It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A pill to reduce bad memories?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
They have been working on this for years now.

Drug to erase memory- Eternal Sunshine

McGill Scientists Aim to Rewire Traumatic Thoughts (Real Mind Control!)

I swear there was another thread about this same thing last year, but the search on ATS has always been sort of bad in my opinion. I say that because I recall participating in another thread about a pill doing this in the last year or so, yet I cannot find it.

I will say that I do not agree with the idea. Yes, traumatic memories are bad and they hurt, but without our past we would not be who we are today. I have had horrible things take place in my past, if I forget them though I forget a part of who I am.

I might have to deal with bad memories to remain who I am and they might hurt me from time to time but that is better than getting a part of me removed.

My main fear is that if we start to work in this direction we will venture into an even more dangerous direction of mind erasing and the making of human drones.

Raist

[Post posted in other existing thread as well]
edit on 11/23/10 by Raist because: fixed link

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind anybody?

Dope. Raist seems to have just beat me to it

edit on 23-11-2010 by Revolution-2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It should come in 3 dose strengths:

1. The girl you slept with last night.
2. How much value your house has lost.
3. Anything after the moon landing.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Hrmm, I read the article, and another from a different website and found nothing that suggests a pill that removes memories.

What I did find was a drug that allows the brain to remap a memory so that the negative association with it is lessened..

So, instead of seeing a spider and associating a debilitating fear, you'd see a spider and be able to deal with it.

But never fear (pun intended), it's all about the government being able to drug you, remove the memories of what they just did, and have you merrily plod along in the machine.

It is ATS afterall...

Oh and btw, psychology has been doing this without drugs for a long time, but by getting you to relive an event over and over remembering more and more mundane detail about it so that memories that install an instant panic and irrational constant negative emotive state are grounded to more rational things thus lessening the impact and allowing you to function.

In other words, your brain remaps the event so that it is not instantly the dire and traumatic association, but something you can focus on and work through.

Anyway, everyone knows psychologists are baloney, the government is out to kill us all and reptilians feed on fear.... oh wait, this is a smorgasbord!!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Hmm while reading this in many of the UK news papers this morning and also online.. It makes me wonder what the real agenda is here,

However, this sounds new.. We all know that this is not "coughs" MKULTRA" and many other secret government projects,

Anyway, this is the Article,

A drug which appears to erase painful memories has been developed by scientists.
The astonishing treatment could help sufferers of post-traumatic stress disorder and those whose lives are plagued by hurtful recurrent memories.
But British experts said the breakthrough raises disturbing ethical questions about what makes us human.
They also warned it could have damaging psychological consequences, preventing those who take it from learning from their mistakes

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Read the article in full to get the gist,

My issue here is that this could be majorly miss used, I understand that people who have major trauma's in life find it hard to continue with those thoughts ect but as humans I believe that we need the bad with the good in order to grow and change,

How far could this go and how out of hand could this get?

So sure, they plan to use it on those with trauma but where does it stop?

Could we really put our trust in the people that would be prescribing this? Opps you know too much and opps now you can remember anything.....

It seems the answer to everything these days is "here swallow this"

Again, I think experience's what ever they may be shape us as people, some would say there’s no pain no gain,
I believe this would be messing with nature and that’s never a good thing!

IMO anyway, I would be very interested in your thoughts on this...

this is neat

very eternal sunshine. cant tell you how many people would be lining up to take this.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is great for those who are haunted by traumatic memories to the point they are unable to live their life, it could greatly increase their quality of life.

But with every drug there is potential misuse, and thinking about how it could be developed and how it 'could' be used is worrying.

Then again I am sure other methods have been used previously.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I don't think I'd want it. My painful memories define the person I am today
Also, the idea of a pill having that much power over me freaks me out.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Two drugs said to have similar effects:

Ibogain

Opiates

PTSD is quite a serious illness and doctors should know about treating it with these drugs.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I suggest reading The Giver to anyone who would ever consider taking such a pill.
en.wikipedia.org...

The memories one has no matter how good or bad is what makes a person who they are, it makes one an individual. If one starts to remove memories you will need to remove them all good and bad in order to completely get rid of any memory. Without such memories you become nothing more than a drone.

This is a very serious concept that I find highly dangerous.

Raist

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

TextTextText Beige
surely buy using something like that it would be dangourus.. as it would erase allot of learnt necciceery things too. and who knwo how much.. personal if i could erase all the bad bits then there wouldnt be much left to carry on the upward stuggle with the other things each experiance has left a mark on.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
So, sci-fi futuristic. Why have any memory, it gets in the way of us as production machines. I'll take some and how about Hybernol(reference to SNL) until work hours, becoming a full factory drone for tptb.

Nice warning issue, but they won't mention that to the people forced to take it and be happy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join