It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torture memo author John Yoo compared waterboarding to speeding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Torture memo author John Yoo compared waterboarding to speeding

www.rawstory.com

Former Justice Department lawyer and 'torture memo' author John Yoo compared George W. Bush's decision to waterboard suspected terrorists to a driver's decision to go the full speed limit.

Yoo used a speeding metaphor to explain that just because he gave George W. Bush the legal justification for the decision to waterboard Khalid Sheikh Muhammed didn't mean Bush had to go through with it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

"Just because a law says you can drive 65 miles per hour doesn't mean you have to drive 65 miles per hour," Yoo said. "There's still a lot of discretion and choice that the leaders of our government had to make."

"I know part of the job from being the lawyer is defending sometimes unpopular decisions that your clients make. I'm willing to do that part of the job. But I also think that there's no escaping responsibility if people who make the policy decision," Yoo said during an interview on CNN on Friday evening.

Here, we have Yoo backpeddling, trying to clear his name from responsibility. Is this indicative of things to come? Is he feeling pressure and trying to escape a possible future prosecution? That's sure what it looks like to me.

Regardless, I don't think that Bush's excuse for using torture is good enough, as ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse to break the law. It matters not who told you what the law is. Each one of us is responsible for knowing the law and you or I would not escape prosecution if we said that someone told us we could it, so then why should a President be able to use that excuse? A President, who should be held to a higher standard than everyone else, seeing the nature of his job and all.

--airspoon

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-11-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
What disgusting people there are on earth.

One thing is for sure usa and uk do not need to learn anything about torture from so called communist countries.

new topics

join