It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa group seeks Arizona-style immigration law, begins petition drive.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

But it's not a 10 second search, prove that it is, prove to us that it's not being handcuffed, stuffed into a paddy wagon with a bunch of other people, taken to an INS Facility, being checked in, then detained, till some bureaucrat finally gets around to you.

And what about those of us that were born here in this country? We don't have immigration cards, we don't need them. We were born here.

Contrary to popular belief, not all of us drive, I haven't driven in years, I don't have a Drivers License. So what do I do? Do I have to keep my birth certificate on me at all times? What if the cop is some crazy birther? Good god!

I mean why should I have to have identification on me at all times? I know who I am.

What, should they start tattooing people when they pick them up for these Citizenship Sweeps? That way they always have their identification number proudly displayed on their forearm while they await being verified in INS Detention facilities.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

But it's not a 10 second search, prove that it is, prove to us that it's not being handcuffed, stuffed into a paddy wagon with a bunch of other people, taken to an INS Facility, being checked in, then detained, till some bureaucrat finally gets around to you.

It is a 10 second search in my country, and you cannot be arrested or detained without a reason. Why dont you prove your crazy fantasies?

And what about those of us that were born here in this country? We don't have immigration cards, we don't need them. We were born here. Contrary to popular belief, not all of us drive, I haven't driven in years, I don't have a Drivers License. So what do I do? Do I have to keep my birth certificate on me at all times? What if the cop is some crazy birther? Good god! I mean why should I have to have identification on me at all times? I know who I am.

Thats why I brought up the national IDs. I dont know the exact details of how legal citizen is recognised from illegal ones in the US, but your description sounds like a big mess. Requiring all citizens to carry IDs is the simplest solution, and it works great all over the world for decades.

What, should they start tattooing people when they pick them up for these Citizenship Sweeps? That way they always have their identification number proudly displayed on their forearm while they await being verified in INS Detention facilities.

Unsubstantiated fear mongering.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This is one of the numerous threads on ATS that deals with the illegal immigration debate. Is it a problem, yes illegal immigration is a problem in the United States of America at this time, along with several other countries. This is a problem that has been around, since the 1940’s when the first guest worker program was implemented by executive order. At that time frame workers from non axis allied powers were invited into the country to assist in the war effort, and it really was not stressed after such was done, that the guest workers were no longer needed, and thus begins the entire problem. The Federal government, for years has known that this was and continues to be an issue, having the power to stop it, enacting and enforcing the laws, to ensure to stem and stop the flow of illegal immigrants from coming into the country. Combined with the ability to actually prevent the growth of such. It has chosen neither to enforce the laws, or to do anything about the problem to this date, often ignoring the problem, until the people cry out and make promises they choose not to keep. Now in the posts here, one person asked about the boarders. Question should be, if you do not believe in countries with boarders, are you willing to risk your life, the lives of your immediate family, the lives of your community for that very idea? How would you like it if a murder, rapist, or a child molester came into the country and lived right next door to you, without the authorities knowing about it? Or what if the person had a very contagious disease, are you willing to risk your health? The borders serve more than just a boundary, rather it also screens for those kinds of people to not let them in. The best example of such I can think of this problem, is after Katrina. When Katrina hit and they evacuated the city of New Orleans, cities that took the people, got in flux of professionals along with the bad elements of society at the same time. So they may have gotten a few additional professionals who can boost the economy, but the crime rates went up as well.
Now some people claim these kinds of laws unfairly target the Hispanic community, and we are not worried about those from Canada, but all statistics that have come out, is that the majority of the illegal immigrants are coming up from Mexico, and are Hispanic in origin. This is unfortunately going to seem like profiling, but there are many people from around the world who are sneaking into the country and those who come here and chose not to leave.
The other problem that has occurred, with the way our society is today, how do you determine if a person is an illegal immigrant or not, and how to be able to determine such in a way that would prevent discrimination, or persecution of a group. This problem can not be ignored, nor can the country just absorb in the millions of people who came into the country illegally. There are many issues to this problem and yet the solutions have been far and few between. States like AZ and now Iowa, are having to take matters into their own hands, as it is very clear that the federal government is choosing not to do anything effective, without conditions attached to it. Any solution will not be popular with one group or another, cause it will inevitably be unfavorable to one group or another.
One of the solutions suggested is a national ID card, however the way it is being presented is that it would also collect biometric data. If it did not have all of the biometric data, save that which a state would collect, it would be acceptable, but when it goes beyond that, then one must wonder what the ultimate goal of the Federal Government, and what they would want all of that information on file on everyone.

<< 1   >>

join