It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
How can the earth be millions of years old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

I don't know how old the earth is...neither do you friend.

But can't you skeptics just admit this is puzzling to your worldview? I mean many of those that believe in a young earth put it around 10K years old...right in line with the age of this tree in Sweden...

World's Oldest Living Tree -- 9550 Years Old -- Discovered In Sweden
ScienceDaily (Apr. 16, 2008) — The world's oldest recorded tree is a 9,550 year old spruce in the Dalarna province of Sweden. The spruce tree has shown to be a tenacious survivor that has endured by growing between erect trees and smaller bushes in pace with the dramatic climate changes over time.

For many years the spruce tree has been regarded as a relative newcomer in the Swedish mountain region. "Our results have shown the complete opposite, that the spruce is one of the oldest known trees in the mountain range," says Leif Kullman, Professor of Physical Geography at Umeå University.

A fascinating discovery was made under the crown of a spruce in Fulu Mountain in Dalarna. Scientists found four "generations" of spruce remains in the form of cones and wood produced from the highest grounds.

The discovery showed trees of 375, 5,660, 9,000 and 9,550 years old and everything displayed clear signs that they have the same genetic makeup as the trees above them. Since spruce trees can multiply with root penetrating braches, they can produce exact copies, or clones.

The tree now growing above the finding place and the wood pieces dating 9,550 years have the same genetic material. The actual has been tested by carbon-14 dating at a laboratory in Miami, Florida, USA.

Previously, pine trees in North America have been cited as the oldest at 4,000 to 5,000 years old

Source: www.sciencedaily.com...

I want to highlight this line...

The discovery showed trees of 375, 5,660, 9,000 and 9,550 years old and everything displayed clear signs that they have the same genetic makeup as the trees above them.

Notice that the various-aged-trees had the "same genetic make-up" meaning that the basic substances that the each tree were extremely similiar..so why haven't we found older ones with the same make-up....could it be something as simple as the earth wasn't here then?

OT

+78 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Because when the earth is rock, and lava and toxic gasses, trees cant grow.......

2nd line

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
For all your answers and more read the the following link(s)
Age of Earth wiki article
Ask me whatever else you need!

+77 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Because trees are a living thing and eventually they die. Rocks and earth are inanimate things which are not living species. Like all flora and fauna species tress have a life expectancy. Sorry, but thats a really weak argument for creationism in this instance

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Look at Meadowcroft Rock Shelter. That might help also.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Here's a great website with neat pictures of these old trees...I don't know how to put them into ATS...if someone does if you could help put a few "in" this thread I would appreciate it.

Link: www.wired.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Over time, the chemical and physical properties of the plant remains (believed to mainly have been fern-like species antedating more modern plant and tree species) were changed by geological action to create a solid material.

Trees die, tectonic plates shift, climates change, the raw material of the ex tree is compressed into the earth, broken down and crushed into coal over thousands of years.

edit on 23-11-2010 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Because when the earth is rock, and lava and toxic gasses, trees cant grow.......

2nd line

So if this tree is here in one thousand years...would you reply/logic/worldview still fit?

When does your assertion "trees can't grow" start to become a reality?

+58 more 
link   
The oldest human to have ever lived was 122 years old, should we assume the Earth is no older than that?

The oldest tortoise was 188, should we also assume this is the oldest the Earth can be?

The fact we found a tree that has lived nearly 10,000 years is incredible, but shouldn't indicate the age of the Earth in any way. Trees from the "petrified forest" existed more than 3 million years ago (and repudiates the notion we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old).

+24 more 
link   
We may not have living trees over 10,000 years old but we do have fossilized amber (which is produced by trees) that date to 320 million years ago. So clearly trees have been around for quite some time.

Bray, P. S.; Anderson, K. B. 2009. Identification of Carboniferous (320 million years old) class Ic amber. Science. 326: 132–134.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
How can the human species be hundreds of thousands of years old when we can't find one over the age of 114...

Edit to add
I see someone got there before me

edit on 23-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
per your wired article..

While Pando isn’t technically the oldest individual tree, this clonal colony of Quaking Aspen in Utah is truly ancient. The 105-acre colony is made of genetically identical trees, called stems, connected by a single root system. The “trembling giant” got its start at least 80,000 years ago, when all of our human ancestors were still living in Africa. But some estimate the woodland could be as old as 1 million years, which would mean Pando predates the earliest Homo sapiens by 800,000 years. At 6,615 tons, Pando is also the heaviest living organism on earth.

I have heard of this beast before. Simply an amazing organism and quite ancient.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Because trees are a living thing and eventually they die. Rocks and earth are inanimate things which are not living species. Like all flora and fauna species tress have a life expectancy. Sorry, but thats a really weak argument for creationism in this instance

...eventually....

OK time will tell right?

....really weak.....

I'll respectfully disagree...altho I'm not argueing....I'm asking

link   
Here is a good thread about German spears that are 400K years old.

Try and argue with that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good luck.

Edited to add: It proves there was trees 400K years ago.
edit on 23-11-2010 by Quickfix because: (no reason given)

link   

I didn't know that the earth was created with trees? I though trees eventually grew on them when they could?

Your tree argument is actually in conflict with a theory that the earth is anything but millions of years old. Considering every other planet within this solar system has NO trees, yet they exist here on earth. There for trees on this planet by way of logic had to have grown here, which implies a drastic change from something like mars, mercury, or Venus (our closest planets) to what earth is today, it just doesn't make sense something like that could occur over a mere 10 thousand years...

There are multitudes of different way that all lead to the evidence earth is millions of years old. How old life is here though is another question all together.

You are right though, I cannot claim absolute knowledge and fact to how old the earth is.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Wait, I'm confused. Are you arguing that there weren't any trees before 10,000 years ago?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Time has told, trees die all the time

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Notice the ZERO flags...It is just a ridiculous question. So are you saying that YOU THINK the earth is only 10,000 years old? Did you get this idea after reading "the good book"? I'm guessing you think dinosaurs are made up to, eh?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Are you trying to posit some judeo-christian world view with this? Well the basic nuts and bolts can be explained by for instance...THE ICE AGE
there have been countless. Now hows about the fern? they have been proven to be around for more then a couple 100 million years.

Here's my question to you....what test did they use on the tree in Sweden?...radio carbon dating...ok well in at least as far as that method is valid AND since it is from the same parameters...Radio Carbon dating has found any number of biological life forms that date back 100's of millions of years....yes from right here on this ol earth.

Is it possible carbon dating is flawed?...sure but the inverse of your conjecture subjects itself to the same parameters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join