turn to oil etc.
edit on 25-11-2010 by Subjective1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos
when was this great flood that wiped life off the planet? just curious if trees were drowned during it.

There have been atleast 3 'greatfloods' that we know of.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
this has got to be a troll. no way this guy is serious.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

Let's hope so, because if not education has failed him.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective1

when was the last one.. and were trees wiped out?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective1

If you read any of his other posts....this is actually typical for him.

Then he only addresses posts that he chooses to.

People will posts common sense replys and often they get a reply from his with a laughing icon as if they are the crazy ones that arent thinking.

Go figure

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
A CALL FOR CIVILITY.

ATS is here for a civil discussion of ideas. Generally, we are all here because we have OPEN MINDS, right? The *average* person doesn't even know about ATS. The *average* person is wined, dined and entertained by mainstream media in all it's colorful, alluring forms... right?

The fact that someone posts an idea on ATS and invites discussion, debate, clarification and ultimately *ILLUMINATION* should be celebrated. No one knows it all; it's impossible. The truly enlightened minds of our day KNOW this. There's simply too much out there for any ONE person to know; to think otherwise is, well, simply ignorant. Wise people KNOW this. And the fact that we're on ATS at all is evidence of some measure of wisdom, right?

That being said, let's not slam this OP or any OP (unless they truly deserve it). This one doesn't. He or she was just putting a topic out here for our enjoyment. If you aren't *enjoying* ATS and you're getting too serious about it all, then perhaps take a holiday and go play ball with your kids or go on a picnic with your significant other or take a knitting class or --whatever!--.

Point is: don't slam this person, the OP, for creating this forum in which we can share thoughts. KNOW that the world is diverse and exotic, and that the people who inhabit it are the same. Diverse and exotic. Realize that no single person knows it all. YOU DON'T KNOW IT ALL, so don't slam someone else for not knowing it all. One day you will get slammed, for you surely don't know it all, and neither do I. I am wise enough to KNOW THIS.

Live. Laugh. Be happy. Rejoice in this thing that is ATS. Like a tree, we are all leaves. Leaves come and go, yet the main tree goes on... even to the extent of 9,000+ years apparently. Imagine what that tree has seen. Imagine what unknown HISTORY that tree knows that we can never know. Imagine the sunsets, the seasons, the fullness of its existence. Just to sit in the shadow of that tree, lounge on its roots/trunks... meditating in its presence... What subtle secrets might it reveal subconsciously? What a fantastic tree. Life is a tree and we are leaves.

OP: thanks for the post. It has been a good journey. Everyone else, especially those who have been somewhat cruel and rude, well, just try to lighten up a bit. Realize that everyone may not be as wise as you, and that you are not as wise as Destiny.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

Originally posted by Subjective1

If you read any of his other posts....this is actually typical for him.

Then he only addresses posts that he chooses to.

People will posts common sense replys and often they get a reply from his with a laughing icon as if they are the crazy ones that arent thinking.

Go figure

Yeah that's how dark ages start.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

I think your intentions are a great add here....

But this thread is not about how great trees are or how much a tree 'see's' (but if you make a thread like that I would love to join it
)

People are frustrated because the OP is known for doing this...he makes a posts....he gets many replies....he cherry picks what ones he can work with and still stand in his own limited perspective and ignores many decent responses.

I actually totally see and understand peoples frustrations with the OP....and this is nothing uncommon in his threads for people to get upset when he ignores posts. If your lucky....you get a 'I disagree' from the OP and mabey some laughing icon with a 'Blessings' as he signs off....leaveing no true reason for his 'disagreements'. At least the posters here are giving reasons they dont see his points and are offering good ideas that the OP is not willing to take into account what so ever.

Some posters just ask for it....IMPO.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
What about Dinosaurs?
Aren’t they old enough?

Now, a tree is living tissue, it rots and dies away into nothing, Like muscle, leaves etc etc.
That’s why, the only things we do find from millions of years ago, are the hardest and most durable materials around, bone, rock etc etc.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I don't know how old the earth is...neither do you friend.

Yes we do, thanks to the work of scientists we know how old the Earth is within a fairly small margin of error. It isn't just millions either, its billions.

What does the age of trees have to do with the age of the Earth?
edit on 25-11-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is mentioned before, but there are two other methods used for determining the age of the earth:

- Every year or so an ice layer is added to the north and south pole. They counted about 20K layers.

- Every radioactive substance loses an amount of radioactivity each year. This is used to determine for how many years is has been going on already. They say more then 160.000 years.

Of course these are still indications...

www.talkorigins.org...
edit on 25-11-2010 by whatevername because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by choos

It happened around 6000 BC if I'm correct, but it affected (drowned) only the middle east.

There are some websites about the topic but I cannot find them at the moment.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join