It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
you know what really makes me angry about creationism and most of religion, especially christianity... they think we are the ones not in the 'know,' but dam it, I respect this planet and universe way too much to label everything I see and try to fit it into some silly story.

And the question in the OP was answered multiple times on the first page. Petrified trees. Millions of years old. move on, get over it, and open your eyes to a world much more amazing than ANY religion can even begin to fathom.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

cause trees die too -.-

2nd line

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
you know what really makes me angry about creationism and most of religion, especially christianity... they think we are the ones not in the 'know,' but dam it, I respect this planet and universe way too much to label everything I see and try to fit it into some silly story.

And the question in the OP was answered multiple times on the first page. Petrified trees. Millions of years old. move on, get over it, and open your eyes to a world much more amazing than ANY religion can even begin to fathom.

Thank you for your thoughts...your perception of Christianity is disturbing to me...I have had nothing "active" in my faith...its all been "passive"....I am not in the know...but the "known" has revealed himself to me ... because I asked.

The age of the earth is trivial in all reality...I just asked a simple question in the OP...not pushing a thing friend...and btw, it is rude to call one's faith a 'silly story'...you are free to believe as you will...I stick with Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States, 1809-1865, who said, “I am busily engaged in the study of the Bible. I believe it is God’s word because it finds me where I am....I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good of the Savior of the world is communicated to us through the Book.”

And Isaac Newton, English mathematician and scientist, 1642-1727, who said, “We account the scriptures of God to be the most sublime philosophy. I find more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history whatsoever.”

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
How can the earth be millions of years old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

OT

You ever wonder where coal came from?........

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Very flawed logic you have.

First of all, the earth isnt a few million years old, by your logic the dinosaurs never existed, the earth is 4.5 BILLION years old. secondly the first billion years there was no life what so ever. After the excintion of the dinosaurs, this included flona (plant life)

Then the many volcanos, fires the spread. Other metors impacts, causing more fire (incase you arent aware trees have a tendency to burn on touch of fire)

Also since man could use tools, they have been cutting down trees, as fast as they could, to make houses, buildings and weapons. so add 200,000 years of men cutting forests, the more advanced the more trees were cut. Russia doesnt even have trees anymore.

So its really only a hand full of trees were allowed to grow (mostly because they were in remote locations)

So just because you werent around when it happens, doesnt mean it didnt happen, it just means you are an idiot who cannot be taken seriously, no grand conspiracy there.

DEBUNKED! Reason, trees are not immortal.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
How about a question to answer your question?

Where is the conflict between Man being Created from the dust and Man being evolved from the dust. It's just terminology. Why would God not use Nature and it's Laws as a tool of Creation?

Few Christians have a problem with this and the idea you present is a result of illiteracy from another time. It is entirely rational to both believe we Evolved or were Created. They both describe the same process.

I think it's a given that most Christians now agree with what I've said. Too bad Christian Haters paint all of us with the same brush. It's an extension of their hate or should I say fear that we might be right. The belief the Earth is a few thousand years old is a radical belief not even held by most Christians. God gave me a mind and Human Kind our Science. Jesus told us to look to nature for answers. Many ignore the parts of our Faith that don't jive with their theories, but then those are just theories. Neither you or I know how creation was managed or how long it took as no record of that exists. You do not even know what is meant by the word "Day" in Genesis regarding creation.

The Earth is Billions of years old and that does not contradict even one word of the Bible. This argument is a creation of man assuming it's meaning and we know Men are flawed beings.

These topics are just part of the Cancer of the Body that divides us.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
To echo what I am sure has been said many times already, the earth simply could not support life in it's early stages.

Four billion years ago, when the earth was formed, it was more like Venus than it is now. There were constant volcanic erruptions, the atmosphere was highly toxic. Think of it as the fetal stage of our planet...not to mention the fact that there was an enormous ammount of debris hurtling around our still young and developing solar system. Metero impacts were probably a daily occurance, which would in turn cause more volcanic erruptions and other environmental issues.

Your argument basically states that the earth can't be billions of years old because the oldest form of life we have found is only ten thousand years old. How old is this universe, then? Is the entire universe only ten thousand years old?

Of course, there's no proof either way, but then we must look at what is most likely. In my opinion, it is more realistic to believe that the world is four billion years old, and only recently (in comparison, at any rate) gained the stability and nessecary conditions to sustain life. I mean...really, we have unearth remains of species far older than this tree. What were the Dinosaurs, which walked the earth a hundred million years ago? Are all those bones fake? Or just convieniently shaped rocks? We've even found remains of a ten million year old Great Ape, which is believed to be the oldest common ancestor of Humans and African Apes (thank you Discover Magazine).

I'm sorry...the fact that this tree is not the oldest "living" thing that we have stumbled upon (living in the context of "was once alive") leads me to believe that it does not show the earth is younger than science states. I may not agree with a lot of science, but I do believe that we have the approx. age of the planet down pretty well...might be off by a couple million years or so, but hey...nobody's perfect.

GtkP

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The oldest human is 115. If the earth was older than that why wouldn't there be older people?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Like some posters already pointed out, not all of the earth's history allowed for the growth of the trees that we currently have today. Also, trees live and die, like people. When you find a community of people that are all a thousand years old I'll accept this "no 10k year-old tree" as a valid argument.

Main point: Trees live and die. Just because the earth has existed for a long time doesn't mean trees are automatically obligated to live just as long.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

It seems like Christian Fundamentalists are willing to turn any lie into supposed, unquestioned gospel truth. Scientists have proven global warming exists; Christian Fundamentalists apparently believe that destroying our planet's natural resources is "God-like", wherever they get that from. I still remember the Jesus people were trying to Christianize the Columbine High School massacre by using Cassie Bernal as a martyr. Here's the exchange: (and beware, this site is totally dedicated to CHS massacre so it can get brutal in terms of photos:

Victims

For a long time after the shootings, it was believed that she was the girl in the library who was asked by one of the shooters: "Do you believe in God?" and was subsequently shot because she said "Yes". There is still controversy surrounding this -- according to the Columbine Report, several witnesses claim that the conversation occurred between gunman Eric Harris and surviving victim Valeen Schnurr. Valeen herself has verified this fact

And more Christians trying to prop up their religion as the "most holy" by lying about the death of a high school child. If the girl's response was "I worship Allah", the entire country would want the kids out in 5 years.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

you Odessy have a well open mind, the universe gave us life, it can take it away i suppose. But some do not posess logic, they cling to thier belifes merely because anything else then the world is scary to them, these are the less evolved of our species.

Those who have come to accept the ways of nature, are more evolved, more intellgent and above all else, slightly less retarded then the rest of the homo sapeins. lol

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The key here is word 'living'. Everything that lives has a lifespan and dies..Fossile records though have a more acrate faunic record. 385-million-year-old fossilized stumps were discovered in the town of Gilboa about a century ago. I think there is a link here:
www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
ur not sticking to ur self proposed montra of "Occoms razor"

ur looking for excuses to validate your creation theory (all fine and dandy), but logic has to prevail at some point.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
That's just the oldest LIVING tree, though...

Maybe the ones that were here before ten thousand years ago... you know... died...

jsjs

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I have trouble believing in anything that can't be proven to have ever taken place. Sure a man named Jesus was executed, the rest of the story is that..a story.

Religion is just a form of control and has been used as such since it's inception. If you want to believe in it, that's your choice I guess. But to state that creationism is fact is just wrong considering there is no proof whatsoever of it.

Look at how many people have been murdered in the name of Christianity alone. You can't tell me if there was a GOD that he would approve of murder in his name. Religion is an excuse to pervert reality for ones belief in an unproven myth.

WHERE IS THE PROOF OF GOD!

Don't tell me the bible either because that's been reinterpreted so many times to suit peoples agendas that it's historical reliability is questionable at best.

Is there an afterlife, I believe yes. In a quantum/physics world energy cannot be destroyed only transformed into another form of energy. A human body is full of energy. I believe that when our physical body dies our energy is transformed and enters the realm of the quantum world.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

There are many ancient beings on this planet...

In fact all life on this planet is ancient.

Why? because all of us are the decendants of the earliest and most successful lifeforms on this planet. I take great pride in the fact that my lineage (and that of all living things) is millions of years old. An unbroken chain to primodial soup!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
How about a question to answer your question?

Where is the conflict between Man being Created from the dust and Man being evolved from the dust. It's just terminology. Why would God not use Nature and it's Laws as a tool of Creation?

Few Christians have a problem with this and the idea you present is a result of illiteracy from another time. It is entirely rational to both believe we Evolved or were Created. They both describe the same process.

I think it's a given that most Christians now agree with what I've said. .......

The Earth is Billions of years old and that does not contradict even one word of the Bible. This argument is a creation of man assuming it's meaning and we know Men are flawed beings.

These topics are just part of the Cancer of the Body that divides us.

The age of the earth is secondary when it comes to matters of faith/unity....no debate/cancer here at all. You make some good points...something I struggle with is the Lord Jesus believed the biblical creation story I think..?

How do you reconcile that? What do you think of this?

Did Jesus Believe in Creation?
by Kenneth Ham

In Christ's day, the prevailing philosophy on origins included evolution and long ages of earth history. Their view, of course, was not Darwinian evolution, but it held that the earth and the universe, acting on itself by the forces of nature (which were given names by some) had organized itself into its present state, and was responsible for all of life. The same was true for the philosophy of Moses' day, as he prepared the book of Genesis.

Genesis stands in opposition to such a view, insisting that a transcendent God, external to the universe had called the universe and all it contains into existence from nothing. Genesis further reveals the steps God took during a six-day period to bring this about, and reveals that those days were only thousands of years ago, not millions or billions.

When God stepped into the space/time universe which He had created He stepped into a world dominated by those who denied His creative acts, and whose intellectual descendants still refuse to honor Him as Creator. And so, as we try to form our own beliefs about creation, it would behoove us to discern His views on creation and to believe likewise. When we examine His teachings, we will find that Jesus was not only the Creator, He was also a "creationist." Let us briefly look at some of the passages which reveal this: No natural process was responsible for creation—rather, God, Himself, created: ". . .from the beginning of the creation which God created" (Mark 13:19).

The cosmos had a definite beginning. Matter is not eternal: "...such as was not since the beginning of the world (Greek kosmos) to this time" (Matthew 24:21).

The world had been "founded." Not just coalesced from interstellar dust. ". . .for Thou lovest Me before the foundation of the world" (John 17:24).

Even the sun was of God's doing: ". ..He maketh His sun to rise" (Matthew 5:45).

As to plants and animals, each created "kind" was of a different sort: "Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles" (Matthew 7:16)? Furthermore, God had made provision for even the birds (see Genesis 1:30): "Behold the fowls of the air: . . .your heavenly Father feedeth them" (Matthew 6:26).

The Sabbath was a day of rest in commemoration of the completed creation: "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27).

Men and women were created at the start, not 4,000,000,000 years after the start: "From the beginning of creation God made them male and female" (Mark 10:6), and the union of Adam and Eve forms the basis of our doctrine of marriage: "Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh" (Matthew 19:6).

The two supposedly contradictory accounts of creation in Genesis 1 and 2 are fully compatible: "Have ye not read that He. . .made them male and female [quoting Genesis 1 :27], and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: And they twain shall be one flesh?" [quoting Genesis 2:24] (Matthew 19:5).

These and other teachings of Christ, when coupled with the total lack of any reference to evolution or long ages, give us complete confidence that our Lord, the Creator, accepted the Genesis account of creation in its most literal sense. Dare we believe otherwise

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Trees are living things. There is a time when the trees must go through the last stage of life which is death. Since this happens, It's very logical why we wouldn't find a tree from over 10,000 years ago.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Global warming?

Columbine?

Can u please stay on topic?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
.....ur looking for excuses to validate your creation theory (all fine and dandy), but logic has to prevail at some point.

Not really...just asked a question

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join