It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Known Terror Suspect Gets Hazardous Materials license

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Just when you think you've heard it all. Security issues in the U.S.A. were quite bad before the attacks of September 11, 2001. The following report will show that a man who was suspected to be a part of an Al-Qaeda "sleeper cell" was able to obtain a hazardous materials license months after he was Identified as a suspect terrorist...

ABCNEWS.com

The FBI identified Mohamad Kamal Elzahabi as a suspected terrorist before the attacks of 2001, the Star Tribune reported in Wednesday's editions, citing unidentified law enforcement officials.

Yet Minnesota Department of Public Safety officials said they did not know that Elzahabi was suspected of having al-Qaida connections when he applied in early 2002 for a commercial license to drive a school bus and haul hazardous materials.

Elzahabi, 41, was charged Friday with lying to federal authorities about helping ship sophisticated portable field radios to Pakistan from 1995-97 and lying about helping a man, later convicted in Jordan as a terrorist, obtain a driver's license in Massachusetts.

Before Elzahabi got the commercial driver's license in early 2002, the FBI ran his name through a database and cleared him, Pat McCormack, interim director of the state Public Safety Department's Division of Driver and Vehicle Licensing, told the Star Tribune in Wednesday's editions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wish I could think of something amazing to write here.

But this report leaves me stunned. How could someone named a terrorist suspect (Al-Qaeda) obtain a hazardous materials license?

[edit on 1-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Repeat after me:

"The U.S. government and its bureacratic agencies will NEVER EVER EVER be efficient enough to completely eliminate these type of oversites and incompetence."

It is populated with human beings - a lot of them below the IQ bar - and too many of them as well.

If you think about it - though every time these things are revealed and made public (which they should be for the shame factor) it kind of shocks us, it's more or a less a matter of pointing out the obvious.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
OVERSITE MY ASS!!!!

Read Carefully:

The FBI identified Mohamad Kamal Elzahabi as a suspected terrorist before the attacks of 2001...

Before Elzahabi got the commercial driver's license in early 2002, the FBI ran his name through a database and cleared him.

That isn't an Oversite. Even Incompetence is 'reaching' since Incompetence would be more along the lines of the FBI having no clue at all who he was to begin with.

No, this seems a bit more deliberate or dare I say, purposeful negligence.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This is not an oversite. Give me a break!

"FBI ran his name through a database and cleared him"

Simply try to apply for a weapons permit with a criminal record and see what happens. Heck, in NJ you go through the same background check in obtaining a permit to purchase a hand BB gun as you do for a real handgun.

If they call this an oversite, I really feel safe now.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I think best case scenario would be incompetence, worst case scenario purely malicious and deliberate "oversite".

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Thank goodness they got him now. But, it makes you wonder who else could get a HazMat license because of ovesight or whatever. Man, that is almost the perfect opportunity for terroist.

new topics

top topics

join