It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A pill to reduce bad memories?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Hmm while reading this in many of the UK news papers this morning and also online.. It makes me wonder what the real agenda is here,

However, this sounds new.. We all know that this is not "coughs" MKULTRA" and many other secret government projects,

Anyway, this is the Article,

A drug which appears to erase painful memories has been developed by scientists.
The astonishing treatment could help sufferers of post-traumatic stress disorder and those whose lives are plagued by hurtful recurrent memories.
But British experts said the breakthrough raises disturbing ethical questions about what makes us human.
They also warned it could have damaging psychological consequences, preventing those who take it from learning from their mistakes

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Read the article in full to get the gist,

My issue here is that this could be majorly miss used, I understand that people who have major trauma's in life find it hard to continue with those thoughts ect but as humans I believe that we need the bad with the good in order to grow and change,

How far could this go and how out of hand could this get?

So sure, they plan to use it on those with trauma but where does it stop?

Could we really put our trust in the people that would be prescribing this? Opps you know too much and opps now you can remember anything.....

It seems the answer to everything these days is "here swallow this"

Again, I think experience's what ever they may be shape us as people, some would say there’s no pain no gain,
I believe this would be messing with nature and that’s never a good thing!

IMO anyway, I would be very interested in your thoughts on this...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Sounds like the type of drug you'd give to... sheep.

What's to say it wont erase other wanted memories?

I would never take a drug like that, which would purposely affect my memory.. you never know what other memories it might affect.
edit on 23-11-2010 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
You should see what they have done to me.

What happens if these people start treating you thinking your someone else. Like how they perved into our home, and they came to a conclusion that someone that was in the army was me, although he only lived with us a month.

Just shows you how rubbish these people are.

Very dangerous things like this exist and weapons to use on humans. What happens when these clowns are wrong?

Me personally i want to remember my life.

p.s for peopel perving into my home, i have never been in no army clowns.
edit on 11/23/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Hey Asala!

As a person who has had PTSD for roughly 30 years now, I want to chime in and say something that is actually embarrassing, difficult, and very painful to say... Even with the moral, ethical, psychological, health risks all added together - the humiliation of feeling myself to be weak - and an overpowering gut sense of self-betrayal in feeling how I feel as this all sinks into my mind...

I'd take this pill in a second. Even if it shaved off half of my remaining life. I'd swallow it without a moments hesitation.

This is the nature of PTSD.

Probably not the best of things to say on a site where half the people think the other half are paid posters and government agents. But it is the truth.

To end the nightmares, panic attacks, inability to be truly intimate (emotionally not physically) it would be worth just about any price... Even something as frightening as this.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO
What's to say it wont erase other wanted memories?

Yep what about knowing about gov secrets or gov programs etc.... The list of abuse by these people could be endless.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I do understand it from that kind of event, And if thats something you felt that would help you life then i would say go for it and be personal choice,
i speak as someone who fortunately has not had such a bad experience and maybe i would feel differently if i had,

My main fear would be the misuse of such a drug that would be easy to obtain, x
Thanks for your input

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Using beta blockers is done all the time. Actors, musicians and people who are afraid of public speaking take beta blockers. I have done so before a stressful interview, and it is helpful.
Drugs called "beta-blockers" are non-habit forming, inexpensive, and can stop the huge rush of adrenaline that occurs with anxiety right before a speech. When taken prior to a performance situation, beta-blockers can help to reduce the physical symptoms related to performance anxiety, including palpitations, hyperventilation, trembling lips, and sweating palms. Also, many anxious speakers and performers prefer beta-blockers to other drugs because they allow them to remain mentally alert, which is not always the case with all medications used to treat anxiety.

As with almost any medication, however, drug interactions and unwanted side effects could potentially occur.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
And one more thing, better living through chemistry is not always a bad thing. Life is hard, life is stressful, and what is so bad about taking off the 'edge' a little bit? If we weren't so terrified of 'drugs' in general, and could think beyond bias and how the 'Powers That Be' have conditioned us to 'look down' on people who use drugs to feel better. We might come to a more common-sense approach. There are things put on this earth to heal and help us that we have been told are evil and bad. Malarkee! Only in the past 100 years have we lost our God given right to use the plants on this earth, to make our lives a little easier. To add comfort. Even 60 years ago, people could walk into a store and purchase various products without a doctors prescription, to take off the edge. In today's world we must be 'permitted' to to so from a doctor. It is amazing that they haven't outlawed alcohol without a prescription at this point.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

Snooker players used to take beta blockers a few decades back, before i think they where banned.

Would help in snooker, lol.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

My PTSD was borne of a cardiac problem which caused me to have severe irregular heart rates, leading, ultimately to a full cardiac arrest. For the first 13 1/2 years of my PTSD symptoms I was taking propanolol hydrochloride (a beta blocker) for my cardiac issues.

While I cannot honestly state that there was no benefit from doing so, as I have no way of knowing how severe my symptoms would have been at that time without the beta blocker... I can say that my recollection of the symptoms, during that period, seem to me (relying upon memory) to be just about as severe as they have been in the 16 or 17 years since I stopped taking the pills.

If I were offered this medication again, by my doctor, I would try it, of course. But, all in all, there are medications which are far more effective for controlling most of the symptoms I experience.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I knew science was going to head in this direction, and I am absolutely sure this will be detrimental to the human mind. As our tech./society/and every day lives become more complex, people will look for quick "fixes" to their problems, but ultimately these "fixes" will only resort to more problems. People do not have the time or want to take the time to study and master their own mind, so they will let others do it for them.

The idea that they can target "bad" memories versus "good" memories through the use of drugs which aide in chemical alteration is a disaster and will surely result in negative side effects. They will increase serotonin and dopamine levels artificially, which will aide in the cessation of "bad" thought patterns, but ultimately this will weaken the minds ability to produce these chemicals naturally on its own in a balanced manner. Thus they will become dependent on drug after drug to counter act each side effect until they are essentially walking drug labs and zombies.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
i think it is crucial to our development as people to retain our memories.
our experiences shape our consciousness, traumas, though horrifying, give plenty of fodder for growth.
i understand many people need help working through painful experiences before they can achieve some type of growth through them. our culture turns to quickly to chemical treatments when a more holistic approach should be used first. therapy is a good start, but i know it doesnt "work" for everyone. so chemicals often become the first and last resort. im losing my train of thought here...
anyways... drugs that erase memories are not the answer imo
we should return to a time we "shamans" or "healers" assist with chemical manipulation of the mind in order to reconcile a person with the trauma instead of trying to make it "disappear".

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Wow.
Sounds like Soma.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
i dont follow you

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I don't see how erasing ones memory would eliminate the subconscious physical reactions and emotions when confronted with reminders of the event. The memory may be gone but other parts of the brain are still trained to react to certain events, and I theorize that the emotions would still be there, the person just wouldn't remember why.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Let's call it SOMA since it is straight out of Huxley's 'Brave New World'.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Pills are really quite amazing aren't they? I'd be very interested to know what kind of medical study was done to approve this pill.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MurrayTORONTO

Can you imagine???no no not anymore I can't! ha ha I need to keep what memory I have left, good or bad,thank you very much.Like the one poster said it's a sheople pill.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

A drug which appears to erase painful memories has been developed by scientists.

They already did this, we call this BEER

Just a joke, thanks for the information....
edit on 23-11-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

This is great news people!
Perhaps the government will help you forget about something they did to you, to others or what you`ve been told to do.
If this project evolves they could interrogate you, search your homes, and frame you. The prospects are limitless. How very Orwellian? How much time until they take yours thoughts?

Could this same drug reduce good memories too? Could parents look back at the birth of their children with apathy? Could this greatly effect human development in general? Our experiences greatly alter the way we behave in the future. Couldn't reducing the power of memories reduce out ability to learn from our mistakes? On the opposite end, is there a test for these drugs? I think our politicians have already been taking them for quite some time.

At least, maybe they should summon their considerable resources to find a way to do research without torturing animals.

Nothing good will come with this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join