It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by jonny2410
Dang a quintuple post! ^^
South Korean naval ships are seen off Yeonpyeong island November 25, 2010. North Korea fired dozens of artillery shells at the South Korean border island on Tuesday, killing two South Korean soldiers and two civilians and setting houses ablaze in the heaviest attack on its neighbor since the Korean War ended in 1953
Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by jonny2410
It is true.
I can confirm the presence. Increased military on the Island too, something are considering the prospect of a retaliation before the US fleet arrives thus making a return strike difficult, without the North declaring war on the United States.
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) — North Korea warned Thursday it would launch more attacks on South Korea if its southern neighbor makes more “reckless military provocations,” according to several reports citing a statement by the North Korean military,
The statement, carried by North Korean state media, said Pyongyang “will wage second and even third rounds of attacks without any hesitation, if warmongers in South Korea make reckless military provocations again,” according to a translation quoted by Reuters.
AFP - Secretive North Korea put its leader-in-waiting on show Sunday at a huge military parade, introducing the youngest son of current ruler Kim Jong-Il to its people and the world on live television.
Kim Jong-Un, believed aged about 27, stood near his father at the Pyongyang parade, applauding and saluting as thousands of goose-stepping troops marched past along with trucks carrying missiles and other weaponry.
Originally posted by jonny2410
reply to post by Regensturm
Indeed, the fact NK has not made a fuss about the retaliation is certainly a good sign.
I'll say it again, i would be stunned if North Korea attacks or does anything militarily during these coming drills.
Originally posted by Regensturm
reply to post by mars1
And there we were worrying about itchy trigger fingers!
Thanks for the link.
Seoul expressed frustration with Beijing for not taking sides, noting even Russia had condemned this week's attack.
"We must engage with China for it to take more responsibility on North Korea's behaviour," said a government official, who asked not to be identified.
China has long propped up the Pyongyang leadership, worried that a collapse of the North could bring instability to its own borders. Beijing is also wary of a unified Korea that would be dominated by the United States, the key ally of the South.
There was no let-up in the typically bellicose language used by North Korea.
"(North Korea) will wage second and even third rounds of attacks without any hesitation if warmongers in South Korea make reckless military provocations again," the North's KCNA news agency quoted a statement from the military as saying.
"The U.S. cannot evade the blame for the recent shelling," it added. "If the U.S. truly desires detente on the Korean peninsula, it should not thoughtlessly shelter the South Korean puppet forces, but strictly control them so that they may not commit any more adventurous military provocations."
North Korea said the shelling was in self-defence after Seoul fired shells into its waters. The South Korean government official said Seoul had been shocked by the attack for its "indiscriminate bombing of civilians".
"We could not imagine such a grave provocation," he said. "But now we see any kind of provocation is possible ... and it makes it very easy to respond in the future."
The official said Tuesday's artillery attack on Yeonpyeong island could only have been ordered by reclusive North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.
Kim and his son and designated heir, Jong-un, visited the Yellow Sea coastal artillery base from where shells were fired at Yeonpyeong just hours before the attack, North Korean media reported.
"This kind of serious provocation could only be planned by Kim Jong-il," the official said, adding the attack was also designed to promote the younger Kim's military credentials.
U.S. officials have said the attack appeared linked to the upcoming succession in North Korea's leadership.
Statement Released by Spokesman of DPRK Foreign Ministry
Pyongyang, November 24 (KCNA) -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry Wednesday issued the following statement:
As already reported by the Supreme Command of the KPA, the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK on Nov. 23 took a decisive self-defensive measure to cope with the enemy's reckless military provocation of firing shells inside the territorial waters of the DPRK side around Yonphyong Islet in the West Sea of Korea.
The army of the DPRK warned several times that if even a single shell of the enemy is fired inside the territorial waters of the DPRK, it will take a prompt retaliatory strike in connection with the live shell firing drill they planned to stage from Yonphyong Islet while conducting the ill-famed war maneuvers for a war of aggression against the DPRK codenamed Hoguk.
At 8:00 a.m. on Nov. 23, the very day the incident occurred, the head of the delegation of the DPRK side to the inter-Korean military talks sent a telephone message to the head of the delegation of the enemy side once again strongly urging it to cancel the plan for staging the above-said firing drill in the waters around the islet, the sensitive waters.
This notwithstanding, the enemy committed such an extremely reckless military provocation as firing dozens of shells from the islet inside the territorial waters of the DPRK side from around 13:00.
The enemy fired shells from the islet which is so close to the territory of the DPRK that it is within each other's eyeshot despite the fact that there are so many mountains and rivers, sea waters and islets in south Korea. This powder-reeking saber-rattling cannot be construed otherwise than a politically motivated provocation.
The enemy is claiming that they fired shells southward from the islet in a bid not to get on the nerves of the DPRK but Yonphyong Islet is located deep inside the territorial waters of the DPRK away from the maritime military demarcation line. If live shells are fired from the islet, they are bound to drop inside the territorial waters of the DPRK side no matter in which direction they are fired because of such geographical features.
The ulterior aim sought by the enemy is to create the impression that the DPRK side recognized the waters off the islet as their "territorial waters", in case that there was no physical counter-action on the part of the former.
Herein lies the crafty and vicious nature of the enemy's provocation.
The army of the DPRK took such a self-defensive measure as making a prompt powerful strike at the artillery positions from which the enemy fired the shells as it does not make an empty talk.
This incident is one more dangerous development which took place because of the illegal "northern limit line" unilaterally fixed by Clark, UN forces commander, as he pleased on Aug. 30, 1953 after the conclusion of the Korean Armistice Agreement.
The U.S., its followers and some bosses of international bodies should drop such bad habit as thoughtlessly accusing somebody before learning about the truth about the incident.
If they shield south Korea, the criminal, without principle, just for being their ally, this is little short of feeding oil to the fire.
The DPRK that sets store by the peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula is now exercising superhuman self-control but the artillery pieces of the army of the DPRK, the defender of justice, remain ready to fire.