It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Method to erase traumatic memories may be on the horizon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Method to erase traumatic memories may be on the horizon

www.baltimoresun.com

Soldiers haunted by scenes of war and victims scarred by violence may wish they could wipe the memories from their minds. Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University say that may someday be possible.

A commercial drug remains far off — and its use would be subject to many ethical and practical questions. But scientists have laid a foundation with their discovery that proteins can be removed from the brain's fear center to erase memories forever.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This story is disturbing to me. Yes, I know many people have very traumatizing events happen in their lives and wish they couldn't remember it but what if they really couldn't remember it?

How is this different from a chemical lobotomy?

This quote is particularly telling, in my opinion:

Further, he said, the safeguards necessary to protect the process from abuse would be difficult.

I wonder who is funding this research...

www.baltimoresun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
How can they only erase bad memories? I don't understand how this wouldn't make someone sort of a zombie. How can they distinguish between what they want to erase and what they want to remember?

I'd like to forget some things, but I think I am the person I am because of who I was, and what I remember. If I forgot everything, even the painful stuff, I might be someone else in the end.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It is disturbing, I agree. Even if the memory were able to be 'erased' or suppressed...the memory of the event is not the only impacter on a person. I imagine the fears and sensations of such an event would remain in some way, embedded in our nervous system...or subconscious, or soul (if you wish to go there). And with that you have only emotional symptoms/disturbances with no logical reference with which to explain them.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think some people cling for dear life to the idea of a permanence that doesn't exist. The whole argument that we are the people we are because of our memories is somewhat misleading. Looking back at my own life as I approach 30 years of age, I think it's fair to say that I don't remember 20 years of the 30. Sure I remember significant events and trends, I could tell you where I lived and maybe who my friends were.. but I can't remember but 10 years worth of details if that. Also, and my wife will attest to this, of the 10 years I do remember I probably only remember 2-3 of them accurately.

We like to imagine ourselves as one solid stream of consciousness. I don't believe this to be true. "Who we are" changes like the weather on a day to day basis.. we just have the illusion of permanence. It is how we decide to react to our memories in any given moment that is much more important that what we actually remember.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

Very well said. What is happening in our lives currently, every moment, changes the associations, and thus memories, that are played back and recalled to us...also how those memories are recalled to us. Some associations, as with traumatic events, are stronger than others and effect a much more visceral reaction in us but, they are still just that...associations constantly changing, moving one from the other. Erasing one or two or a handful of them will not do anything to change us as a whole person.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This is very disturbing.. MIB neuralizers.. See something you weren't supposed to? No worries. You'll never remember a thing! Tortured until you ratted on your neighbors for having a root cellar and a garden? No worries, you won't remember any of that happening either. It'll be just as big a shock to you when they get raided as it is to them.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I understand the "con" arguments, but Ive seen the men and women suffering from PTDS myself. A chemical lobotomy would be a blessing to some. SInce the first gulf war, we have had incredible numbers of suicides, homicides, assaults, violent crime, and homelessness.. and in the majority of the cases Ive read about and been involved in myself.. ptsd from battle or the issues surrounding battle are the reasons. There is a significant risk to these folks and their families.. plus very much lowered quality of life.

We have a tent city in Mo that is ran like a military barracks specifically for the ex military homeless. Its working and the thing is that the stats coming out of the place prove out the fact that PTSD is much much more prolific and severe than thought previously.

One man I dealt with was better off than others so I asked.. why? HE said that it was an unjust war and the brain and emotions cant handle it. He was not antiAmerican or anti war.. and was very very clear on that. It that these wars we are engaged in arent being fought or handled like wars and your are killing those you have previously befriended. The horrors arent any differnt than any other war obviously,but the methods are.. and these methods are destroying our military. Active haev few resources and they are afraid to 4f.. so they dont seek help even when they know they need it.

We're in a mess and Im looking forward to ANYTHING that can help these soldiers.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This will be the next "service" the TSA offers after you get molested by their enhanced pat down procedures.

I'm only halfway joking.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
One man I dealt with was better off than others so I asked.. why? HE said that it was an unjust war and the brain and emotions cant handle it. He was not antiAmerican or anti war.. and was very very clear on that. It that these wars we are engaged in arent being fought or handled like wars and your are killing those you have previously befriended. The horrors arent any differnt than any other war obviously,but the methods are.. and these methods are destroying our military. Active haev few resources and they are afraid to 4f.. so they dont seek help even when they know they need it.

We're in a mess and Im looking forward to ANYTHING that can help these soldiers.

Well I can tell you that the right answer is not doing away with memories. The right answer is doing away with unjust wars!

ETA: And, if you do away with soldiers' memories of such things, then doesn't that proliferate the ability of governments to have unjust wars? Think about it... if you erase the memories of the people there, then no one will know!
edit on 23/11/2010 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

You bet this will be used by the government for "national security reasons". After all, if you don't remember, you can't complain.

Since the military usually has tech before the general public, I wonder if this is already being used?

A few years ago there was a book, I think the name was something like "Secret Don't Tell" . It was about hypnosis and how they used drugs to make the perfect spy. Someone who wouldn't remember they even were a spy.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
reply to post by harrytuttle

Since the military usually has tech before the general public, I wonder if this is already being used?

Ask Bob Lazar.

This has been available to gov't for a long, long time.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Exactly. All memories - good and bad - are an integral part of who we are.

Traumatic Memory Erasion sounds like something from a creepy, Orwellian science-fiction film.
edit on 23-11-2010 by chips because: Typo

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Is this thread going to turn into a discussion about the recent American Dad episode in which Stan (the evil CIA father) has his wife Francine hypnotised into forgetting all the things he doesn't want to deal with?

Please...say it ain't so!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I would ever opt for such a procedure to erase my memories of an event.. Even if I got brutally violated in some way.. It just.. I dunno I feel like i'd be getting lobotomized.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

About half of my Nam friends will welcome this technology as they are trying to do it on their own with drugs and alcohol and it still doesn't even come close to getting rid of the pain of memories.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I agree. I think this is bad technology, and probably goes back to military spending, which goes back to bigpharm, which then connects to monsanto, WHO, and the ones who make the Electricity.

people were not meant to have their minds erased by anyone or thing other than life and death.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i found a way to get rid of bad memories a long time ago... booze!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Well I can tell you that the right answer is not doing away with memories. The right answer is doing away with unjust wars!

ETA: And, if you do away with soldiers' memories of such things, then doesn't that proliferate the ability of governments to have unjust wars? Think about it... if you erase the memories of the people there, then no one will know!
edit on 23/11/2010 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

This ^^^^

Our memories are the only thing that gives us the ability to right the wrongs in our society and is the one thing required for morality to exist. It is the best weapon against injustices and without it, all the other weapons are useless.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

You may not actively remember everything, but your subconscious does. At the risk of waxing metaphysical, your experiences make up your entire being, how you react to environmental stimuli- emotionally and physically.

No drug will ever be able to pick and choose which "memory to suppress." It's just not possible. These drugs will simply alter chemical reactions, which probably isn't healthy in the long run.

I've got a ton of memories that can send me into a downward spiral of sadness, disgust, and a general miasma (metaphorically speaking) of the "soul" as a result of a not-so-good childhood, bad personal decisions and what-not...but I'll keep them, thanks. I will never be anything other than "myself," for better or worse.

Then again- there is natural selection to think of as well. If people don't know how to react to frightening situations, they'll likely just die off...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was an amazing movie...I think I'll watch it again tonight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join